Author Topic: German [catholic] bishop suggests blessing same-sex unions  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
German [catholic] bishop suggests blessing same-sex unions
« on: January 14, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »
“I’m concerned with fundamental questions of how we deal with each other; although ‘marriage for all’ differs clearly from the church’s concept of marriage, it’s now a political reality,” said Bishop Franz-Josef Bode of Osnabruck.
https://is.gd/bUupEh
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
Re: German [catholic] bishop suggests blessing same-sex unions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
German [catholic] bishop suggests blessing same-sex unions
:police:
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:43:45 AM »
“I’m concerned with fundamental questions of how we deal with each other; although ‘marriage for all’ differs clearly from the church’s concept of marriage, it’s now a political reality,” said Bishop Franz-Josef Bode of Osnabruck.
https://is.gd/bUupEh

Hardly the first time a German Catholic bishop deviates from catholic doctrine.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 02:24:34 AM »
"The world does it, so the Church should as well, since the Church is worldly."

That's how cultural Catholicism feels like, instead of Catholic culture.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:24:59 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:08:22 AM »
As secular culture becomes more accepting of same-sex unions, the Catholic (and Orthodox) Church is going to have to respond in some way on the scale between blessing such couples or excommunicating them. At the moment the Church seems just to be turning a blind eye to them. But it will become harder and harder for everyone to pretend that no one sees the elephant in the room as it grows bigger and bigger. So maybe the bishop is doing everyone a service by bringing up the topic.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 03:54:00 AM »
As secular culture becomes more accepting of same-sex unions, the Catholic (and Orthodox) Church is going to have to respond in some way on the scale between blessing such couples or excommunicating them. At the moment the Church seems just to be turning a blind eye to them. But it will become harder and harder for everyone to pretend that no one sees the elephant in the room as it grows bigger and bigger.

+1

Turning a blind eye might be a Finnish phenomenon though. Assumingly EOs are stricter elsewhere. To the other extreme end in Russia for example.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »
Would you bless people who left the Church and got married outside the Church?

Why should there be a greater standard for homosexual people - a case in which it is never moral?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:36:12 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 09:53:33 PM »
Honestly, I don't think the analogy works...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 10:32:39 PM »
Honestly, I don't think the analogy works...

How so?

If you are getting married in a homosexual manner, you are obviously getting married outside the Church.
If you want to be blessed by the Orthodox Church, obviously you are returning to the Orthodox Church in some manner.
I'm done.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 10:37:00 PM »
Marriages outside the Orthodox Church between a man and a woman may be simply "natural marriages", and may be properly blessed without "remarriage" if the couple enters the Orthodox Church, depending on the tradition.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:37:13 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 02:32:59 AM »
Marriages outside the Orthodox Church between a man and a woman may be simply "natural marriages", and may be properly blessed without "remarriage" if the couple enters the Orthodox Church, depending on the tradition.

That may be true, but I don't see how it could be used as a precedent for blessing same-sex couples who have been married in a civil ceremony unless the Church softens its teaching that homosexual acts are always sinful or instructs the couple that they are not to enjoy each other physically although all other aspects of their relationship are under blessing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:34:09 AM by FinnJames »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 03:04:34 AM »
That may be true, but I don't see how it could be used as a precedent for blessing same-sex couples who have been married in a civil ceremony unless the Church softens its teaching that homosexual acts are always sinful or instructs the couple that they are not to enjoy each other physically although all other aspects of their relationship are under blessing.
It couldn't, that's why I thought it wasn't a good analogy.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
Same sex marriage is nothing new.  Even the emperor Nero married other men twice; once as the groom, once as the bride.  Thus, the Church should continue doing what she's always done since then: denied the sin, encouraged repentance, offered mercy and affirmed marriage between one man and one woman.  The world and its ways pass, but the Church remains.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:24:44 PM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 06:25:01 PM »
As a German Catholic, I am embarrassed to hear this from one of our bishops.
If homosexual couples are interested in a blessing by the church, they need to understand that homosexual practices are still considered a sin. It´s not as if the church was a (spiritual) service provider for everyone asking (and maybe paying) for services. I can only speculate about Bishop Bode´s motives, but in any case I do not think it was wise to say what he said.
Sigh. I guess it will become worse, we have not quite hit the bottom...
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline tcolon90

