Author Topic: Anything I should know before attending a Malankara (Indian) Orthodox qurbana?  (Read 466 times)

Offline Nicholas_83

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Hi. I belong to a Coptic parish and have also attended Ethiopian and Armenian services.  So I'm not unfamiliar with Oriental Orthodox worship. However due to this I am familiar with the rich diversity of our liturgical traditions. This will be in Minnesota, not India by the way.  Can anyone who attends and Indian church or has attended let me in on anything different of which I should be aware? Dress code, customs regarding recieving communion, faux pas to avoud, anything at all really?
I really appreciate it. Unfortunately there email/phone contact are non-responsive (Not just being antsy. Tried a couple times over a few years... but they continue to put up a schedule online)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Hi. I belong to a Coptic parish and have also attended Ethiopian and Armenian services.  So I'm not unfamiliar with Oriental Orthodox worship. However due to this I am familiar with the rich diversity of our liturgical traditions. This will be in Minnesota, not India by the way.  Can anyone who attends and Indian church or has attended let me in on anything different of which I should be aware? Dress code, customs regarding recieving communion, faux pas to avoud, anything at all really?
I really appreciate it. Unfortunately there email/phone contact are non-responsive (Not just being antsy. Tried a couple times over a few years... but they continue to put up a schedule online)

Even when dealing with a regular parish, it can be hard to talk to someone via phone/email, so the situation in MN doesn't seem abnormal, especially considering their circumstances.  If they're putting up a regular schedule of events, I'd say just show up.  :)

Dress code: generally, it's a bit more formal than the average Coptic parish (in my experience), closer to the standard in an Armenian parish.

Communion: the holy mysteries will be administered either from the paten (intincted morsels) or from the chalice (morsels on a spoon).  They are not administered separately as in the Coptic tradition, but there is water to drink afterwards.  Those receiving Communion prepare in part by participating in the general confession/absolution, which usually takes place immediately prior to the Liturgy, but sometimes also right before Communion.  More rarely, you may see Communion offered not at its proper time in the Liturgy, but after the final blessing (i.e., "Depart in peace..."), either for all the people or for latecomers. 

I don't know what I'd recommend avoiding...if you behave in our church the way you behave in yours, you'll probably be fine.  While our liturgical customs differ, Copts and Indians are very similar in all other ways, for better or worse.  If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them. 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Nicholas_83

Mor Ephrem. Thank you. How is the general absolution administered?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
Mor Ephrem. Thank you. How is the general absolution administered?

See this post.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Nicholas_83

Just out of curiosity how long is the typical liturgy? Are electronic keyboards really as prevalent as they seem to be in qurbana videos online? Are there any liturgical differences between the Syriac Indian church and the autocephalous Malankara Orthodox church?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
Just out of curiosity how long is the typical liturgy?

The Liturgy itself can run between 90-120 minutes.

Are electronic keyboards really as prevalent as they seem to be in qurbana videos online?

On the one hand, it's rare in my experience to attend a church in North America that doesn't have and use them.  On the other hand, it is not usually as obnoxious as the videos you find online.  That said, it can be. 

Are there any liturgical differences between the Syriac Indian church and the autocephalous Malankara Orthodox church?

There are some minor differences, but they're not significant.

Offline Nicholas_83

Thanks for all the answers! Oh, in the US is it usually in Syriac, Malayalam, English or some combo?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
Thanks for all the answers! Oh, in the US is it usually in Syriac, Malayalam, English or some combo?

The dominant language will be either Malayalam or English.  Some Syriac may be used for certain invariable parts to a greater or lesser degree.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
May I ask:
Are there differences between services and customs in Knanaya and Nasrani churches?
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
May I ask:
Are there differences between services and customs in Knanaya and Nasrani churches?

"Nasrani" is not a particular group like "Knanaya".

The Knanaya Christians have their own customs, though I'm not sure to what extent they affect the liturgical rites.

Offline Nicholas_83

I look forward to going either way. But curious... Do most commune like in Coptic churches or is it rarer like with Ethiopians?
Also is iconography part of Indian churches?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
I look forward to going either way. But curious... Do most commune like in Coptic churches or is it rarer like with Ethiopians?

It depends, but generally less people commune than in Coptic churches and certainly many more than (what I hear is the norm in) Ethiopian churches.

Also is iconography part of Indian churches?

Depends on what you mean by "part of".  We have images in our churches and homes and we venerate them, but we have not developed quite the cult of icons as exists, for example, among the Eastern Orthodox, and I think that's a good thing.