OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:28:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godfathers?  (Read 1308 times) Average Rating: 0
kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: October 01, 2005, 12:55:51 AM »

I was brought into my parish as a catechumen almost 3 months ago, at the time a friend and 'professional Godfather' stood beside me.  However, I have yet to ask if he would be my Godfather, due to his mentioning how difficult it is to keep up with the others as is.  Is this something i am supposed to ask someone to do for me?  Is it generally something that I'm approached with?  I've lacked in guidance from long before the prayers were said.  I'm resorting to internet advice, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

michael
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 03:08:23 AM »

My spiritual father recommended someone for me. He was already a friend, but he was not my first choice. Nonetheless, i was obediaent and he turned out ot be a good match. Pray and ask your priest for recommendations. Hope this helps.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 03:10:52 AM »

Michael,
 ÃƒÆ’‚ I'm not quite sure that there is a set 'rule' regarding picking a Godfather for your reception to the Orthodox Church, I had just asked someone to be my God Mother when I was received, although, it may be different from Church to Church, if I were you, I would speak to your priest and see what he thinks, that would be the best thing to do.  That's what I would always advise, especially seeing that you are a Catechumen, you need to seek the guidance of your priest, seeking answers online may not always be the wisest option because you can get many confusing answers out here.  Just a friendly warning Smiley  I'm not saying anything against seeking answers online, but it's always best to speak to your priest first.  Smiley ÂÂ

In Christ,
the sinner,
Mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 03:11:55 AM »

My spiritual father recommended someone for me. He was already a friend, but he was not my first choice. Nonetheless, i was obediaent and he turned out ot be a good match. Pray and ask your priest for recommendations. Hope this helps.
I would definetly seccond that aserb! Smiley It is always the wisest to pray and ask your priest for reccomendations/advice especially on matters concerning your faith Smiley

Mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
irene

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 08:50:48 AM »

ÂÂ  I had someone in mind, but hesitated to ask because of their busy life/schedule, too.
ÂÂ  The exciting news is THAT person came up and asked me one day!ÂÂ  Smiley
  When discussing it with my spiritual father, he wholeheartedly agreed to the idea.  ÃƒÆ’‚ But he also reminded me, in a gentle way, (because we
ÂÂ  jumped the gun a bit without him) that he isÂÂ  my spiritual father, and isÂÂ  part of the equation, (re:decisions, etc),ÂÂ  which I'm glad
ÂÂ  about.ÂÂ  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 08:54:25 AM by irene » Logged
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 01:51:38 PM »

It's nice if you know someone, but what they did for us was right when we'd decided it was time to go ahead and get ready for the baptisms/confirmation, my priest made us get up in front of everyone one Sunday and he basically put out a call for godparents...worked fine!!  Fr. helped choose the final ones (there were many offers!) and we got wonderful wonderful people.  My nouna I met at social hour, of all places, but she is perfect.
kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 07:34:46 PM »

I forgot that i'd posted this.. thank you all for your responses.  The 'professional godfather' worked out.  I mentioned the thought to him and he was basically just waiting for me to ask. it was evident who my godfather should be.  Last night he had a dinner with his godsons and his godfather which was very nice and a good opportunity for me to get to know others in my parish a little better. 

Again, I appreciate everyone's advice a great deal.  Fortunately, everything panned out quite quickly once I prayed about it. Next time i'll pray a little more before i 'resort' to internet advice.

michael
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: