OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NZ food bill to make growing food a government privilege not a human right  (Read 600 times) Average Rating: 0
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« on: January 08, 2012, 03:17:28 AM »

(NaturalNews) The God-given human right to freely cultivate food is under attack in New Zealand (NZ) as special interest groups and others are currently attempting to push a "food security" bill through the nation's parliament that will strip individuals of their right to grow food, save seeds, and even share the fruits of their labor with friends and family members.

In accordance with the World Trade Organization's (WTO) Codex Alimentarius scheme for global food control, the NZ Food Bill, if passed, will essentially transfer primary control of food from individuals to corporations under the guise of food safety. And unless massive public outcry and awakened consciences within the NZ government are able to put a stop to it, the bill could become law very soon.

According to NZ Food Security, a group working to protect the food freedom of New Zealanders, the bill will turn growing and sharing food into a government-granted privilege rather than a human right. It will also make it illegal to distribute any type of food based on the bill's language. This includes seeds, nutrients, natural medicines, minerals, and even water -- without expressed government permission.

http://www.naturalnews.com/034337_New_Zealand_food_freedom_human_rights.html

I can just picture the "Illegal Vegetable" squad, breaking down doors in the middle of the night to search for home grown carrots and onions.

Has the world gone mad? Rhetorical question!!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:47:16 AM »

This can't be real.

You mean if a person has a fruit tree in their yard, they can't pick the fruit off of it and eat it?

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 03:52:49 AM »

Is not this the same codex that certain Senators are trying to pass in the USA?

Sounds like totalitarianism.

If this draconian measure becomes law, could they not deny Monasteries the right to grow wine for the altar?

Think about it.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:54:43 AM »

This can't be real.

You mean if a person has a fruit tree in their yard, they can't pick the fruit off of it and eat it?

Yes, and it sounds very greedy to me. The very principle of private ownership of land would be violated.
What a way to sneak communism on every nation.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »

Wow.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »

This can't be real.

Apparently, it's real enough, Salpy. We had relatives from New Zealand visiting and they were preaching civil disobedience! Rebellious activity involving home grown veges. laugh My daughter and I have had fun creating scenarios about the "Illegal Vegetable Squad" descending on these pensioners, I can tell you! I have cried laughing, but this is really due to insane greed on the part of the Tax Department, if I understand it correctly. Them not being able to monitor the earnings of local markets and stalls and any bartering that might go on with vegetables as the currency. Makes my head explode! Can you imagine policing such a policy?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »

How sad that it has come to this.  This reminds me of some of the issues mentioned in the film Food Inc.

I'm happy that I still live in a part of the world where people still grow much of their own food.  A good chunk of our vegetables come from our in-law's garden or sellers that I personally know.  When my landlady comes to collect rent she always brings something from her dacha for us.  Definitely far more tasty then supermarket produce. 

But these sorts of laws have been in play for a long time when it comes to alcohol.  I'd much rather have made homemade drinks since I know exactly what is in them.  I can make vodka with just sugar, wheat and yeast; wine with just grapes and sugar, etc.  But this is illegal in many places.  Sigh. 

Right now I just started two batches of kvass - I wonder if that is illegal per the food police since my kvass has about 2-3% alcohol and is homemade.       
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: