Author Topic: Why isn't iconography big in Armenian churches?  (Read 500 times)

Offline Nicholas_83

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Why isn't iconography big in Armenian churches?
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:10:26 AM »
I used to attend an Armenian parish. There was a beautiful (realistic rather than icon style) painting of the Theotokos and baby Jesus behind the altar but nothing else... From what I got to understand this is normal for Armenians. Why isn't iconography or imagery (I am familiar w khachkars... There is one outside that church) in general a big thing w Armenians?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Why isn't iconography big in Armenian churches?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »
They have icons/iconographis motives in liturgical books, Bible.. But as for churches, not so much. Maybe iconoclams hasn't reached Armenia (most part of it), so there wasn't need to  proove that icons are something canonical and Orthodox?...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
The bema of most Armenian churches is decorated with icons.  It serves an iconostasis-like function (compare the single row of icons above the altar in some ancient churches in Coptic Cairo).
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline ZackShenouda439

• Elder
    • http://www.saintmarkkc.org
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 07:20:15 AM »
I've seen interior pics of St.Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral & saw some icons in there

like this one

https://st2.depositphotos.com/1226172/11546/i/950/depositphotos_115463652-stock-photo-yerevan-armenia-march-30-2016.jpg

Offline Nicholas_83

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »
I've seen interior pics of St.Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral & saw some icons in there

like this one

https://st2.depositphotos.com/1226172/11546/i/950/depositphotos_115463652-stock-photo-yerevan-armenia-march-30-2016.jpg
You are indeed correct. A painting of Mary and infant Jesus at the altar does serm to be mandatory

Offline Nicodemusz138

• Faith: Seeking God
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the Kingdom of God, Eternity
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »
Yeah, I cannot find much by googling "Armenian Icons" and stuff, mostly shows up paintings for artistic purposes.
What are the infallible sources in the Eastern Orthodox Church?

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »
They have icons/iconographis motives in liturgical books, Bible.. But as for churches, not so much. Maybe iconoclams hasn't reached Armenia (most part of it), so there wasn't need to  proove that icons are something canonical and Orthodox?...

Right, the icon saturation we see in EO churches is, in my understanding, an “In your face, heretics!” reaction to iconoclasm that apparently never got old.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 09:56:26 PM »
1st to second century synagogues had art, but in that time, Christianity was not a permitted religion, which makes having paintings and ikons difficult to inscribe and keep in their house churches. Besides that, paintings in those early days were not as elaborate and common among the general populus as they were many centuries later. And also I expect there was still some diminishment of religious use of even pictures in the earliest Christianity because of its roots in Judaism, which in turn was influenced by the Torah prohibition on engraved images.

The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 11:53:12 PM »
1st to second century synagogues had art, but in that time, Christianity was not a permitted religion, which makes having paintings and ikons difficult to inscribe and keep in their house churches. Besides that, paintings in those early days were not as elaborate and common among the general populus as they were many centuries later. And also I expect there was still some diminishment of religious use of even pictures in the earliest Christianity because of its roots in Judaism, which in turn was influenced by the Torah prohibition on engraved images.

Wait, the Jewish synagogues had icons, but the Christian churches didn't because they were being influenced not to by the Jewish synagogues?

And we do have at least one well-preserved church from that period with religious frescoes in it. In fact, it's down the street from the synagogue you seem to be alluding to.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Nicodemusz138

• Faith: Seeking God
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the Kingdom of God, Eternity
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »

Wait, the Jewish synagogues had icons, but the Christian churches didn't because they were being influenced not to by the Jewish synagogues?

And we do have at least one well-preserved church from that period with religious frescoes in it. In fact, it's down the street from the synagogue you seem to be alluding to.

Every time I read this synagogue being mentioned a tear falls from my eye, as it was apparently destroyed some months ago in the conflict in Syria :'(

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:36:43 AM by Nicodemusz138 »
What are the infallible sources in the Eastern Orthodox Church?

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Our Holy Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Holy Phanar
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »
Unfortunately I know nothing about the origins of this icon beyond that it depicts St. Nerses liturgizing. I don't even remember where I found it. It's nice, I think.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:05:31 PM by Antonis »
Somewhere on Athos, Antonis groans, and the skulls of the holy brethren with him!

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »
Tapestry?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »
Tapestry?

could also be a reproduction of a mural onto canvas.....I have a Georgian one of David the Restorer, that'
s from a Monastery mural but put onto canvas rather than a board
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Apostolic
  • Jurisdiction: Holy See of Cilicia
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »
Unfortunately I know nothing about the origins of this icon beyond that it depicts St. Nerses liturgizing. I don't even remember where I found it. It's nice, I think.

This image is from an illuminated manuscript.
"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem