Author Topic: Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry (OCPM)  (Read 369 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry (OCPM)
« on: November 24, 2017, 07:31:04 AM »
Our goal is to bring the love of Christ to those in prison by providing encouragement, material support, transition and reintegration services, Christian education, spiritual guidance and the sacramental life of the Church.

OCPM is the official prison ministry of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America (formerly SCOBA)

The web page

The Facebook page

OCPM ministers to nearly 1,000 men and women who are in prison or who have recently been released. Many have embraced the Orthodox Faith, while others who were already Orthodox found their way back to The Church.

Five men have been tonsured Orthodox monks in prison and several others have become Iconographers.
There are currently over 300 Orthodox catechumens in jails and prisons across America.

^^ These stats are amazing!

Orthodox Prison Ministry - Complete Presentation (video)

Youtube channel

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Christ is Risen!
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry (OCPM)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 08:14:04 AM »
Nice!
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 09:22:26 AM »
Glory to God! I did some prison ministry years ago. One of the best experiences of my life. I learned so much from the humility, strength, dignity, and wisdom of the incarcerated men that I met and fellowshipped with. They ministered to me much more than I ministered to them.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »
Glory to God! I did some prison ministry years ago. One of the best experiences of my life. I learned so much from the humility, strength, dignity, and wisdom of the incarcerated men that I met and fellowshipped with. They ministered to me much more than I ministered to them.

Selam
Gebre, have you posted about your prison ministry experiences on this board?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:32:53 PM »
The paperback version of the Orthodox Study Bible, New Testament, in back in print.  I'm just mentioning this here because my understanding is that this version is good for prison ministry, since hardbound books are sometimes banned.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 06:33:20 PM »
The paperback version of the Orthodox Study Bible, New Testament, in back in print.  I'm just mentioning this here because my understanding is that this version is good for prison ministry, since hardbound books are sometimes banned.

Why is it only the NT? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd say that's the most important part of the Bible but shouldn't it at least have the Psalms, too?
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 06:44:35 PM »

Why is it only the NT? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd say that's the most important part of the Bible but shouldn't it at least have the Psalms, too?
It does. I got the email about it.
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »
We have a parishoner Andrew on Death Row, so this is a present reality to us.
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 07:04:50 PM »

It does. I got the email about it.

Oh, ok.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 07:05:37 PM »

Thank God he's finding forgiveness.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »

Indeed. he converted there, so I think Forgiveness found him  ;)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »

Indeed. he converted there, so I think Forgiveness found him  ;)

Yeah :)

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 10:58:44 PM »
TO MY INCARCERATED BROTHERS and SISTERS

This is an excerpt from my second book. If anyone has a way to get this to those in prison, please do so. Thanks.

Selam
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:59:09 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx