Author Topic: Icon kissing...  (Read 307 times)

Offline LivenotoneviL

• An Indecisive Sinner
  • High Elder
  • 404 - Quote not found
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Not a Catechumen
Icon kissing...
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:48:20 PM »
To what rule has the Western Rite Liturgies - either in ROCOR or Antioch - integrated icon-kissing or candle lighting? Is this a practice that occurs or not?
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Keep shining, star!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Icon kissing...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:01:05 AM »
A very good question.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Prufrock

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »
To what rule has the Western Rite Liturgies - either in ROCOR or Antioch - integrated icon-kissing or candle lighting? Is this a practice that occurs or not?

I can only speak about ROCOR Western Rite but, in my experience, icon veneration (self-crossing, prostration, icon kissing,  candle lighting etc) is done in the same way as it is in the rest of the Church. No difference at all.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 08:49:51 AM »

Since both these things happen in Roman Catholic churches, I suppose it's more likely to take place in WRO parishes...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline LivenotoneviL

• An Indecisive Sinner
  • High Elder
  • 404 - Quote not found
  • Jurisdiction: Not a Catechumen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »

Since both these things happen in Roman Catholic churches, I suppose it's more likely to take place in WRO parishes...

I can only speak from experience in America, but these types of veneration never happened in my experience as a Roman Catholic - at least liturgically, even in the Tridentine Mass. I mean, people might kiss the Bible or kiss their Rosary, but in America, there are no locations set aside to venerate icons or statues; and if you were to go up to a statue and kiss its feet, people would look at you like you are out of your mind or perhaps "holier than thou art," as this doesn't happen common place.

I've seen times where a bishop or the Pope might kiss an icon or statue, or a priest, but certainly to me these things are more extraordinary than something that happens every Mass, and they usually happen when it's in the form of a gift or a speech rather than personal prayer.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:32:22 PM by LivenotoneviL »
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Keep shining, star!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »
Well, that's true that in most occassions in most RC places kissing an icon would be quite surprising (they have icons more for adorations - the same manner as it goes for the Most Blessed Sacrament), they tend more to kiss cross (not only on Good Friday). But as for lighting candles, I think it's getting more and more popular...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 02:05:08 AM »
Well, that's true that in most occassions in most RC places kissing an icon would be quite surprising (they have icons more for adorations - the same manner as it goes for the Most Blessed Sacrament), they tend more to kiss cross (not only on Good Friday). But as for lighting candles, I think it's getting more and more popular...

Is adoration when you just sit there?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 07:27:28 AM »

Is adoration when you just sit there?
Just sit, or, more often, kneel.