• Faith: The Way
  • Jurisdiction: + Michael - Diocese NY & NJ
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »
If homosexual couples are interested in a blessing by the church, they need to understand that homosexual practices are still considered a sin. It´s not as if the church was a (spiritual) service provider for everyone asking (and maybe paying) for services. I can only speculate about Bishop Bode´s motives, but in any case I do not think it was wise to say what he said.

We have similar problems here dude. Several years ago we had cases of OCA bishops doing unspeakable things to each other. As of now we lack the sort of widespread acceptance of it but for how long I can't say.

The priest ar my church is a Greek Catholic* convert. He said when he left about half the RC clergy in his area were either gay or at least approving of it, which is one reason he left. He said the good clergy couldnt  do anything about it because they would have no priests to serve mass if they decided to excommunicate, and that no good men wanted to be ordained because of the seminaries being flooded with homosexuals. The RC is in a difficult spot.

*Dear tcolon90, some terms to describe Eastern Catholics are not allowed, please see the forum rules.
Dominika, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:14:22 PM by Dominika »
"For where the body is, the eagles will gather."

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 02:58:51 PM »

We have similar problems here dude. Several years ago we had cases of OCA bishops doing unspeakable things to each other. As of now we lack the sort of widespread acceptance of it but for how long I can't say.

The priest ar my church is a Greek Catholic convert. He said when he left about half the RC clergy in his area were either gay or at least approving of it, which is one reason he left. He said the good clergy couldnt  do anything about it because they would have no priests to serve mass if they decided to excommunicate, and that no good men wanted to be ordained because of the seminaries being flooded with homosexuals. The RC is in a difficult spot.

Maybe people who are genuinely concerned about homosexual priests should refuse to take communion from them. Just complaining on the internet isn't going to have much of an effect other than to virtue signal.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:14:38 PM by Dominika »

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
As secular culture becomes more accepting of same-sex unions, the Catholic (and Orthodox) Church is going to have to respond in some way on the scale between blessing such couples or excommunicating them. At the moment the Church seems just to be turning a blind eye to them. But it will become harder and harder for everyone to pretend that no one sees the elephant in the room as it grows bigger and bigger.

+1

Turning a blind eye might be a Finnish phenomenon though. Assumingly EOs are stricter elsewhere. To the other extreme end in Russia for example.

Or in America for that matter, outside of a handful of people in the OCA and perhaps one or two other places, who are not in the mainstream by any means.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »
According to this article the OCA had a mission parish in Long Beach, CA in the 1970's with about a dozen gay members and 70 souls altogether. A new priest was assigned to the parish and, under the bishop's instruction, promptly excommunicated the gay parishioners. The entire parish collapsed soon after. I imagine some will justify the collapse as just the implosion of a congregation that was hopelessly corrupted to begin with.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:24:31 PM by Iconodule »
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
Same sex marriage is nothing new.  Even the emperor Nero married other men twice; once as the groom, once as the bride.  Thus, the Church should continue doing what she's always done since then: denied the sin, encouraged repentance, offered mercy and affirmed marriage between one man and one woman.  The world and its ways pass, but the Church remains.

I think you're thinking of Hadrian.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline tcolon90

• Faith: The Way
  • Jurisdiction: + Michael - Diocese NY & NJ
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 12:49:25 AM »
According to this article the OCA had a mission parish in Long Beach, CA in the 1970's with about a dozen gay members and 70 souls altogether. A new priest was assigned to the parish and, under the bishop's instruction, promptly excommunicated the gay parishioners. The entire parish collapsed soon after. I imagine some will justify the collapse as just the implosion of a congregation that was hopelessly corrupted to begin with.

Seems to me that maybe the nongay parishioners might have rebeled as a response to the excommunications but i could be dead wrong. In ither words your last point is probably correct.
"For where the body is, the eagles will gather."