Author Topic: Living Saints  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Kostas4444

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: UK
Living Saints
« on: December 08, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
Hi All

After reading the lives of great modern day saints such as Saint Paisios and Saint Porphyrios and how well known they had become not only after their repose and canonization but whilst they lived here on earth I started to wander, do we have any living saints of the same mould of Saint Paisios and Saint Porphyrios, living saints that possessed the same gifts these saints possessed such as clairvoyance, foresight etc. For example you read and hear many many stories of Saint Paisios upon his first meeting with someone will know their name and what they have come to speak to him about before they even utter a word.

Do we know of any such living saints in the world today?

I know that a lot people will say "Yes but they hide themselves" and I understand and appreciate that but even Saint Paisios and Saint Porphyrios tried to hide their gifts but they still become well known during their life to possess such gifts.

Thank you for any responses in advance.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
Re: Living Saints
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »
Methinks that there are many more saints among us, but God wishes that only a few of them reach notoriety.  Perhaps for both our and their own good.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »
Methinks that there are many more saints among us, but God wishes that only a few of them reach notoriety.  Perhaps for both our and their own good.

I understand what you are saying. Do we know of any that are known to us?

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 02:05:27 AM »
I think that I personally know one person who is a living saint and perhaps all the many whose life he's touched will one day tell the whole world about his many godly deeds.  Or perhaps not.  Regardless, God is the judge of his deeds.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 06:59:49 AM »
I think that I personally know one person who is a living saint and perhaps all the many whose life he's touched will one day tell the whole world about his many godly deeds.  Or perhaps not.  Regardless, God is the judge of his deeds.

Can i ask, what makes you believe he is a saint? Can i ask who this person is and where he is residing? Thank you

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 07:39:10 AM »
Are you in UK? Have you never been in the Monastery of St. John the Baptist in Essex? Although the norm in this monastery is, that the monastics hide their supernatural gifts and spiritual feelings; nevertheless you can feel the holiness of some monks/nuns. Or to put it in the words of a famous greek theologian - Nikolaos Loudovikos- , who I once met there: "There's a whole system of grace here".
Wisdom from Elder Seraphim - All our troubles come from...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6eL2pwtVKs

The Goal of an Orthodox Monk: 'Incarnation of Love':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZishdSrYWM

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
Are you in UK? Have you never been in the Monastery of St. John the Baptist in Essex? Although the norm in this monastery is, that the monastics hide their supernatural gifts and spiritual feelings; nevertheless you can feel the holiness of some monks/nuns. Or to put it in the words of a famous greek theologian - Nikolaos Loudovikos- , who I once met there: "There's a whole system of grace here".

Hi Nathanael

Thank you for your reply.

My spiritual father is from the monastery, i was there last Saturday! However, I have yet to meet anyone or been told about anyone in this monastery or any other monastery that possesses the gifts described in the examples of Saint Paisios or Saint Porphyrios.

Have you come across any?

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:10:42 AM »
Can i ask, what makes you believe he is a saint? Can i ask who this person is and where he is residing? Thank you
No.  No.  In my home town.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:36:43 AM »
I'd mention Dobri Dobrev, Elder Ephraim of Arizona, Metropolitan Amphilochius of Montenegro and Fr. Lazarus el-Anthony.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 04:59:09 AM »
I'd mention Dobri Dobrev
Yes! I've met him in person!

Elder Ephraim of Arizona, nd Fr. Lazarus el-Anthony.
+1

Metropolitan Amphilochius of Montenegro
Not sure.

