Author Topic: 32-bit LINUX Distributions  (Read 922 times)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
32-bit LINUX Distributions
« on: January 16, 2018, 10:09:02 PM »
I recently took possession of a laptop with a Celeron M 1.4 Ghz Processor and 1 GB of RAM.  I'd like to put LINUX on the laptop except 32-bit distributions are becoming an endangered species.  I tried Arch LINUX except I don't consider myself an expert in system administration.  I'm a Fedora fan except Fedora stopped supporting 32-bit architectures.

Does anyone have recent success with installing a 32-bit LINUX distribution on old hardware?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:10:30 PM by SolEX01 »

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
Re: 32-bit LINUX Distributions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 10:14:38 PM »
I use Fedora so...

I know Ubuntu still supports 32 bit, you just have to look for it.
http://releases.ubuntu.com/17.10/

Also there are the lightweight derivatives, like Xubuntu.
I'm done.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:25:19 PM »
Also, Lubuntu.
I'm done.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 01:09:48 AM »
I considered Xubuntu and Lubuntu.  There's also Mint 18.3, Peppermint and Zorin.  I'll have to go to the library where I can download the ISO files for these distributions.  I'll have to learn a new vocabulary with system updates, etc.

The laptop still runs Windows XP.  It's a good laptop.  Too bad Microsoft released 5 operating systems after XP (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10).

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:48:22 AM »
I don't know if I would recommend Zorin - it is a very resource heavy distro from recollection (and isn't too visually appealing).

Peppermint OS is just Linux Mint, except the desktop environment is different along with an emphasis on web apps.

Debian is pretty easy to learn.

I know computers ain't cheap, but consider buying a new computer; programs are becoming more resource heavy - obviously as you would know, wanting to run Linux, and you can do much more with a newer computer.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:50:30 AM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 06:35:03 PM »
I don't know if I would recommend Zorin - it is a very resource heavy distro from recollection (and isn't too visually appealing).

32-bit Zorin looks interesting.

Peppermint OS is just Linux Mint, except the desktop environment is different along with an emphasis on web apps.

Debian is pretty easy to learn.

I could try the XFCE spin of Debian except the laptop comes with a Broadcom wireless card that requires additional firmware.

I know computers ain't cheap, but consider buying a new computer; programs are becoming more resource heavy - obviously as you would know, wanting to run Linux, and you can do much more with a newer computer.

I think I'll e-cycle the laptop if I can't install a modern operating system.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 12:20:22 AM »
The laptop still runs Windows XP.  It's a good laptop.  Too bad Microsoft released 5 operating systems after XP (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10).

I think there are two things I miss about Windows XP.

The first of which is the Solitaire effect when the computer starts lagging

The second of which are the terrible YouTube notepad tutorials with 009 Sound System.

I'm done.

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
I ran Debian Sid on my Celeron M and my two Atom Netbooks, works like a charm but on the thing were Atoms much slower.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
I recently took possession of a laptop with a Celeron M 1.4 Ghz Processor and 1 GB of RAM.  I'd like to put LINUX on the laptop except 32-bit distributions are becoming an endangered species.  I tried Arch LINUX except I don't consider myself an expert in system administration.  I'm a Fedora fan except Fedora stopped supporting 32-bit architectures.

Does anyone have recent success with installing a 32-bit LINUX distribution on old hardware?

Why not use CentOS 6 or Scientific Linux 6?   They still support IA-32, and are basically like Fedora, only more stable.

I really dislike Fedora due to the lack of stability and consistency, which for me is the sole advantge of the Red Hat based architecture.  To the extent that they were at one point very easy to administer, everything has been overgrown with weeds since Systemd, Gnome 3 and so on, so CentOS 6 and other RHEL 6 derivatives are among the last honest to goodness systems available right now.

Debian is a good option if you must have something modern.

If I were you, I would probably go with FreeBSD, which continues to support IA-32 and can easily be bootstrapped into a nice desktop, or you can use PC BSD if setting up FreeBSD as a desktop strikes you as being too hard (I prefer using FreeBSD as a base as I dislike the design of the PC BSD desktop, the use of KDE, et cetrra; with FreeBSD you get a much better experience).

Also, the Illumos derivatives of OpenIndiana continue to provide a surprisingly posh desktop environment; you get the awesomeness of a Solaris core system with the excellent ZFS, virtualization and network virtualization capabilities this entails, but without the miserable Sys V userland that Solaris 10 and earlier were beset with.  Illumos et cetera provide a modern GNU userland, so working with them is basically like working with a cleaner, faster, more reliable build of Linux*.

* With one possible exception: I am not sure where the Illumos team is in terms of addressing Meltdown and Spectre; they are working on it, and if you’re running Solaris on SPARC or apply microcode updates to your cpus (do this before you install Solaris), its less of an issue.  Meltdown and Spectre have caused a lot of problems for the non-Linux UNIX flavors, because developers in the Linux community had been surreptitiously adding patches to the Linux kernel like KAISER, whose real purpose was to mitigate the side-channel attack on virtual memory and predictive execution which led to this mess, whereas the smaller communities like BSD and Illumos (OpenSolaris) were left in the dark, although at present the developers on these communities are making heroic efforts to patch the bug, and OpenBSD’s Theo de Raadt in particular is taking a leading role for his users.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
Linux programming APP is installed in Windows? ...
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline arnI

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 05:31:05 PM »
I run Ubuntu MATE on a old iMac, and it works well. http://ubuntu-mate.org/

"Ubuntu MATE makes modern computers fast and old computers usable."

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »

The laptop successfully boots the Ubuntu MATE DVD except there's no support for the Broadcom Wireless Network adapter.

Looks like I'm stuck with a glorified paper weight.   :(

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 11:20:35 PM »

I would go with LinuxMint for Mate.  Mate is just GNOME 2.0; Linux Mint also developed Cinammon, which unlike Gnome 3 is actually usable.

Gnome 2.x was decent, unlike KDE 3, KDE 4 or XFCE, even though KDE used a better toolkit (Qt).

I really passionately dislike XFCE.

Really though, the worst part of modern Linux is systemd.  Any distro which is devoid of systemd is worth using.  I always preferred the BSDs, and this really sets it in stone.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.