Author Topic: What does Orthodoxy say of those of us who neither marry or become monastic?  (Read 570 times)

Offline Nicholas_83

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
This may be a bit of hangover from the Roman Catholic ideas on vocation I grew up with; but I've come to the point in my life where I've given up the idea of marriage but am also too old for monasticism (30 is cutoff in my church's tradition... I considered it seriously in my twenties but other factors sidetracked that)... I admit to some serious anxiety about purpose in my life. What does the Church have to say to those like me?

Online William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
That you don't deal with the craziness of marriage or monasticism and have to deal with the craziness of not being married or monastic.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
So, nothing.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
1 Corinthians 7 talks about how the unmarried are freer to devote themselves to God. Given that monasticism in its modern form didn't exist in the first century, it seems pretty clear to me that there was an informal version of consecrated virginity.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
For some elite men in Byzantium lifelong bachelorhood seemed to be a respectable option. Photios was in his late 40’s before he was ordained and raised to Patriarch.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:44:02 AM by Iconodule »
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
You have the freedom to volunteer around your parish and wider community.

Also, what is your job? You could take on a profession that might pay less but be of more direct service to people.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

Single and happy!

I didn't "plan" on ending up single and childless...but...that's how it panned out for me.

Other than a few odd days when I allow loneliness to infiltrate my being, I am truly blessed, happy and busy.

I am able to volunteer not only at my local parish, the greater Church family, local Orthodox churches, food pantries, homeless shelters, etc.  I am also able to pursue my hobbies.  Nobody awaits me at home...so, if I linger longer over a project....nobody is missing me, or not fed because I am not there, etc.

I am able to devote time and energy to endeavors other than spouse and family.

It is all what YOU choose to do with YOUR life.  I know some miserable singles...and I know some very happy ones.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
This may be a bit of hangover from the Roman Catholic ideas on vocation I grew up with; but I've come to the point in my life where I've given up the idea of marriage but am also too old for monasticism (30 is cutoff in my church's tradition...

Wow, really? Isn't it against stroies like st. Moses the Black?
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Nicholas_83

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Dominika:
Well. I keep hearing and reading this number. I suppose there may be exceptions. I never talked to my father of confession about it as I simply assumed this was correct

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
First off, cut off ages are not hard limits, especially if you're still in the ballpark.  So, do not let this stop you from looking further into monasticism and contacting monasteries to discern your commitments.

On the other hand, as others have mentioned, the freedom to not have a time to be back home and to to answer a distress call from a friend at the drop of the hat allows you to give more of your time to others. I'm sure that it would bring you happiness to serve others in the many ways suggested throughout this thread.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
The Christian life is applicable to all, in my analysis. Specifically, as others have implied, be busy, be brotherly. Don't fail to build friendships, even with families, and to have plenty of work and activity to do with others -- loneliness is death.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
In the introduction to his translation of Saint Ephrem's "Hymns on Paradise," Sebastian Brock talks about two forms of celibate life that were fairly common in Saint Ephrem's region and in other Christian communities, before Egyptian-style monasticism spread there. One was the ihidaya (the same word could mean solitary, only-begotten, and other related words) which was a single man or woman living alone though not cut off from the community. I guess this is more-or-less what Saint Paul has in mind in the first letter to the Corinthians. The other was the qaddishe which was married couples who voluntarily renounced marital intercourse. Neither category would be considered monks really, as they generally remained involved in the community. Saint Ephrem himself was an ihidaya, though he is often anachronistically portrayed as a monk. As such he was zealously involved in public service.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline MariaJLM

• Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
I've often wondered about this myself. I think I do feel the call to monasticism, but in the case that I don't end up doing that I know marriage isn't exactly an option either. Through some exploration I have discovered there's other options, fortunately. You could do missionary work. That could be anything from engaging with local troubled folks to interacting with orphans. My particular jurisdiction does plenty of work for Ukrainian orphanages.

Essentially, as Christians we are called to serve the needy. Doing it as an unmarried person could actually be beneficial imo. While married people channel most of their energy into raising their families, unmarried people obviously have to channel it elsewhere? Why not channel it in serving humanity in a compassionate Christ-like manner?

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
Essentially, as Christians we are called to serve the needy. Doing it as an unmarried person could actually be beneficial imo. While married people channel most of their energy into raising their families, unmarried people obviously have to channel it elsewhere? Why not channel it in serving humanity in a compassionate Christ-like manner?

I can make a pickup line out of this... ;)

Hey there are single folks that are in need of love from another, that's Christianly no? ;D
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East

Hey there are single folks that are in need of love from another, that's Christianly no? ;D

I need love, RobS. 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox

It actually is, although matrimonial love, and love for strangers are I think equally legitimate variations on the same divine principle.  I love love and I love that there are different forms of love.  :)
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.