Author Topic: How do YOU show gratitude to your priest?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Nicholas_83

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
How do YOU show gratitude to your priest?
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:02:54 PM »

My confesor has been such a huge blessing. I cannot imagine where my life would be without him.... He's helped me through so much. His guidance and support so important.  How do you come close to adequately showing your gratitude,  and without offending your priest's humility? I'd love it if Father Peter Farrington would chime in.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:03:54 PM by Nicholas_83 »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: How do YOU show gratitude to your priest?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
Next time you ask him a blessing and he offers his hand to veneration, discretely slide a 20 or 50 dollar bill into his hand.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Nicholas_83

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:00:36 PM »
Next time you ask him a blessing and he offers his hand to veneration, discretely slide a 20 or 50 dollar bill into his hand.
Nice  ;)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
Wouldn't that be... gauche?

Rather, make a donation to his parish and keep it discrete, I'd say.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:12:01 PM »
Wouldn't that be... gauche?
Not if no one else notices it...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 02:56:22 AM »

Maybe this works better in Brazil than in some other countries?

It's a small thing, but just by taking an active part in parish life--attending services, offering time for tasks that need to be done, being willing to sit on committees--one is showing how much one appreciates the priest and the work he does. Of course it doesn't hurt to tell him if a particular sermon or chat has been especially helpful as well. And anyone who really appreciates his/her priest will make sure he's receiving an adequate salary so doesn't need to depend on having a 20 or 50 dollar bill pressed into his hand from time to time.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »
I was just joking, sorry :P Don't do this.

Offline Nicholas_83

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 01:59:08 PM »
I was just joking, sorry :P Don't do this.
I caught that. It was funny.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
By paying Church Tax.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 02:33:26 PM »
Do something for your parish or help your priest in his activities.
For example, I've given a few lectures for studens and for adults at my parish (e.g about Orthodoxy in Serbia and Arab countries) and written some articles for the parishwebsite.

It might be hel in preparation for a parish event (baking, decorating, some technical issues etc.).

So, generally, I agree with FinnJames.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 05:57:39 PM »
In Romania they used to have a plate next to the confession seat, and people left tips there.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »
Just say thank you. It can mean a lot. And put what your priest teaches into practice,
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Nicholas_83

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »
And put what your priest teaches into practice,
That does seem to be the key. Challenging but essential

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »

Curiously enough I dont see that much veneration of the hands in Coptic and Syriac parishes.  Not to say that it isnt done, but Ive never seen a Coptic priest or monk hold out his hand to be venerated in the manner of some EO priests, some of whom very clearly extend their hand for that purpose; others seem to have their hands venerated less frequently and to not expect it as much.  For example, a very nice Romanian priest who is a friend of mine seemed almost pleasantly surprised when I venerated his hand rather than merely shaking it.

I myself venerate the hands of clergy whenever possible.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 09:42:58 AM »
In Genesis, God said 'Let there be light' . . .
Learn meditation.

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 03:34:53 PM »

Curiously enough I dont see that much veneration of the hands in Coptic and Syriac parishes.  Not to say that it isnt done, but Ive never seen a Coptic priest or monk hold out his hand to be venerated in the manner of some EO priests, some of whom very clearly extend their hand for that purpose; others seem to have their hands venerated less frequently and to not expect it as much.  For example, a very nice Romanian priest who is a friend of mine seemed almost pleasantly surprised when I venerated his hand rather than merely shaking it.

I myself venerate the hands of clergy whenever possible.
in Romania kissing a priest's hand is mostly an affection of the ultra pious. Most parish priests are sort of embarrassed by it and never demand it.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 04:30:13 PM »
In Romania they used to have a plate next to the confession seat, and people left tips there.

In Poland at some parishes, e.g mine, there are anałojs (you know, this little tables for icons, Gospel, cross etc. that are used for various things, including confession) that have from one side a little box with a hole for money. But only rather Ukrainian and other Eastern Slav imigrants put some money to them after confession. Maybe they have been used in the past or they've been bought e.g in Ukraine.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 05:40:53 PM »
In my own experience, most people will want to take a blessing from a priest. Either they will kiss the priests hand, or if he takes it away from them, will kiss their own hand after they have held theirs out to be touched by the priest.

Offline Nicholas_83

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »
In my own experience, most people will want to take a blessing from a priest. Either they will kiss the priests hand, or if he takes it away from them, will kiss their own hand after they have held theirs out to be touched by the priest.
This habit of priests pulling their hands away had me veey confused at first! I was used to the Eastern Orthodox practice where the hand is not pulled away. I thought I was doing something wrong or that because I was the only non-Egyptian they thought I wasn't Orthodox. .. Thankfully I finally asked and learned it was the priest being humble

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 12:30:58 PM »
I don't usually pull my hand away. There is a time for me to be humble but it is not when someone is asking for a blessing. Or rather, I am always to seek to be humble, but that should not require me to deny someone a blessing. That is for me to struggle with myself.

Offline Čtec

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
I kiss priest's hand when i arrive at the church and when i am about to leave. I do the chanting or help at the altar, it depends on how many People show up at the "choir". Then in the altar i gossip with the priests and deacons the chanting women that they cant chant well.
Sometimes, when i have trouble getting up in the morning for the Liturgy, i tell to myself and the devil, who wants to miss out the gossiping, i don't. Then i get up immediately like in the military. And i  drive really fast towards the church. Then i put on my sticharion and i think that i am important, while everyone else thinks that i am not.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:23:34 PM by Čtec »
"On Mount Konjuh the wind blows, sings. The leafs chant sad songs. Maples and frasers! Pines and birches are swinging together.
The night has put all forest in to black. Mount Konjuh roars, rocks are breaking!
Dead comrade, Pustinja's miner,  being buried by the company of proleters"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyzGJMbHg0E

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 02:42:18 PM »
Ahhhhhh so glad you are here  Čtec!   We have surely missed the presence of a Serb lately!

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Čtec

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »
I am Jewish actually, but i am stuck in Serbian swamp lands.
"On Mount Konjuh the wind blows, sings. The leafs chant sad songs. Maples and frasers! Pines and birches are swinging together.
The night has put all forest in to black. Mount Konjuh roars, rocks are breaking!
Dead comrade, Pustinja's miner,  being buried by the company of proleters"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyzGJMbHg0E

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »
I give my priest a high five.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
Once I tried to kiss a RC priest's hand and he just high-fived me, it was embarassing.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 10:31:07 PM »
Once I tried to kiss a RC priest's hand and he just high-fived me, it was embarassing.

He did the right thing.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »

At least he didn't accidentally palm you in the face.
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 11:27:56 PM »
I think as Father Peter said ~ say thank you ~ and let him see it in your face ```