Author Topic: Burnout  (Read 689 times)

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
Burnout
« on: November 20, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
What does one do, when he is burned out? 

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
Re: Burnout
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »
Keep praying.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:07:55 PM »
Thank you RobS, it just I realize lately,  when someone starts talking about the faith I'm like "meh" and I even entertained the the thought it wouldn't be such a shame if I overslept a Sunday or two. I know sinful thoughts,  yet I felt that Church becoming a all day affair gets overwhelming at times. I feel for our priests,  having it as a 24/7 duty.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 04:08:51 PM »
Keep praying.
+1

The other thing is to examine what, specifically, has one feeling burned out. Pinpointing issues can help avoid throwing the baby out with the baptismal water.

EDIT: I see your response above.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:09:25 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »
I feel for you. I've certainly sensed that at times. For me solution was to rethinking going to church as a free choice instead of responsibility. I don't go to church because sleeping on sundays would be sinful but because I feel better when I do.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Saxon

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 04:52:51 PM »
Keep praying.
+1

The other thing is to examine what, specifically, has one feeling burned out. Pinpointing issues can help avoid throwing the baby out with the baptismal water.

EDIT: I see your response above.

^ This.

As someone who went through a cycle of burnout, disillusionment, and downright resentment of the faith, figuring out the trigger of what is pushing you away is key to managing the situation. My own issues were largely self-created and were products of stubbornness and "getting ahead of myself" spiritually, among other factors. Now I can in no way speak for your situation, but I'd wager there's more to it than just boredom or indifference. Pray, and talk to your spiritual father or someone else that you feel comfortable opening up to about how you're feeling and perhaps a path to renewal will open up.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 04:04:45 AM »
Thank you RobS, it just I realize lately,  when someone starts talking about the faith I'm like "meh" and I even entertained the the thought it wouldn't be such a shame if I overslept a Sunday or two. I know sinful thoughts,  yet I felt that Church becoming a all day affair gets overwhelming at times. I feel for our priests,  having it as a 24/7 duty.

This is called despondency and it's one of the greatest attacks of the devil. Ask for God help and keep struggling. This feel will come ever so often (at least once a year for me). God will see your struggle in these hard times and it will show your love for Him if you keep pushing and fighting. Eventually this feeling will go away. I notice this feeling comes most when I am wrapped up in the worries of the world. 

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 04:22:38 AM »
God will see your struggle in these hard times and it will show your love for Him if you keep pushing and fighting. Eventually this feeling will go away.

Or you'll end up leaving faith altogether because you just can't do it anymore.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »
God will see your struggle in these hard times and it will show your love for Him if you keep pushing and fighting. Eventually this feeling will go away.

Or you'll grow older. In fact, whether one stays or leaves, one does grow older and may well return. I am saying this because in my observation and personal experience such enthusiasm and burnout are part of youth.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »

1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." Leaving the faith because of a little temptation is your own personal choice of free will. I like what C.S. Lewis said, "I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 06:21:31 PM »
What does one do, when he is burned out? 
Relax your mind by reading a novel or something and pray.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
Dodgeball.
To my shame, I may have been very drunk when I wrote this.

"Learn meditation." - Anonymous

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 04:15:50 AM »

1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." Leaving the faith because of a little temptation is your own personal choice of free will. I like what C.S. Lewis said, "I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”

Temptation is one thing and demanding too much from yourself is another thing.

If Christianity didn't make C.S. Lewis happy, I'm sorry for him. Orthodoxy makes me happy.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 04:27:48 AM »

Temptation is one thing and demanding too much from yourself is another thing.

If Christianity didn't make C.S. Lewis happy, I'm sorry for him. Orthodoxy makes me happy.

I think you are missing the point and to be honest you sound a little selfish.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 05:51:19 AM »

It's kinda hard to tell from that particular quote that C.S. Lewis promoted joy rather than being dour, but I'm not sure where that second part of your response came from ???

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »
Dodgeball.

This is one of the sagest replies in the thread. Man was not created for sitting and thinking.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »

It's kinda hard to tell from that particular quote that C.S. Lewis promoted joy rather than being dour, but I'm not sure where that second part of your response came from ???

Might have been a little harsh, forgive me. It just seems like so many people are living in their own idea of what Christianity should be based on their personal comfort levels and when they are tested just a little bit or asked to carry a cross it's suddenly to much. If God says you will not be tempted beyond what you are able than He means it. Alpo, maybe you can go into more detail by what you mean when you say, "Demanding too much from yourself is another thing." We all have a cross to bear and to say Christ is demanding too much!? He died for us, that's the ultimate sacrifice! Now if you aren't dying I don't think it's too much to bear (personally). This is not a comfortable life, it's not suppose to be. Simply read Ecclesiastes 9:11, it's even titled "Life is not fair."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »

Might have been a little harsh, forgive me. It just seems like so many people are living in their own idea of what Christianity should be based on their personal comfort levels and when they are tested just a little bit or asked to carry a cross it's suddenly to much. If God says you will not be tempted beyond what you are able than He means it. Alpo, maybe you can go into more detail by what you mean when you say, "Demanding too much from yourself is another thing." We all have a cross to bear and to say Christ is demanding too much!? He died for us, that's the ultimate sacrifice! Now if you aren't dying I don't think it's too much to bear (personally). This is not a comfortable life, it's not suppose to be. Simply read Ecclesiastes 9:11, it's even titled "Life is not fair."

You seem to presuppose that mortal ills are never of our own devising. In my experience, there is definitely a difference between the cross we are given, as you put it, and the false cross we can give ourselves by misperceptions, ego, and so on. So while I agree one can never be legitimately driven from Christ, at the same time one can certainly be forced to abandon parts of oneself one mistakes for Christ. There is no harm in Alpo's advice to seek rest and sanity.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 05:03:24 AM »

You seem to presuppose that mortal ills are never of our own devising. In my experience, there is definitely a difference between the cross we are given, as you put it, and the false cross we can give ourselves by misperceptions, ego, and so on. So while I agree one can never be legitimately driven from Christ, at the same time one can certainly be forced to abandon parts of oneself one mistakes for Christ.

Basically this is what I was implying. We are to bear our crosses but sometimes we and our neighbours give us too heavy crosses to bear. IIRC I've read of some Fathers who adviced on not praying or reading too much when you are just a beginner.

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 12:36:20 PM »
I have found that one of the things  that will burn out the convert is that they want to be the "PERFECT" Orthodox Christian overnight. My spiritual father once told me, attend the services, and take everything else one step at a time. Conversion is a life long trip that helps us  day-by-day and step-by-step towards Theosis.
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas