Author Topic: The Religion 'nones' are the largest group in the US for the first time!  (Read 426 times)

Offline Ray1

• May Justice Prevail.
  • Faith: Atheist
Thirty-four percent of Americans surveyed said they were atheist, agnostic, or “nothing in particular,” according to the American Family Survey released today...Taken together, this makes the unaffiliated the largest religious group in the study, having surpassed Protestants (33%) and Catholics (21%). There was also a smattering of other groups such as Muslims (2%), Jews (2%), Mormons (1%), Orthodox Christians (1%), and Hindus (1%), as well as those who said they were “something else” (4%).

Source: http://religionnews.com/2017/11/16/religious-nones-are-gaining-ground-in-america-and-theyre-worried-about-the-economy-says-new-study/

Offline Ray1

• May Justice Prevail.
  • Faith: Atheist
Basically, Christians make about 55% of the American population if you exclude Mormons and the likes, and if you include them they will make roughly 57%.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
The source she links has no such data and doesn't even mention religious affiliation as a subject of the survey. The survey authors are quoted a saying the survey results (again, no mention of religious affiliation) were consistent with past findings. She doesn't source her graph at all.

It's highly unlikely America became irreligious overnight.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
The source she links has no such data and doesn't even mention religious affiliation as a subject of the survey. The survey authors are quoted a saying the survey results (again, no mention of religious affiliation) were consistent with past findings. She doesn't source her graph at all.

+1
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
Not overnight, but in 3 years, which is still hard to believe.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Thirty-four percent of Americans surveyed said they were atheist, agnostic, or “nothing in particular,” according to the American Family Survey released today...Taken together, this makes the unaffiliated the largest religious group in the study, having surpassed Protestants (33%) and Catholics (21%). There was also a smattering of other groups such as Muslims (2%), Jews (2%), Mormons (1%), Orthodox Christians (1%), and Hindus (1%), as well as those who said they were “something else” (4%).

Source: http://religionnews.com/2017/11/16/religious-nones-are-gaining-ground-in-america-and-theyre-worried-about-the-economy-says-new-study/

Ok, and? "None," does not neccesarily equal "atheistic materialist." For all you know, more of them are New Agers.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Hey, the Eastern Orthodox made it to a chart! :)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
My guess is that a lot of the increase in 'nones' over the past few decades is a result not of changing views, but rather due to an increased acceptance of it as a category. There have always been a lot of people who would claim they were 'Methodist' or 'Catholic' even though they haven't thought more than two seconds about religion in a decade, or who thought of themselves as 'Orthodox' or 'Jewish' mostly out of ethnic rather than religious identity; but this clinging to religious affiliations seems to be changing. If this is so I'd say it (being honest with ourselves) is definitely a good direction to go in.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
My guess is that a lot of the increase in 'nones' over the past few decades is a result not of changing views, but rather due to an increased acceptance of it as a category. There have always been a lot of people who would claim they were 'Methodist' or 'Catholic' even though they haven't thought more than two seconds about religion in a decade, or who thought of themselves as 'Orthodox' or 'Jewish' mostly out of ethnic rather than religious identity; but this clinging to religious affiliations seems to be changing. If this is so I'd say it (being honest with ourselves) is definitely a good direction to go in.

On the other hand, the more intentional among us might now feel freer to gravitate to "niche" religions like Orthodoxy or Kemeticism or Eastern Lightning out of a meer thirst for the exotic as opposed to anything deeper. It was dishonest, but at least Victorian respectability kept us from some different sins. Life is a Catch-22.

</William T impression>
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:50:45 PM by Volnutt »
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite

The news is disturbing and in some sense true, but this reply was like what I was thinking. America's not as bad as Europe or Australia in being anti-religious. Someone in Australia told me they have fourth-generation unchurched people; those are "nones." This survey probably has just given a new name to all the lapsed Catholics and Protestants.

Reminds me of a meme I recently saw, from conservative Lutherans:

"Hi, I'm non-denominational."
"Hi, lying Baptist. I'm Lutheran."

Same stuff, only rebranded.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
Re: The Religion 'nones' are the largest group in the US for the first time!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 02:22:00 AM »
Yeah, if they aren't Baptists at heart, they're Pentecostal.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 02:24:52 AM »
I was surprised that self-identified Buddhists don't even make a percentage point.

Offline ZackShenouda439

• Elder
    • http://www.saintmarkkc.org
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 02:53:02 AM »

I'm surprised muslims are already at 2% according to that poll.
in 2015 muslims were estimated at 1% of the US
and according to pew, they were projected to reach 2.1% by 2050...but 2% in 2017? that's weird.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/01/06/a-new-estimate-of-the-u-s-muslim-population/

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 03:22:39 AM »

I'm surprised muslims are already at 2% according to that poll.
in 2015 muslims were estimated at 1% of the US
and according to pew, they were projected to reach 2.1% by 2050...but 2% in 2017? that's weird.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/01/06/a-new-estimate-of-the-u-s-muslim-population/

Maybe some artificial inflation due to the refugee crisis?

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 03:34:33 AM »
I agree that lying "non-denominationals" are either Baptists or Pentecostals.

Because of the Japanese in Hawaii and the Vietnamese and Cambodians in the mainland U.S. I have a hard time believing Buddhists are zero in this survey. At least 0.5%? My town has a Vietnamese Buddhist house of worship.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 04:04:22 AM »
I agree that lying "non-denominationals" are either Baptists or Pentecostals.

Because of the Japanese in Hawaii and the Vietnamese and Cambodians in the mainland U.S. I have a hard time believing Buddhists are zero in this survey. At least 0.5%? My town has a Vietnamese Buddhist house of worship.

I think the survey was just "less than 1%." Regarding the Japanese, it also depends on whether the survey distinguishes between Buddhism and Shinto (the Japanese themselves inconsistently do so). The Shinto might have fallen under the "4% Other."

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 12:19:29 AM »
+1

Nones are de facto secularized people, even if they also show up in other polls as going to church less than once a month or haunting it on Christmas or Easter, i.e., Chreasters.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 01:07:54 AM »
+1

Nones are de facto secularized people, even if they also show up in other polls as going to church less than once a month or haunting it on Christmas or Easter, i.e., Chreasters.

I also wonder how many nones go to church even more often than that for purely social reasons and when a survey forces them to be more self-reflective, they decide that it really isn't honest to say that they believe all this stuff? I've heard a lot of anecdotes about Anglicans/Episcopalians (including clergy) who seem to be that way.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 01:08:56 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »
Still not seeing any support for this very sketchy report. Again, her linked source in the article says nothing like this, and her chart has no source ("meta-chart.com" is just the software with which she made it).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:11:28 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy