Author Topic: The Eastern Orthodox Church and Bosnian Geneocide.  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Ray1

• Elder
The Eastern Orthodox Church and Bosnian Geneocide.
« on: December 11, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
I expect some angry comments and ones that are full ad hominem, but all that will do nothing to answer the question and they will be ignored.

Recently the Bosnian Genocide came on the news again, and I won't go into details, what happened then and there is well known to the world. And I'm interested in knowing the following....

While many Muslim men, women, and children were raped and killed, what did the Eastern Orthodox Church do to stop the genocide? Did they oppose the killing? Did they speak up against the war criminals? If they didn't, why?

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: The Eastern Orthodox Church and Bosnian Geneocide.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 03:41:10 PM »
I expect some angry comments and ones that are full ad hominem, but all that will do nothing to answer the question and they will be ignored.

You have a strange way of ignoring.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »
I'm afraid this topic will go to the Politics (and in one thread I said some things about it from perspective of my Serbian Orthodox family living in Bosnia; Western media have concealed tragedy of dozens, or even hundres Serbian Orthodox villages - since it didn't happen in one place like in Srebrenica with Muslims, only villagers remember the victims), but without violating the forum rules I can say about patriarch Pavle. He was Serbian Orthodox patriarch at that time and his basic teaching/call was: "Let be people".

He also said: if a Great Serbia should be held by committing crime, I would never accept it; may Great Serbia disappear, but to hold it by crime - no. If it were necessary to hold only a small Serbia by crime, I would not accept it. May small Serbia disappear, but to hold it by crime - no. And if there is only one Serb, and if I am that last Serb, to hold on by crime - I do not accept. May we disappear, but disappear as humans, because then we will not disappear, we will be alive in the hands of the living God.

I also recall one of the Serbian Orthodox bishops in Bosnia, later accused of homosexual stuff - I don't know if he was guilty of it or not, but I heard him personally saying: "if somebody calls him to be <Svetosavac> [follower of st. Sava, the greatest Serbian Orthodox saint], it's something to be esteemed. But if this person misuses this term, he falls into fanatism, and it's something to be condemned".
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 11:17:22 PM »
Dominika couldn't have said it better. War is war. Blame the Serbian Patriarchate, blame Catholicism, blame Islam, blame nationalism... What made the Balkan Wars what they were was human nature. Doesn't surprise me much, man is usually conditioned to be good in times of peace, and in the end we all aim to goodness, but the monstrosity and carelessness inside us is what makes tragedies.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Ray1

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »
Thanks to both of you, Dominika and Rapha.

I think there is somewhat of a higher standard for those who call themselves Christians to behave in certain ways. As Timothy Keller once said, that expectation from non-Christians, including Atheists regarding how Christians should act, is in itself an admission that Christianity demands a better way of living from its followers. That is why when we hear of a Christian supporting racism or violence, for example, we point to the apparent contradiction between what the person is doing and that their religion demands.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 10:06:40 PM »

I think there is somewhat of a higher standard for those who call themselves Christians to behave in certain ways. As Timothy Keller once said, that expectation from non-Christians, including Atheists regarding how Christians should act, is in itself an admission that Christianity demands a better way of living from its followers. That is why when we hear of a Christian supporting racism or violence, for example, we point to the apparent contradiction between what the person is doing and that their religion demands.

Stalin was an atheist.

What did you demand of him?
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Ray1

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 10:47:22 PM »

Stalin was an atheist.

What I wrote is actually a compliment to Christianity.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 10:57:05 PM »

Stalin was an atheist.

Not at all.

Answer the question.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Ray1

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 11:10:50 PM »

Stalin was an atheist.

Not at all.

Answer the question.

That's how I meant it. And unless you say please I won't answer the question.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:11:08 PM by Ray1 »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 12:19:07 AM »
Okay, so you've decided to be ridiculous. Play games with someone else. Done talking to you.

Offline Ray1

• Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »
Okay, so you've decided to be ridiculous. Play games with someone else. Done talking to you.

No, you're the one who thinks he can tell me what I meant by what I wrote and then demands an answer. If asking for some manners means I'm playing games, so be it. Bye Bye

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »
And unless you say please I won't answer the question.

I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Ray1

• Elder
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 03:23:41 PM »
And unless you say please I won't answer the question.

Well, thank you for the compliment.  ;)