I suppose there are many local, evene cery local "living saints", e.g I met in Cyprus amazing father, with a gift of seeing your hear, soul, problems. Nad it was a small village in the mountains, my mother and I met him due to our Cypriot friends.
So, I woudn't look for any sensations there.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »
A friend of mine just returned from a pilgrimage to Athos and met an elder who lives with...snakes and the critters obey him like pets. There's this big black snake, that curles around his arm and shoulder, and when the elder orders it to kiss the pilgrim's hand when there are pilgrims visiting him, the snake touches with its tongue the pilgrim's hand! Or when a child visits the elder with his father, and the boy is scared of it, the elder puts it gently on the floor and orders it to leave and hide because the boy's afraid of it, and the snake obeys! A true pre-fallen state of living!
Ἦχος Πρῶτος

Τέχνη μελουργός, σούς ἀγασθεῖσα κρότους
Πρώτην νέμει σοὶ τάξιν, ὦ τῆς ἀξίας
Ἦχος ὁ πρῶτος μουσική κληθείς τέχνη
Πρῶτος παρ'ἡμῶν εὐλογείσθω τοῖς λόγοις.
Τὰ πρῶτα πρῶτε τῶν καλῶν λαχῶν φέρεις
Πρωτεῖα νίκης πανταχοῦ πάντων ἔχεις.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
I'd mention Dobri Dobrev
Amazing!

Not sure.
He's not often mentioned as a living saint, but the impression of some acquaintances who met him in a pastoral visit made a real impression on me itself.

I suppose there are many local, evene cery local "living saints", e.g I met in Cyprus amazing father, with a gift of seeing your hear, soul, problems. Nad it was a small village in the mountains, my mother and I met him due to our Cypriot friends.
One lady from my parish was mother to one archpriest and the wife of a mithred archpriest, even though converting at an old age lived the whole rest of her life for the Church, being a very sweet woman, showing love to everyone. She had St. Mary of Egypt as her patron. On the Sunday of St. Mary of Egypt, she fell ill. On the actual day of St. Mary of Egypt, which fell precisely on Holy Friday, she reposed. I don't think anyone would champion the canonisation of a seemlingly average lady from Rio, but she's a true saint on my map.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 05:19:03 AM »
No.  No.  In my home town.

:) no problem, god bless you. Thank you for your time

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 05:22:42 AM »
I'd mention Dobri Dobrev, Elder Ephraim of Arizona, Metropolitan Amphilochius of Montenegro and Fr. Lazarus el-Anthony.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 05:33:32 AM »
I'd mention Dobri Dobrev

Elder Ephraim of Arizona, nd Fr. Lazarus el-Anthony.
+1

Not sure.

Can i ask if you know the name of the father in Cyprus and where he is?

Thank you for your response

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 05:34:54 AM »
A friend of mine just returned from a pilgrimage to Athos and met an elder who lives with...snakes and the critters obey him like pets. There's this big black snake, that curles around his arm and shoulder, and when the elder orders it to kiss the pilgrim's hand when there are pilgrims visiting him, the snake touches with its tongue the pilgrim's hand! Or when a child visits the elder with his father, and the boy is scared of it, the elder puts it gently on the floor and orders it to leave and hide because the boy's afraid of it, and the snake obeys! A true pre-fallen state of living!

Can i ask, do you know the name of this elder on mount athos?

thank you

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 08:48:17 AM »

Hi Nathanael

My spiritual father is from the monastery, i was there last Saturday! However, I have yet to meet anyone or been told about anyone in this monastery or any other monastery that possesses the gifts described in the examples of Saint Paisios or Saint Porphyrios.

So you have not meet anyone in the monastery who is full of love? Love is the greatest gift! Higher than clairvoyance. The spiritual fathers in the monastery have a high level of discernment - and that's what we need for spiritual guidance. I don't look for a monastic who can read my thoughts or who can see my life, but one who can give me the right words and the right guidance.

It was the will of God that Saint Paisios and Saint Porphyrios often used their gifts openly. In the case of Saint Porphyrios I read that when he worked in the hospital almost nobody knew about his gifts, so for 30 years he hide his gifts very effectively...

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
My spiritual father is from the monastery, i was there last Saturday!

Funny! My friends had been also there. Have you met or talked with Klaus, Martin or Stephan last Saturday?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:51:05 AM by Nathanael »

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 11:06:53 AM »

Hi Nathanael

So you have not meet anyone in the monastery who is full of love? Love is the greatest gift! Higher than clairvoyance. The spiritual fathers in the monastery have a high level of discernment - and that's what we need for spiritual guidance. I don't look for a monastic who can read my thoughts or who can see my life, but one who can give me the right words and the right guidance.

