Author Topic: History of Forgiveness Vespers  (Read 167 times)

Offline Mercurius1

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
History of Forgiveness Vespers
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:53:11 PM »
I'm a recent convert to orthodox and have really fallen in love with Forgiveness Vespers and what it represents. What is the history of this service? There is not  whole lot info on it

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: History of Forgiveness Vespers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
In old, good times, monks and nuns were abandoning their monasteries, so, in consequence, their brotherhood/sisterhood, for the time of the Great Lent, to spend this holy time in a desert. In a desert there live wild animals, that can kill a human being. So, on the last day before the Great Lent, before this dangerous trip, they were aware of the fact that they may not come back to the monastery and their brothehood/sisterhood. So, they wanted to be prepared for a potential death and be reconciled with everybody.

Later it's been adapted also by parish churches (along with other monastic liturgical traditions) as a general prepration for the Great Lent, and fullfilment of the Gospel that's read on the Forgiveness Sunday (Matthew 6: 14-21).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)