Author Topic: Your Stewardship in Action: For the Life of our Parishes  (Read 321 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Your Stewardship in Action: For the Life of our Parishes
« on: November 16, 2017, 12:54:54 AM »
Your Stewardship in Action: For the Life of our Parishes (OCA)

...Not only should our worship be beautiful, but it can and should be life transforming. Our hymnology helps us to begin such a transformation.

In the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations, we are committed to helping every parish attain an environment such as the one Saint Vladimir’s envoys found in Constantinople.

More than 6,500 pages of music and texts are available on our website for free downloading and use by not just choirs in the Orthodox Church in America, but in choirs all around the globe. We make tutorials and teaching materials available as well.

Perhaps most important for the sustainability of our church music, we are offering an online course for beginning choir directors for the sixth consecutive year. More than 90 people have participated, with many of them now serving as choir directors in parishes throughout the OCA...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:55:10 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Your Stewardship in Action: For the Life of our Parishes
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 12:41:30 PM »
That's pretty awesome.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
Isn't this the jurisdiction that uses classical-music melodies in liturgy?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:02:26 PM »

What do you mean by that? If you mean pieces by composers like Tchaikovsky, Bortniansky, etc then yes, you will see them used in the OCA (as well as in ROCOR, MP, ACROD, UOC). But the bulk of the singing will be standard Russian obikhod/ Kievan chant.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »

and?   at least there is no organ.   

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »

What do you mean by that? If you mean pieces by composers like Tchaikovsky, Bortniansky, etc then yes, you will see them used in the OCA (as well as in ROCOR, MP, ACROD, UOC). But the bulk of the singing will be standard Russian obikhod/ Kievan chant.

I suppose in the American mind, "St. Vladimir's envoys" were just born out of season to be converted by the real jewels of mousikopoiesis.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 04:06:15 PM »

I suppose in the American mind, "St. Vladimir's envoys" were just born out of season to be converted by the real jewels of mousikopoiesis.

Your suppositions tend to lead you down bad alleys. Have a care for yourself and keep up on those breathing exercises.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 04:26:16 PM »

Talking as though you're not one. Your 17 year-old hipster game is as strong as ever.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
You boys have some liturgical tunes you're hoping to sell to the OCA?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »
Friendly warning: knock it off. 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »

Do you mean the melody for Tone 1 troparia? Perhaps best known as the melody for the troparion of the Cross "Save, o God, Your people ..."? Yes, that melody is found in Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. The melody was used liturgically long before Tchaikovsky worked it into his composition. He did so as it symbolized Russia's victory over Napoleon.

The same goes for Rimsky-Korsakov's Russian Easter Overture. The composer incorporated well-known and longstanding liturgical melodies into this work.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 10:48:30 AM »
Well, it's true there are some composers that rely more on Italian or German baroque models than traditional chant. Occasionally these pieces do show up in parish choirs. They are not my favorites. It eludes me, however, exactly what grounds this gives for a GOARCH parishioner to exhibit such smug derision, as some truly wretched compositions can be heard from their choirs.