Author Topic: Annoyed with Inconsistency of Orthodoxy?  (Read 14791 times)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
Re: Annoyed with Inconsistency of Orthodoxy?
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2018, 11:33:33 AM »
Isn't "Orthodox" or "Catholic" or "Protestant" interchangeable? ...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2018, 12:37:45 PM »

Only sociologically/politically.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2018, 12:44:53 PM »
The contemporary Roman Catholic ethos is Poundian: out with the old, in with the new!  Of course, as any institution that marries modernity, it quickly becomes a widow.  Alas, in my anecdotal experience all Eastern Catholic Churches have adopted the spirit of modern reformation injected by VII and no liturgy has remained intact and are nowadays farther from their original form.

I went to a melkite parish twice, it was a service in the middle of the week, not sunday. I didnt see any weird inovation, what I found odd was the priest explaining that melkites were not orthodox, after liturgy in a kind of ''notification time'' (how do you guys call the moment when the priest/pastor tells about the incoming events and feasts?).
Mostly, the innovations are in the details, especially in the translation of the liturgical texts, which have been happening quite a bit in the last couple of decades, probably related to the mandate from Rome for new translations based on the Latin text approved in 2001, though this applied only to the churches using the Roman liturgy.  As a matter of fact, often many Eastern Catholic Churches took to apply to themselves directives directed to the Latin Church from VII.  Of course, not at the expense of their own traditions, as it happened in the West.

From my own experiences with Eastern Catholicism (which is limited only to some research and attending Maronite and Ukrainian Catholic Masses), the amount of Liberalism in terms of liturgy and discipline varies from "jurisdiction" to "jurisdiction". For example, I know that - at least in the United States - the Melkite Catholic Church has a rather rigorous fast, and basically follows the Orthodox Fast, whereas the Ukrainian Catholic Church has abolished all of their fasting rules and follows the Roman Rite post-Vatican II. Likewise, I have found much, much more liturgical liberalism is permitted within the Ukrainian Catholic Church (in one of the Patriarchal Churches, in Parma Heights, the communion hymn was "Oh beautiful for spacious skies" when I attended it) but I have found the Melkite Catholic Church to be more conservative.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:46:38 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2018, 12:49:35 PM »

Have you seen the state at which the Anglican Communion has been in? I don't even think sociologically / politically they are properly interchangable. There's fundamental differences in the norms of discipline and morality between these religious groups. That's also not to mention more specific moral differences, such as views on alcohol and contraception, which differ even among groups that have shared sociological / political norms.
I'm done.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
Views on alcohol and contraception?
Now, the interaction of those two seems especially interesting  8)
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2018, 03:33:38 PM »

Have you seen the state at which the Anglican Communion has been in? I don't even think sociologically / politically they are properly interchangable. There's fundamental differences in the norms of discipline and morality between these religious groups. That's also not to mention more specific moral differences, such as views on alcohol and contraception, which differ even among groups that have shared sociological / political norms.

Every flavor of Christianity has its conservative and liberal wings. The only differences are the relative volume of the mutual screeching.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2018, 06:23:34 PM »

Every flavor of Christianity has its conservative and liberal wings. The only differences are the relative volume of the mutual screeching.

Yes, that true,  yet I think there is certain things,  Orthodox Church would never do, whatever,  left or Right wings of the flock complained to the hierarchy. Where as in other Churches the Heirarchs have caved to One extreme, or the other, and also cut themselves off from Holy tradition.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2018, 07:08:19 PM »

Interesting point. It's hard to pin that down on Protestantism, because due to the fact that their origin is breaking away from an organized ecclesial structure, there's no enforcement mechanism to try to hold their ideology within any ecclesial structure, such that each ecclesial structure of Protestantism tends to be representative of a conservative or liberal wing.

There's no incentive to stay with the Anglican Communion when one can just hop on in and join the Anglican Catholic Church or some other Continuing Anglican movement, nor is there incentive to stay with the ELCA when one can just join the LCMS.

I find it interesting the amount of "mutual screeching" when one compares the Roman Catholic Communion to the Orthodox Communions; in the former, it seems that the Liberals have formed their sect with the Jesuits, the Traditionals have formed their sect with the FSSP / ICKSP, and the JP2 mainstream are everywhere else, and all are screaming at each other, whereas in Orthodoxy, opinions that are too radical - either conservative or Liberal - get a strong rebuking to shut up and listen to your priest - however, clearly in Orthodoxy Liberals and conservatives have also formed allegiances in certain areas too (their tends to be more Liberals in GOARCH and more conservatives in ROCOR); it isn't nearly as vocally pronounced as it is in Roman Catholicism nonetheless.

Also to note is the fact that it seems that the wideness of opinions is very subtantially different in each communion as well.
In Protestantism, anything goes; compare that to what's allowed in Roman Catholicism or Orthodoxy (the latter which I view as much stricter overall, despite Roman Catholicism being much stricter in other areas [e.g., contraception and deaconesses]).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:12:54 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2018, 07:35:56 PM »
despite Roman Catholicism being much stricter in other areas [e.g., contraception and deaconesses]).

Changing the name of something so you appear to be following older ways (but not too old!) doesn't really count...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:37:30 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »

I dont know if you knew about it, but that episcopal cathedral in San Francisco recently held something called ''Beyoncé mass'', look up for it if you have a strong stomach.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »

I dont know if you knew about it, but that episcopal cathedral in San Francisco recently held something called ''Beyoncé mass'', look up for it if you have a strong stomach.

I don’t think he’s ready for that jelly...
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2018, 12:19:17 AM »

Somehow that doesn't shock me.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2018, 09:41:27 AM »

I don’t think he’s ready for that jelly...

After this year's Met Gala 2018 display, which literally makes me physically sick (I'm not even kidding)

I'm ready for anything. If there was a Catholic or Episcopal Black Mass in the name of tolerance of other religions (to show that the Satanists are really just misunderstood atheists), I wouldn't be surprised anymore.

*Makes Sign of the Cross*
I'm done.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »
When is the world gonna end again? It seems that God has been really patient recently, and I don't know if I even want to live on this planet anymore.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:44:07 AM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2018, 01:05:37 PM »
When is the world gonna end again? It seems that God has been really patient recently, and I don't know if I even want to live on this planet anymore.
Not our business. God already won the world, so to man, patience is reserved. See St. John 16:33.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2018, 01:33:26 PM »
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2018, 06:10:56 PM »

Pretty sure tacky jewelry versions of Christian things are nothing new even in the fashion world. Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »

Pretty sure tacky jewelry versions of Christian things are nothing new even in the fashion world. Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Honestly, imagine me living in 16th century Italy and reacting to some of the paintings / sculptures.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:05:37 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2018, 01:33:23 PM »
No.
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »
Why those ppl never met you ... Assuming there is even anyone there

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2018, 03:09:36 PM »
I like the Western influence on Russian Orthodoxy (except when it came to the Western Captivity on theology in the 18th c)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:10:59 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
I like the Western influence on Russian Orthodoxy (except when it came to the Western Captivity on theology in the 18th c)

Is it even possible to separate them?
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2018, 03:50:01 PM »

Is it even possible to separate them?

Ain't no captivity like a western captivity 'cause a western captivity don't stop.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2018, 04:34:24 PM »
My eyes hurt. Why did you post those pictures? Doesn't really make things better, does it? Didn't it suffice that you saw them, did we also have to see them?
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2018, 05:26:53 PM »

Honestly, imagine me living in 16th century Italy and reacting to some of the paintings / sculptures.

16th Century... Florence? With its memetic homosexuality ("that game from the back that Florentine men love" as they called it) and profligate artist communities that produced sculptures like Donatello's twinky David? Ok.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2018, 05:28:28 PM »
My eyes hurt. Why did you post those pictures? Doesn't really make things better, does it? Didn't it suffice that you saw them, did we also have to see them?

I'm sorry. Nobody should be exposed to Reggie Fils-Aimé. You didn't lose your lunch, did you?

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2018, 11:25:46 PM »
The contemporary Roman Catholic ethos is Poundian: out with the old, in with the new!  Of course, as any institution that marries modernity, it quickly becomes a widow.  Alas, in my anecdotal experience all Eastern Catholic Churches have adopted the spirit of modern reformation injected by VII and no liturgy has remained intact and are nowadays farther from their original form.

I went to a melkite parish twice, it was a service in the middle of the week, not sunday. I didnt see any weird inovation, what I found odd was the priest explaining that melkites were not orthodox, after liturgy in a kind of ''notification time'' (how do you guys call the moment when the priest/pastor tells about the incoming events and feasts?).
Mostly, the innovations are in the details, especially in the translation of the liturgical texts, which have been happening quite a bit in the last couple of decades, probably related to the mandate from Rome for new translations based on the Latin text approved in 2001, though this applied only to the churches using the Roman liturgy.  As a matter of fact, often many Eastern Catholic Churches took to apply to themselves directives directed to the Latin Church from VII.  Of course, not at the expense of their own traditions, as it happened in the West.

From my own experiences with Eastern Catholicism (which is limited only to some research and attending Maronite and Ukrainian Catholic Masses), the amount of Liberalism in terms of liturgy and discipline varies from "jurisdiction" to "jurisdiction". For example, I know that - at least in the United States - the Melkite Catholic Church has a rather rigorous fast, and basically follows the Orthodox Fast, whereas the Ukrainian Catholic Church has abolished all of their fasting rules and follows the Roman Rite post-Vatican II. Likewise, I have found much, much more liturgical liberalism is permitted within the Ukrainian Catholic Church (in one of the Patriarchal Churches, in Parma Heights, the communion hymn was "Oh beautiful for spacious skies" when I attended it) but I have found the Melkite Catholic Church to be more conservative.

Sounds like high church or church with all the bells or trappings.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2018, 12:40:01 PM »
All kidding aside, nobody who is Orthodox is seriously offended by these pictures?
I'm done.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »

I'm ready for anything.

So am I.

While I usually tolerate sex jokes, I find this post in regard to the subject matter to be quite obscene, and it bids poorly for your eternal soul to make sex jokes in regards to the Virgin Mary. If you don't go to confession, good luck during the Last Judgment - because if I ain't making it, you sure as hell ain't.

I think even 13 year olds would find that offensive.

If I'm the "graceless schismatic" and you, Mor, are in a state of grace, I know for a fact that you are doing a poor job at representing Oriental Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:45:04 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2018, 12:46:57 PM »
I have a lot of scruples to resolve, and I ain't close to Theosis - I still probably haven't started on step 1 - but for me this is morally unacceptable.

Would you find a stripping Virgin Mary cosplayer erotic?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:48:18 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2018, 01:01:02 PM »
While I usually tolerate sex jokes, I find this post in regard to the subject matter to be quite obscene, and it bids poorly for your eternal soul to make sex jokes in regards to the Virgin Mary. If you don't go to confession, good luck during the Last Judgment - because if I ain't making it, you sure as hell ain't.

If I'm the "graceless schismatic" and you, Mor, are in a state of grace, I know for a fact that you are doing a poor job at representing Oriental Orthodoxy.

Who said his comment was in regard to the Virgin Mary?   ???  Or that it was necessarily even a sex joke?  He could have been agreeing with you.  I won't touch on the probability of either option, because it's not mine or yours to do that, or speculate on his confessing habits.  Let God worry about Mor's soul and to what effect he is representing the OO Tradition.  Worry about your own soul first, but if you feel Mor really is in spiritual danger, pray the Jesus prayer for him.   :police:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:02:51 PM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2018, 02:11:10 PM »
+1
I'm done.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2018, 03:36:14 PM »

I'm ready for anything.

So am I.

It wasn't in regards to Mary, but to the models. Give people a little benefit of the doubt before you fly off the handle, please.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
All kidding aside, nobody who is Orthodox is seriously offended by these pictures?

I'm not Orthodox, but since I was already involved in the discussion, I'll just say that I am offended- provided we define "offended" in the most milquetoast sense possible. It's tacky (though I do like the pseudo-Byzantine stylings and color scheme, it would be nice if they took Mary off of it and got rid of the stupid crown), but I don't want to duel anybody over it or anything and I certainly don't fear for my safety in Western society (I think said fear lurks in the background in a lot of complaints by minority people, and it's not a good thing that pop culture just broad brushes it all as them being "offended" or "sensitive").

Like I said, this is nothing new. Kanye and Jay-Z have been calling themselves "Yeezus" and "[Je]Hov[ah]" for years (remember the Rolling Stone cover?) and people have been using crucifixes as jewelry for longer. "Slutty nun" costumes, Madonna's "Like a Little Prayer," Lay Gaga's "Judas," J-Lo dressed as Mary in The Cell, The Last Temptation of Christ, I could go on and on. Most of the time little if any malice is intended, it's just stupidity. And I think that Christians only serve to create a "Boy Who Cried Wolf" scenario when they get up in arms about it (or make it look like they're just fishing for media attention and donations).

If I lived somewhere like China where the government was actively trying to quash Christianity, I might feel different. But here in the US, I'm too privileged to feel justified in getting angry about it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:03:26 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2018, 04:32:58 PM »
Of course, none of this applies to Sistermon Noir from Digimon.

Sistermon Noir will always get a pass.

Always.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:33:13 PM by Volnutt »

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2018, 07:53:57 PM »
Of course, none of this applies to Sistermon Noir from Digimon.

Sistermon Noir will always get a pass.

Always.

Thank you for the calm response, and I appreciate it. I would be a hot potato if I was on Veggietales.

I personally have the opinion that Christ really had a biological love to His Mother much like we do to our mothers, and whenever the Theotokos is blasphemed, I find that to be a whole other degree of offensiveness, much like offending my mother is worse than offending me.

But of course! Posting on an Orthodox forum about me being offended is sure to change their mind!  :-X

But still, getting selectively outraged on this article is appropriate imo compared to the usual making fun of Jesus thing.

I also got really offended at the Alejandro Lady GaGa video when I discovered it, where she dresses as a nun who strips and fornicates, and also eats a Rosary (wth)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:59:38 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2018, 07:56:56 PM »
No problem :)

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2018, 12:03:12 AM »

I'm sorry. Nobody should be exposed to Reggie Fils-Aimé. You didn't lose your lunch, did you?

I guess his body wasn't ready for that.

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2018, 12:06:37 AM »
I have locked this topic, it has gone into a free for all that has nothing to do with inconsistencies in the Orthodox Church.
Thomas
Convert Issues Moderator
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas