Author Topic: Can you help me pick a baptismal name?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline maneki_neko

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolitanate of Singapore and SEA
Can you help me pick a baptismal name?
« on: December 19, 2017, 01:53:02 AM »
We are hoping to have our daughter baptised soon (probably within the next month). I need some help choosing a name for her. None of her birth names are the names of saints. Also, neither of us really have any traditional Orthodox ethnic heritage to draw upon to look at that way (unless someone can point us to pre-schism Spanish, French, or Scottish saints?) Her given name is a blessing for a long and happy life. I'm considering something after St. John to that effect, but what forms of that name are recognized as female in Orthodoxy? What are other ideas?
主哀れめよ!

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Can you help me pick a baptismal name?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 04:07:15 AM »
As far as I know, Jane is a form of John.  :)
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 05:37:52 AM »
Much of the Western names has some Orthodox equivalent. In case you feel comfortable sharing the given name we could perhaps help you pinpoint it.

Either that or you could just check the Church calendar on your daughter's birthday or the baptismal date.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:41:32 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:58:20 AM »
What’s your daughter’s birth name?
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »
John is a name with a lot of feminine flexibility including names sounding as diverse as Hanna, Jane, Ivana, Ivanka, Jeanette, Johanna, and Sinead

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 12:42:48 PM »
John is a name with a lot of feminine flexibility including names sounding as diverse as Hanna, Jane, Ivana, Ivanka, Jeanette, Johanna, and Sinead

Jeanne, Jeanette, Joan, Shawna.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »

Yeah, like most common Biblical names it's pretty massive and diverse.    Off the top of my head,  I'm not sure there is an Arabic feminine version.   Jeanette is used,  but that is more due to later French influence
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:33:54 PM by William T »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »

Yeah, like most common Biblical names it's pretty massive and diverse.    Off the top of my head,  I'm not sure there is an Arabic feminine version.   Jeanette is used,  but that is more due to later French influence

Apparently it's 'Jawanana' (جوانا)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »

Cool beans,  never heard it.   I'm used to hearing  the name Jeanette.  What's the Greek,  and is it common?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »

Cool beans,  never heard it.   I'm used to hearing  the name Jeanette.  What's the Greek,  and is it common?

Ιωάννα, and although not quite as dime-a-dozen as the male counterpart, it's still extremely common.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline maneki_neko

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 01:21:55 AM »
Much of the Western names has some Orthodox equivalent. In case you feel comfortable sharing the given name we could perhaps help you pinpoint it.

Either that or you could just check the Church calendar on your daughter's birthday or the baptismal date.

Thanks, I can't give out her name publicly; it's not an English or western name and probably too distinct. Starts with the letter 'K' though if that helps.
主哀れめよ!

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
Well I think half of my country ladies are called MAry. And when you choose name have ready the prayer to the Saint and to God to follow her across her life and protect and lead her to salvation and for your daughter to be saved and to lead your daughter to good things.
And of course ask God and her protector Saint for a great marriage for your daughter when the time will came out , great family life when time will be up and salvation with entire relatives and great career with entire relatives and for your daughter and all her erelatives to be happy across her entire life . Its not tooo early to pray for future as God and Saints do not forget.And the prayers keep adding and adding to great results. And you and your daughter will be happy. Some mothers pray for salvation of their children even before they are born.

The name she get at baptism will be her real name, the other names will have no relevance. Also it is recommended one name in my country. I have no clue why.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:38:15 PM by pasadi97 »
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GO Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 04:09:55 PM »
Check the daily Menaion (many online versions available) for her birth date or Baptismal date....there may be a suitabley named  Saint Commemorated that day.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:10:52 PM by JTLoganville »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 06:35:03 PM »
Thanks, I can't give out her name publicly; it's not an English or western name and probably too distinct. Starts with the letter 'K' though if that helps.
Maybe there can be a meaning equivalent, however, so if there's a known meaning for her name, you could give it and we might look for a saint with a similar meaning, we'd never guess the actual name. A friend of mine officially called Domingos seriously considered picking up St. Cyriacus as his baptismal name. Both mean "of the Lord", but the first in Portuguese through Latin, the latter in Greek (for some reason a popular name among Kerala Christians in its forms Kuriakose and Kurien). I think he's now into St. Nicholas II, but he's still a catechumen.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:36:23 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Ουρουγουανός
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 08:05:56 PM »
Maybe there can be a meaning equivalent, however, so if there's a known meaning for her name, you could give it and we might look for a saint with a similar meaning, we'd never guess the actual name. A friend of mine officially called Domingos seriously considered picking up St. Cyriacus as his baptismal name. Both mean "of the Lord", but the first in Portuguese through Latin, the latter in Greek (for some reason a popular name among Kerala Christians in its forms Kuriakose and Kurien). I think he's now into St. Nicholas II, but he's still a catechumen.

Surely there's an Orthodox St. Dominikos somewhere who would be more fitting.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 08:10:44 PM »

St. Joanna the Myrrhbearer comes to mind.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline maneki_neko

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 09:33:27 PM »
Maybe there can be a meaning equivalent, however, so if there's a known meaning for her name, you could give it and we might look for a saint with a similar meaning, we'd never guess the actual name.

Her name is a blessing for a long and happy life.
主哀れめよ!

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 09:54:49 PM »
Whats important is that she is being baptized.  She is blessed to have parents like you.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 10:53:26 PM »
Maybe there can be a meaning equivalent, however, so if there's a known meaning for her name, you could give it and we might look for a saint with a similar meaning, we'd never guess the actual name.

Her name is a blessing for a long and happy life.
Oh, that's specific. :P I can think of St. Felicity (happiness).
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline maneki_neko

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 11:55:56 PM »

Lol! But that's the literal translation of her name in English; "A blessing for a long and happy life".
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:56:13 PM by maneki_neko »
主哀れめよ!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 01:36:37 AM »

Lol! But that's the literal translation of her name in English; "A blessing for a long and happy life".

Well then why not ZoidbergSt. Felicitas?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.