OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:48:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethiopian Saint  (Read 1067 times) Average Rating: 0
Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: October 01, 2005, 12:44:39 PM »

Hello everyone,

In an ongoing project to enhance spiritual awareness with the children I work with, I have been researching each child's baptismal name, finding their feast day, life of the saint, icon if possible, etc.

We have a child that is Ethiopian, and his family is not able to be contacted. We have his baptismal name, Amdeberham . Can anyone give a feast, possible English equivilant, brief life, and if an icon exists for this child's patron saint?

I would be certainly most appreciative, and I am sure this child would be too.

Friar Tuck
SaintShenouti

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 04:56:25 PM »

Is Amdeberham Ethiopian Orthodox Tawahedo?  I'm sure that if nothing can be found about his namesake, then maybe you could tell him about St. Tekla Haymanot the Ethiopian.  What better way to have Amdeberham relate to Christianity than through his native Orthodox church.

http://st-takla.org/Gallery/Gallery-St-Takla-1.html
Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 05:30:14 PM »

Yes he is Ethiopian Orthodox from what I can tell. His baptismal records are written in his native language, and no one in my office can decipher them. I would post the information, but that would be a violation of a privacy standard. If there is a saint by that name I would be most interested.

Thank you
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 10:30:16 AM »

Friar Tuck,

Amde is apparently a not uncommon Ethiopian name, from Amharic, and means "a column"; Berham, also Amharic, means "light".  Berham is commonly joined with "Selassie" to mean "Light of the Trinity", a not uncommon name for Churches of the Ethiopian Tewahado Orthodox Church, which harkens back to a particularly revered and historical temple in Gondar, Ethiopia.

Not sure that's much help to you; best I could come up with.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: