Author Topic: Liturgy and Byzantinization in Jerusalem  (Read 790 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Liturgy and Byzantinization in Jerusalem
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
This book will be available in February 2018 for the modest price of $104.56. Anyone with deep pockets or university library access, please let us know what you think of this book.

The Church of Jerusalem, the "mother of the churches of God," influenced all of Christendom before it underwent multiple captivities between the eighth and thirteenth centuries: first, political subjugation to Arab Islamic forces, then displacement of Greek-praying Christians by Crusaders, and finally ritual assimilation to fellow Orthodox Byzantines in Constantinople. All three contributed to the phenomenon of the Byzantinization of Jerusalem's liturgy, but only the last explains how it was completely lost and replaced by the liturgy of the imperial capital, Constantinople. The sources for this study are rediscovered manuscripts of Jerusalem's liturgical calendar and lectionary. When examined in context, they reveal that the devastating events of the Arab conquest in 638 and the destruction of the Holy Sepulchre in 1009 did not have as detrimental an effect on liturgy as previously held. Instead, they confirm that the process of Byzantinization was gradual and locally-effected, rather than an imposed element of Byzantine imperial policy or ideology of the Church of Constantinople. Originally, the city's worship consisted of reading scripture and singing hymns at places connected with the life of Christ, so that the link between holy sites and liturgy became a hallmark of Jerusalem's worship, but the changing sacred topography led to changes in the local liturgical tradition. Liturgy and Byzantinization in Jerusalem is the first study dedicated to the question of the Byzantinization of Jerusalem's liturgy, providing English translations of many liturgical texts and hymns here for the first time and offering a glimpse of Jerusalem's lost liturgical and theological tradition.

https://www.amazon.com/Liturgy-Byzantinization-Jerusalem-Christian-Studies/dp/0198812035/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1502140832&sr=1-1&keywords=Liturgy+and+Byzantinization+in+Jerusalem&linkCode=sl1&tag=eastern-20&linkId=fe5f0e930a39dc2a911c6900e23b076b
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
Re: Liturgy and Byzantinization in Jerusalem
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:05:07 PM »
You can read a recent article by the author of that book, regarding liturgy in Jerusalem during the Crusader period, here: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03044181.2017.1346935 (this link should work without a connection through a library).

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
I thought it was well-established the Byzantine liturgy had been heavily Levant-ized in the centuries before this. I suspect at least some of the narrative in this book to be more of the sensationalism that characterizes mediocre academic contribution to the humanities.

And did the author just forget about the Roman raizing of Jerusalem in the first century?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »
I thought it was well-established the Byzantine liturgy had been heavily Levant-ized in the centuries before this. I suspect at least some of the narrative in this book to be more of the sensationalism that characterizes mediocre academic contribution to the humanities.

And did the author just forget about the Roman raizing of Jerusalem in the first century?

You should probably take the time to read the article that Sam very helpfully posted.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »

You should probably take the time to read the article that Sam very helpfully posted.

It's okay. Burdened with the usual a priori analyses, pretenses of novel discovery, and an obtuse conclusion. How much of it have you read?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »
Your cool attitude will take you far in life.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm not worried.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 04:24:11 PM »
I wonder to what extent the Jerusalem Church ever had a Syriac-type liturgy and if so how it compared to the modern Jacobite Churches.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 04:59:58 PM »
While published by Oxford University Press, this is scholarship from the Pontifical Oriental Institute, which is rock solid.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »
Quite interesting. Thank you for the tip. Hopefully local university's library will have it.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!