OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 09:57:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The EU and the Turkish crime of the century!  (Read 1127 times) Average Rating: 0
eleni

« on: October 05, 2005, 01:34:42 AM »

Hi all,
Maybe someone here has already posted this, sorry if it has already been posted....

http://imia.cc.duth.gr/turkey/index.e.html

Glory be to God
Lord have mercy on us all

helen

A Prudent man foresees evil and hides himself;
The simple pass on and are punished.
-Proverbs27:12-
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 02:08:29 AM »

It looks vaguely familiar.

Turkish oppression of native Christians is no secret.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 02:57:38 AM »

I don't get why the EU is expanding to countries like Turkey.  Former Warsaw pact nations present some economic oportunities and share a similar world view with the core countries of the EU.  But for that matter I don't understand why the EU puts up with leech countries like Greece either... I don't think UK, German, French etc. people are going to continue to be happy with the EU spending money in nations like Greece or Turkey that don't offer much benefit to the EU.
StephenG

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 04:46:27 AM »

The description of Greece as a 'leech' country is one I reject out of hand. I while wanting Europeans, and others, to live in peace and to trade equitably with each other and a Eurosceptic (or worse). Many Europeans holiday and some live wholly or partly in Greece and probably find her membership of the EU and the Eurozone convenient. Greek workers undertake work that Britons, Germans and others find beneath them. This is true of Poles and others.

Turkey is and has been strategically important. It represents a not insignificant and growing market which I suppose might be attractive to those who wish to see the EU as a heavyweight bloc in terms of trade, etc. It is also a controversial and useful 'lever' for German speaking peoples who wanted to see their old ally Croatia granted accession to the EU in spite of other countries concerns over co-operation or a lack of co-operation over handing over war crimes suspects. This appears to be one part of Austria's brinkmanship re: Turkish admission; the other being a fear of admitting such a large Muslim country to the EU.

For some, although nothing new, Turkish behaviour towards it minorities including the Kurds and various Christian communities is a long running and unhappy matter, with Turkey clearly in denial over the genocide of the Armenians in 1915.
Efendi

Faith: Islam
Jurisdiction: Islam

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 03:38:12 PM »

For some, although nothing new, Turkish behaviour towards it minorities including the Kurds and various Christian communities is a long running and unhappy matter, with Turkey clearly in denial over the genocide of the Armenians in 1915.

Do you think on this matter targeting people of Turkish ethnicity respectfull behaviour?

Efendi

Faith: Islam
Jurisdiction: Islam

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »

http://web.archive.org/web/20021130193317/http://imia.cc.duth.gr/

It is not a criticization of Turkey. Target is Turkish people as they are adressed.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: