Author Topic: Head of Russian Orthodox Church Warns of 'the End of History'  (Read 567 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Head of Russian Orthodox Church Warns of 'the End of History'
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
The head of the Russian Orthodox church, Patriarch Kirill, said Monday that the end of the world is approaching, the state-run RIA Novosti news agency reports.

Following a service at the Christ the Savior Cathedral in central Moscow, Kirill told congregants that the coming apocalypse "is already visible to the naked eye.”

According to Kirill, society can unite to prevent the world from slipping into “the abyss of the end of history."

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/birthday-russia-orthodox-church-end-of-history-59626

Okay, so this is not that unusual; what really got my attention was this bit at the end:
The Patriarch himself is approaching his own finitude, having turned 71 years old today.

To mark the occasion, the Patriarch was gifted a puppet of Saint Tikhon, who headed the Russian church a century ago, the Interfax news agency reports.

Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Head of Russian Orthodox Church Warns of 'the End of History'
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »
Okay, so this is not that unusual; what really got my attention was this bit at the end:
The Patriarch himself is approaching his own finitude, having turned 71 years old today.

To mark the occasion, the Patriarch was gifted a puppet of Saint Tikhon, who headed the Russian church a century ago, the Interfax news agency reports.

I don't speak Russian, but if you follow the links and don't go for the automatic translation, it seems "puppet" may be a (bad) translation of "koukoulion", the patriarchal headdress.

Edit: I could very well be wrong.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:07:42 PM by Mor Ephrem »
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:45:47 PM »

I don't speak Russian, but if you follow the links and don't go for the automatic translation, it seems "puppet" may be a (bad) translation of "koukoulion", the patriarchal headdress.

hand or marionette?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Our Holy Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Holy Phanar
Somewhere on Athos, Antonis groans, and the skulls of the holy brethren with him!

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 02:48:02 PM »

No, you're right. The word for "puppet" (кукла) is very similar to the word for "koukoulion" (куколь), and a cursory glance makes me think they descend from the same root.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »

No, you're right. The word for "puppet" (кукла) is very similar to the word for "koukoulion" (куколь), and a cursory glance makes me think they descend from the same root.

spoilsport....it was more fun imagining him being handed a giant puppet and trying to figure out what to think of it or do with it
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »
And I thought we were seeing the start of a daring new approach to Orthodox homiletics.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »

spoilsport....it was more fun imagining him being handed a giant puppet and trying to figure out what to think of it or do with it

Indeed.  The thought of His Holiness with a bewildered expression surveying one of the giant paper mache puppets of doom Catholics and Episcopalians like to use in their services was amusing.

I read on an Orthodox website a blistering condemnation of the use of such giant puppets in the liturgy, derived from the use of this kind of puppet to mock Russian Orthodox clergy and other Czarist authority figures in the wake of the Bolshevik Revolution.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 06:42:55 PM »
And I thought we were seeing the start of a daring new approach to Orthodox homiletics.
or voodoo ecumenism.
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »

A Russian version of the creepy giant puppet Masses you see in videos of conventions of the Mainline.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:53:17 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:14:40 PM »

It says
копию куколя (головного убора - ИФ) и мантии святителя Тихона

A copy of the head gear and mantia
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 08:33:40 PM »
So the integrity of Orthodox polemics against Catholic clown masses remains intact! Glory to God!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »
So the integrity of Orthodox polemics against Catholic clown masses remains intact! Glory to God!

Abba Hezekiah's intercessions are kind to us today!
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 12:04:43 AM »

Abba Hezekiah's intercessions are kind to us today!

The diabolical atheists in the secular media will stop at nothing in their attempt to tear the garment of Christ apart. Little do they know that the garment is made of mithril and is thus impervious to their wicked schemes!

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »
Society can unite to end the apocolypse? I think that is wrong

I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »
Society can unite to end the apocolypse? I think that is wrong

Yeah this seems like a fairly secular take on the subject. Apocolypse should mean more than "bad times because mankind couldn't get along." But maybe something was lost in translation.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy