Author Topic: Ending abortion our priority: Patriarch Kirill  (Read 642 times)

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
  • Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for US!
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Apostolic Throne of St. Peter's
Ending abortion our priority: Patriarch Kirill
« on: December 01, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »
Patriarch Kirill spoke of the necessity of ending the crime of abortion in Russia. It has declined 25% over the last five years.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/russian-orthodox-leader-the-problem-of-abortion-...-is-our-highest-priority

"His Holiness said the way to combat the mass slaughter of the preborn is not only to rebuke abortionists and exhort women not to kill their children but to help women in crisis. The primate told 2,000 attendees to analyze why young women abort. He said we must address the problems that drive women to kill, such as instability, parents’ anger, social pressure, and poverty.

Kirill coordinated political leaders and Orthodox bishops to work together to build homes for pregnant women in every province. “I cannot say that everything is working well; there are issues in Church-State relations, but my call was heard,” he reported.

The Russian hierarch addressed the State Duma twice, boldly issuing a call to solve the “horrifyingly high” number of abortions in the mother country. 

He pointed out that 650,000 abortions were committed in Russia in 2016. “A city like Tyumen has 744,000 residents. That means an entire city was lost within a year,” he noted."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:10:47 PM by Xavier »
"My daughter, look at My Heart surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console Me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months go to confession and receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary and keep Me company for a quarter of an hour" - The Theotokos to Sr. Lucia.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Ending abortion our priority: Patriarch Kirill
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
... He said we must address the problems that drive women to kill, such as instability, parents’ anger, social pressure, and poverty.

Kirill coordinated political leaders and Orthodox bishops to work together to build homes for pregnant women in every province. ...

Excellent. The Russian society, especially around Moscow, is very harsh for young women. Somehow I doubt his proposals will be taken up by the government, but we can pray.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »
As long as it's actually replaced with something, then good. To be honest, though, the words "Church" and "home for pregnant mothers" in the same sentence tends to give me hives (and even more so when we're talking about the Patriarch of the Holy Disappearing Watch).

But I guess it's a crappy situation no matter what.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »
Nice that's he adresses the social reasons for foeticide. As awful as it is, we can't pretend it's just a bunch of hysteric women killing their own children for no reason at all.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »
As long as it's actually replaced with something, then good. To be honest, though, the words "Church" and "home for pregnant mothers" in the same sentence tends to give me hives (and even more so when we're talking about the Patriarch of the Holy Disappearing Watch).

There's definitely reason to be wary of the corruption of the MP and any ostensibly charitable activity can be distorted. I guess the key difference here from institutions like the Magdalene Laundries is that the latter were basically forced labor prisons, in a society where pregnancy out of wedlock was viciously stigmatized. They were instituted as punishment/ "penitence" for the mothers and the welfare of the children was not a concern. In Russia, for better or worse, the mores are quite different now and what the MP is proposing is to ostensibly make it easier for mothers to keep and raise their children, not to punish them.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »

There's definitely reason to be wary of the corruption of the MP and any ostensibly charitable activity can be distorted. I guess the key difference here from institutions like the Magdalene Laundries is that the latter were basically forced labor prisons, in a society where pregnancy out of wedlock was viciously stigmatized. They were instituted as punishment/ "penitence" for the mothers and the welfare of the children was not a concern. In Russia, for better or worse, the mores are quite different now and what the MP is proposing is to ostensibly make it easier for mothers to keep and raise their children, not to punish them.

Fair enough. I hope you're right.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
  • Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for US!
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Apostolic Throne of St. Peter's
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 02:07:25 AM »
Yes, women should be helped to choose other options than abortion. But abortionists who keep killing children should be prosecuted. In my opinion, abortionists should receive a 10 year prison sentence at the least. That could be commuted to a lighter sentence if they demonstrate true remorse and contrition for their crime. But otherwise it shouldn't be. Protecting children's lives is serious business and will not be accomplished without strong resolve never to allow the genocide of innocent infants to continue.
"My daughter, look at My Heart surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console Me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months go to confession and receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary and keep Me company for a quarter of an hour" - The Theotokos to Sr. Lucia.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:29:24 AM »
Nice that's he adresses the social reasons for foeticide. As awful as it is, we can't pretend it's just a bunch of hysteric women killing their own children for no reason at all.
No, in my experience on sidewalks before abortion clinics, in about half of the cases it's hysteric boyfriends or parents who pressure them to kill their own children or grandchildren.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »
No, in my experience on sidewalks before abortion clinics, in about half of the cases it's hysteric boyfriends or parents who pressure them to kill their own children or grandchildren.

Exactly.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx