OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:12:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad news for those who have seen "The Deer Hunter"  (Read 1405 times) Average Rating: 0
Kapitanios Michalis

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« on: October 06, 2005, 09:59:40 AM »

Thieves rip copper from dome on old church
10/6/2005, 6:55 a.m. ET
The Associated Press   

CLEVELAND (AP) — One of the domes atop Ohio's oldest Russian Orthodox church was peeled of its copper covering by thieves who apparently wanted to sell the metal for scrap.

Police say the thieves also took five copper downspouts.

Father John Zdinak estimated the damage to St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral at as much as $20,000.

While the going rate for copper is at its highest in years — about $1.25 a pound — the stolen copper probably wouldn't fetch more than $100.

The church, which appeared in scenes of the Oscar-winning film "The Deer Hunter," is topped with 13 onion-shaped copper domes, one for Jesus and each of his 12 apostles. And at each of the four corners of the church, there are smaller half-domes.

Police say the thieves who struck Tuesday night chose the half-dome on the southeast side of the church, which is hard to see from the road, climbed up with a ladder and ripped off at least a dozen of the copper panels and the downspouts.

"I feel like I've been violated," said Ted Lentz, the church caretaker, as he looked up at the damage Wednesday. "Who could steal from God?"

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 11:18:20 AM »

Sad new for ANY Orthodox or even someone who calls themselves a Christian.

I've only seen a few minutes of that movie, but sad news indeed.
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 12:28:51 PM »

I haven't seen the movie, but I do agree that that is very sad news. Sad 

Lord have mercy!

In Christ,
the sinner, Mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
arjuna3110

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 02:46:58 PM »

"Who could steal from God?" 

Indeed.

Remember me, Oh Lord, when You come into Your kingdom.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 04:14:25 PM »

I've been to Ted Lenz's house (I'm friends with his son, who is currently sudying at SVS), and to the Church.  It's a bad neighborhood, and I can understand how there would be people there gutsy enough to pull this off.

God Bless St. Theodosios and their community...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
orth_christian2000

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in Canada

He must increase, I must decrease...

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 04:50:20 PM »

Sad news indeed Sad.

Truly, who could steal from God?  It's funny you guys should mention this.  I was reading the Toronto Sun the other day, and there is a Roman Catholic Church in the area, where someone came into the Church and stole a Crucifix of Christ from one of the walls.  A Cross!  They STOLE a Cross?  It boggles the mind.  Lord have mercy, what more are we going to see!

Sincerest wishes with the St. Theodosius parish...it is in trials that we are beautified all the more.  The Good Lord give them strength and solidarity in this time of hurt and confusion.

Kyrie Eleison

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner
PerogiPincher

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 07:04:15 PM »

Oh dear.  Yes. Very disheartening. I am beyond words... but not without prayer.

O Lord save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to all Othodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by the power of thy cross,
Preserve us in thy habitation.
orth_christian2000

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in Canada

He must increase, I must decrease...

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 12:09:21 AM »

Hey all, some good news to comment on.  Earlier in this thread, I told you guys about a Crucifix that was stolen out of a Roman Catholic Church.  Well, reading today's paper, I read that a homeless man was selling the cross on the street, where a "Good Samaritan" as the Toronto Sun called him, saw the man trying to sell it, bought it from him for twenty dollars, and returned it to the Toronto RC parish from where it was taken.  At least some of these senseless acts have a happy ending.

In Christ,
Theodore (Ted)

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner
StephenG

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 09:25:35 AM »

Any attack or theft from a place of worship, regardless of whether it featured in a film or not, is truly regrettable and despicable.

I enjoyed the film and the music very much indeed. Thought provoking.
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 09:57:39 AM »

This is truly sa!
eleni

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 12:30:32 PM »

Hey all.....aThought I would share this with you all "Deer Hunter" fans!
Read below.........................

Police nab men accused of ripping copper from church dome
Saturday, October 15, 2005

CLEVELAND, Ohio (AP) — A police detective said he located copper stolen from a dome atop Ohio’s oldest Russian Orthodox church by inspecting scrap yards’ records.

City laws require scrap dealers to record names, addresses and license plate numbers from those who are selling metal, Cleveland Detective Thomas Smith said.

Smith’s investigation led to two men being charged in the theft.

Timothy Moses Turner, 37, is charged with breaking and entering, and Harry L. Graham, 59, is charged with receiving stolen property. They were arraigned in court Thursday but did not enter pleas.

Father John Zdinak estimated the damage to St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral at as much as $20,000.

The church, which appeared in scenes of the Oscar-winning film “The Deer Hunter,” is topped with 13 onion-shaped copper domes, one for Jesus and each of his 12 apostles. At each of the four corners of the church, there are smaller half-domes.

While the going rate for copper is at its highest in years — about $1.25 a pound — the stolen copper probably wouldn’t fetch more than $100.

Smith said he has found stolen aluminum siding, kitchen sinks, stop signs and parts from cruise missiles in scrap yards since he began investigating metal thefts in 1978.

Smith said he faxes a description of stolen items to scrap yards in the city when he get a case.

“Over the years I’ve built a relationship with the dealers,” he said.

———
http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=13&ID=247302&r=1

IX
helen

A Prudent man foresees evil and hides himself;
The simple pass on and are punished.
-Proverbs27:12-
Tags: movies 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: