Author Topic: Any Antiochian here Christians here?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Re: Any Antiochian here Christians here?
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2018, 12:56:01 AM »
Al Masihi has been inquiring in another forum I frequent and no one has questioned his sincerity. His inquiries have all been valid regarding questions on the Alpha & Omega in Revelation, intercessory prayer to the Theotokos, the Lenten fast etc.

To answer his original post: I am Antiochian Orthodox,American, a convert since 2005, have paternal Syrian Orthodox ancestry (my father was cradle Orthodox) and know little of Middle Eastern culture.

Lastly, there is a blog on Arab Orthodoxy; see: http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/ 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:01:53 AM by recent convert »
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Al Masihi

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »
Al Masihi has been inquiring in another forum I frequent and no one has questioned his sincerity. His inquiries have all been valid regarding questions on the Alpha & Omega in Revelation, intercessory prayer to the Theotokos, the Lenten fast etc.

To answer his original post: I am Antiochian Orthodox,American, a convert since 2005, have paternal Syrian Orthodox ancestry (my father was cradle Orthodox) and know little of Middle Eastern culture.

Lastly, there is a blog on Arab Orthodoxy; see: http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/ 
Thank you for your answer.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:56:17 AM by Al Masihi »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2018, 02:01:13 AM »
I already heard people from lebanese origin saying that they are arabized as well, not fully arab, more like levantine or something like that.
Many Lebanese claim they're Fenicians or Arameans. It can be true, as Arabs have reached Syria, but not Lebanon, until the Islam Conquest.
Actually, we did reach Lebanon, long before Islam.
Is it true that orthodox in arab countries are more integrated to general arab society than maronites that keep themselves as a separate group?
Orthodox Syriacs keep themselves rather as a separate group, too. As for EOs (believers of the Antiochian and Jerusalem patriarchates), they're rather more integrated to general Arab society, since many of them are just Arabs (true, some of them are arabised Arameans). EOs and Greek Catholics had an important role in An-Nahda (renaissance of Arab culture and literature) and beginning of pan-arabism.
Sati' al-Husri (a Muslim), an important official in education in many Arab countries stated that the return of the patriarchate of Antioch to the Antiochians was the first victory of Arab nationalism.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:01:37 AM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2018, 02:02:34 AM »
I'm Antiochian, but at this point in my life  my Arabic is very limited.   I'm not a convert.

So your middle eastern? I guess I'm one of the few people here from the Middle East. But you should be thankful you don't live where I live.

I guess I'm first generation born in U.S. (my mom came here very young).   I still have a lot of family/ extended relations/ friends mostly in Syria (which is my main "dna" and the main of my families origins),  but some in Palestine,  Lebanon,  Iraq,  and Armenia.   As far as how people feel about where they live,  that's a complex answer and I can give you limit cases involving Syria,  Lebanon,  USA, etc  and the attitudes of the people living in those countries.  The immigration to the USA has roots (which is a common story) in my great grandfathers generation in the early decades of the 1900's, and over time the vast majority of my family that settled in America did so in Ohio and Michigan (which again is a very common story).  I currently live in Chicago,  and I refuse to eat Arabic food here,  as it's one of the few cuisines my home region does much better on.  I can't find good Syrian bread to save my life

A conversation about who lives where and why and how they feel about it is a conversation I would find interesting, but may be best reserved for a talk via PM.  My general answer and disposition to life though is to be thankful for where I live,  so there is that. I'm naturally a bit stubborn.
You're in Chicago? Where at?

Ukrainian Village
We used to go to Holy Trinity (All Saints Antiochian now)
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Al Masihi

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2018, 01:24:02 PM »
I myself am an anti Arabist my ideas are more closely linked to the Maronite Church regarding politics and indentity despite my antiochian faith.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 01:16:11 AM »
I'm especially wary because there is a cottage industry of fake ex-Muslims...
Interesting.  I read "Jesus, Jihad and Peace", by Michael Youssef, a convert to Evangelicalism, and thought that it was straight out of the neo conservative talking points, with very, very few interesting points about the plight of the Christians in the Middle East and a great disregard for the Eastern Christians.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »
I myself am an anti Arabist my ideas are more closely linked to the Maronite Church regarding politics and indentity despite my antiochian faith.

But your forum name is in Arabic ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Al Masihi

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2018, 06:53:24 PM »
Actually words like Masihi were of Syriac origin most Arabic words were taken fro, Sheiac and Persian infact.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »
Actually words like Masihi were of Syriac origin most Arabic words were taken fro,
Many roots are shared by all Semitic languages. It also applies to m-s-ḥ. But you've chosen the forum name written in Arabic form ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Al Masihi

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2018, 05:01:49 PM »
Meh, the language of the Middle East today is Arabic.