Author Topic: Tony and Bart Campolo book, Why I Left, Why I Stayed  (Read 215 times)

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Tony and Bart Campolo book, Why I Left, Why I Stayed
« on: December 04, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
Why I Left, Why I Stayed by Tony Campolo & Bart Campolo (Book Review) by Chuck Mcknight

In Why I Left, Why I Stayed, Tony and Bart discuss their diverging journeys, their now-differing beliefs, and their still-shared convictions. ... I have to admit that one of my strongest emotions while reading was one of jealousy. I wish I had the option to carry out such conversations with my family in the grace-filled manner here exemplified. While Bart’s journey has taken him outside of Christianity, my own has simply shifted me from the Calvinistic fundamentalism of my upbringing to a Christian faith that is more progressive, more ecumenical, and more soundly rooted in historic orthodoxy.
[Bart writes]
"evangelical Christianity: It is grounded in a bizarre, counterintuitive self-hatred that claims we have no intrinsic goodness or value of our own, but rather deserve to be eternally punished simply for being born human."

The Eastern branch of Christianity, for the entirety of its existence, has rejected these ideas. And more and more Western Christians (myself included) are coming to reject these ideas as well, restoring our theology to the more ancient faith once delivered.
Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hippieheretic/2017/03/why-i-left-why-i-stayed-tony-bart-campolo-review.html#SWmtUAhevW0tXv7H.99
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20