Author Topic: Colinde  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Colinde
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:46:03 PM »
What are some good recordings of Colinde? Preferably stuff that’s acoustic, isn’t over produced, etc.
And if it can be downloaded on iTunes that’s a plus.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:49:58 PM by Iconodule »
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
Re: Colinde
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:02:02 PM »
This?

Colinde I - Ștefan Hrușcă
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/colinde-i/id585735128

EDIT: Listening to this album on Google Music, I'm liking it. Never heard this music before.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 10:03:59 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 10:05:14 PM »
Yeah I heard some of that one. The singing and guitar work is really nice. The keyboard in the background kind of bugged me, though maybe it shouldn’t.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 10:09:49 PM »
LOL some of the albums I've found on Google Music are so poorly produced they might as well be karoke tunes. MIDI heaven!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 10:10:11 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 10:10:55 PM »
Yeah that’s what I hope to avoid.
- Berdyaev

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
Ain't much out there from searching, this Ștefan Hrușcă is like the reigning Colinde king. Maybe augustin717 has some old 8-track tapes he can send you?

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »
Search " Ansamblul Icoane " . Much better.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 08:15:01 AM »
I have plenty of them on chomikuj.pl (it's like a Polish Google Disk):
http://chomikuj.pl/Srbija/*e2*98*a6Muzyka+chrze*c5*9bcija*c5*84ska+*e2*80*a0/Bo*c5*bce+Narodzenie/Rumu*c5*84skie/Kol*c4*99dy/ulubione
http://chomikuj.pl/Srbija/*e2*98*a6Muzyka+chrze*c5*9bcija*c5*84ska+*e2*80*a0/Bo*c5*bce+Narodzenie/Rumu*c5*84skie/Kol*c4*99dy/pozosta*c5*82e
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:40:42 AM »

That was nice, thanks.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »

Thanks, with the Stefac Bocsa guy, right? These are good. I also noticed that if I just search for the word "Ansamblul" a bunch of other Romanian folk groups come up, some of them with colinde albums that seem pretty good. +

What are your favorite songs? What did grandpa Augustin sing on a dark winter's night, after a hard day of werewolf hunting?
- Berdyaev

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
I have plenty of them on chomikuj.pl (it's like a Polish Google Disk):
http://chomikuj.pl/Srbija/*e2*98*a6Muzyka+chrze*c5*9bcija*c5*84ska+*e2*80*a0/Bo*c5*bce+Narodzenie/Rumu*c5*84skie/Kol*c4*99dy/ulubione
http://chomikuj.pl/Srbija/*e2*98*a6Muzyka+chrze*c5*9bcija*c5*84ska+*e2*80*a0/Bo*c5*bce+Narodzenie/Rumu*c5*84skie/Kol*c4*99dy/pozosta*c5*82e

Thanks, I'll check these out later. There's a lot of consonants to navigate.
- Berdyaev

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 11:15:48 AM »
Good videos of colinde (especially the new ones by Chivotul choir): https://doxologia.ro/video/colinde
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
The quintessential Romanian carol talks about two shepherds conspiring to kill a third one to steal his sheep. The third one knows  but resigned to his fate just give the two elaborate instructions as to where and how to be buried and what they should tell his mother.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 12:50:25 PM »
Is that "Trei Pastori"?
- Berdyaev

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 01:28:16 PM »

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
A Moldovan carol about a stag being chased and killed (another recurrent theme in old carols):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvGVwezDSw

This is a rather interesting channel with lots of Romanian folklore: https://www.youtube.com/user/Fabr1s/videos

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 04:40:50 PM »
A Moldovan carol about a stag being chased and killed (another recurrent theme in old carols):

Both interesting theme and music, haven't heard this carol before! (and I have more than 130 recordings of Romanian carols)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
My favorite Colinde song from the nuns of Camarzani Monastery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoPb_Q8RB5o
Wisdom from Elder Seraphim - All our troubles come from...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6eL2pwtVKs

The Goal of an Orthodox Monk: 'Incarnation of Love':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZishdSrYWM

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »

This is a rather interesting channel with lots of Romanian folklore: https://www.youtube.com/user/Fabr1s/videos

The stag is Christ, pursuing him is salvation. This imagery goes back to Apollo[n] Soter, for that matter.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »

The stag is Christ, pursuing him is salvation. This imagery goes back to Apollo[n] Soter, for that matter.
rein in your logismoi

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
My favorite Colinde song from the nuns of Camarzani Monastery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoPb_Q8RB5o
. By folklore standards that's shlock.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
In Romanian carols baby Jesus is so metal : he knows that the jews already plot to kill him but he tells his mother who's crying that he's gonna torment those Jews way worse "at the end of the age" ("că mai tare-i cinzui eu /cam la capi' veacului")

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »
You can't translate some of these songs or find translations?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »
that would be hard work since they are very idiomatic. But I'll try if I have time.
http://rucodelie.ro

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 12:13:56 AM »
that would be hard work since they are very idiomatic. But I'll try if I have time.
http://rucodelie.ro

I mean, you're putting us under unpleasant pressure if we're just supposed to agree with you that Romanian culture is awful without really knowing that culture. Quoting a few words of carols for our disdain is like talking behind Romania's back ... I do hope you come to terms with that relationship soon.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 12:16:58 AM »

I mean, you're putting us under unpleasant pressure if we're just supposed to agree with you that Romanian culture is awful without really knowing that culture. Quoting a few words of carols for our disdain is like talking behind Romania's back ... I do hope you come to terms with that relationship soon.
on the contrary it confirms FMG's thesis and marketing/evangelistic tool that orthodoxy isn't for wusses.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 12:22:43 AM »

on the contrary it confirms FMG's thesis and marketing/evangelistic tool that orthodoxy isn't for wusses.

You're hopelessly conflating all your personal peeves.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 03:32:30 PM »

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »
The Carol Bela Bartok used almost mot a mot for his Cantata Profana  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LHe_lP1jDCg
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:24:59 PM by augustin717 »