Author Topic: 19th-Century German Church Is Demolished  (Read 522 times)

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
19th-Century German Church Is Demolished
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:20:44 AM »
"A 19th-century village cathedral in western Germany was razed to the ground on Tuesday to make way for the expansion of coal mega mines..."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/19th-century-german-church-is-demolished-to-make-way-for-coal-mining_us_5a54fce3e4b01e1a4b1a2d89
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
Re: 19th-Century German Church Is Demolished
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »
"A 19th-century village cathedral in western Germany was razed to the ground on Tuesday to make way for the expansion of coal mega mines..."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/19th-century-german-church-is-demolished-to-make-way-for-coal-mining_us_5a54fce3e4b01e1a4b1a2d89
We tear down our churches, yes, as we no longer need them.  :'(
Sad side remark: The only group really protesting against that was Greenpeace, for climate saving reasons.
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Christ is Risen!
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:32:06 AM »
Sigh
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 01:25:48 PM »

Sad side remark: The only group really protesting against that was Greenpeace, for climate saving reasons.
very good reasons I'd asssume
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »
Only Gaia-worshiping pagans and Patriarch Barthomolew are concerned with such things.
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
Shame, I been seeing this more in the news of monasteries, cathedrals, and churches closing down for good. Meanwhile Islam, and secularism grows in Europe. Btw will the coal mine bring about salvation or death to the Germans souls?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:55:06 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 04:36:35 PM »
I'd assume that's because no one was there to protest:

But for the past few years, Immerath has slowly become a ghost town. German energy company RWE has taken over the land, constructing a new version of the village seven miles away. The village hospital was relocated, and its houses torn down and moved. Even Immerath’s cemetery wasn’t immune to the move ― its centuries-old bodies were dug up and relocated with the village.

This is a much sadder story than the destruction of a stone building.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:37:11 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

All hail and agree with AGABUS! the God of this website.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:06:21 PM »
To be fair, it was a pretty stone building.   ;)
I agree, though.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:06:48 PM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 08:23:50 PM »
The population has plummeted from 1537 to 67 people over the last fifty years. German Wikipedia gives no reason for this sudden change, so I imagine the story of the city must be the same as many others.  :-\
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:20:38 PM »
The funniest thing in this sad story is the BURNING "#End Coal" sign by Greenpeace.  And they are complaining about carbon?
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 10:46:58 PM »
The population has plummeted from 1537 to 67 people over the last fifty years. German Wikipedia gives no reason for this sudden change, so I imagine the story of the city must be the same as many others.  :-\
Not really... these articles make it sound even worse than that.
A coal company wanted coal, and it was under this town. So, they built a new town and forced everyone from the old one to move there, or elsewhere. Then they destroyed this one bit by bit.
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline MariaJLM

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 05:47:46 AM »
This legitimately enraged me. However, I can't help but to wonder if it was torn down because the company was just being vulgar word removed by GM or if it was torn down simply because it was old in disuse. If the latter then sad. Faith really is dying in Western Europe. Christian faith at least.

Vulgarisms are not allowed in the public fora. I am giving you 5% warning.
Dominika, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:40:28 AM by Dominika »