It was the will of God that Saint Paisios and Saint Porphyrios often used their gifts openly. In the case of Saint Porphyrios I read that when he worked in the hospital almost nobody knew about his gifts, so for 30 years he hide his gifts very effectively...

Hi Nathanael,

Apologies, maybe i did not explain myself correctly. I absolutely have met monks, nuns and laypeople there who have love in abundance, my spiritual father being one of them! However that was not the topic of my question, i have no doubt that love is most important but finding loving elders is something i will and can find anywhere. However if I come across a loving elder who does have such gifts of grace then of course i would be interested in finding out who they are and where.

I believe I may of spoken with a gentlemen who I think he said was from Switzerland, i was speaking to him about the great book of Saint Paisios, he was there with his mom I believe aswell. 

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 11:10:15 AM »
My spiritual father is from the monastery, i was there last Saturday!

Funny! My friends had been also there. Have you met or talked with Klaus, Martin or Stephan last Saturday?

Also, my spiritual father's words have guiding my life in a truly amazing way thus far and if somebody were to say to me, you can meet a holy elder with gifts of "clairvoyance" as it is put who continue to receive guidance from your spiritual father then I would choose the latter without question.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »
Are you going on a Geronda Tour or something? 

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 12:15:24 PM »

If Saint Paisios was alive today, would you make the effort to go and see him? :)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 01:23:44 PM »

If Saint Paisios was alive today, would you make the effort to go and see him? :)

Probably not, to be honest. 

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 02:27:22 PM »
What a great thread.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »

Hi Nathanael

Hi Nathanael,

Apologies, maybe i did not explain myself correctly. I absolutely have met monks, nuns and laypeople there who have love in abundance, my spiritual father being one of them! However that was not the topic of my question, i have no doubt that love is most important but finding loving elders is something i will and can find anywhere. However if I come across a loving elder who does have such gifts of grace then of course i would be interested in finding out who they are and where.

I believe I may of spoken with a gentlemen who I think he said was from Switzerland, i was speaking to him about the great book of Saint Paisios, he was there with his mom I believe aswell.
Yes, from Switzerland. I guess who it might be. :)

Of course loving elders one can more or less anywhere. But I didn't explain myself correctly in this case as well. I speak about the gift of love - an elder who can inflate your heart with so much grace and love so that you heart begins to burn and by which many wounds in your soul are healed. Then you come into a heavenly state of grace¨¨
I Germany I met once such an elder...for example. In Essex I also get such a love, but it was difficult to distinguish from which person(monk,nun) it came from...

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 04:10:25 PM »

Hi Nathanael

Hi Nathanael,

Yes, from Switzerland. I guess who it might be. :)

Of course loving elders one can more or less anywhere. But I didn't explain myself correctly in this case as well. I speak about the gift of love - an elder who can inflate your heart with so much grace and love so that you heart begins to burn and by which many wounds in your soul are healed. Then you come into a heavenly state of grace¨¨
I Germany I met once such an elder...for example. In Essex I also get such a love, but it was difficult to distinguish from which person(monk,nun) it came from...
Yes the guy I met at the monastery was a very nice guy and we had a good chat.

I understand exactly what you are saying, I do feel privileged to have a spiritual father who does ignite this flame within me. :)

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 09:30:52 PM »

thank you
I do, he's elder Efthymios of Kavsokalyvia.
Ἦχος Πρῶτος

Τέχνη μελουργός, σούς ἀγασθεῖσα κρότους
Πρώτην νέμει σοὶ τάξιν, ὦ τῆς ἀξίας
Ἦχος ὁ πρῶτος μουσική κληθείς τέχνη
Πρῶτος παρ'ἡμῶν εὐλογείσθω τοῖς λόγοις.
Τὰ πρῶτα πρῶτε τῶν καλῶν λαχῶν φέρεις
Πρωτεῖα νίκης πανταχοῦ πάντων ἔχεις.

Offline Kostas4444

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 05:40:08 AM »

Amazing thing is, I met him in September in Mount Athos. Thank you for sharing that with me

thank you
I do, he's elder Efthymios of Kavsokalyvia.

Probably not, to be honest.