OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 12:15:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David and Dancing, Church Fathers  (Read 941 times) Average Rating: 0
AncientFaith

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: October 04, 2005, 12:46:24 PM »

I quick hello to everyone here. 

The other day I heard a reference to David dancing before the Lord (as the Ark was being returned) as essentially a defense for dancing in the sanctuary - i.e. "liturgical dance". 

Can anyone point me to any of the Church Fathers who may have addressed that passage from 2 Samuel?  I have found where St. Chrysostom was opposed to dancing within Church, but I don't think he specifically addressed this one passage.

Looking for some help and ammo.

I should add that I was reading an article a while back that pointed out that Churches (this was specific to the Anglican Church, but applied to any "liturgical" Church) have liturgical dance already - its the movements of the clergy and acolytes.

---
Patrick
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 05:14:54 AM »

Jeff,

Hey, sorry it took so long for a response. I know this probably won't be of any help, and comes too late anyway. I was hoping that someone who knew about the subject would be able to post here, but I guess it's a very unique subject. I certainly do thank you for bringing up something that hasn't been discussed here before. I only wish one of us knew something about the subject! Smiley  Fwiw, I did a quick search of the Church Fathers series at CCEL and on the specific passage from 2 Sam. 6, I only found two references, neither of which really seemed to be relevant. The references were in St. Gregory the Theologian (Oration 38, 17) and St. Gregory of Nyssa (Funeral Oration on Meletios). The subject of "dance" in general is, unfortunately, a much larger project than I am ready to take on (St. John liked to speak against dancers and actors, so it'd be pretty time-consuming sorting through all the references). I hope you had better luck elswhere (if you did, please feel free to share what you learned).
AncientFaith

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 12:33:17 AM »

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten anywhere with this.  On the other hand, its kept me from being put in the position of debating with my priest, which is, all in all, a bad thing.  Our parish occasionally picks up some charismatic influences around the edges, and it always drives me nuts. In a couple of weeks, we'll have a priest in to lead a retreat who I've read and listened to before, and is a pro-choice, pro-women's ordination, pseudo-traditionalist (that is a Sola Scripturalist pretending to be a Hooker Anglican).

I hope you had better luck elswhere (if you did, please feel free to share what you learned).

---
Patrick
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: