Author Topic: Amazon is in talks for a Lord Of The Rings TV show  (Read 435 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Amazon is in talks for a Lord Of The Rings TV show
« on: November 04, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »
Amazon is in talks for a Lord Of The Rings TV show

Variety reports that Amazon has entered very early negotiations with Warner Bros. TV and the Tolkien estate—which recently worked out their legal difficulties in a separate settlement—for a possible TV adaptation of the genre-defining classic...

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Amazon is in talks for a Lord Of The Rings TV show
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:01:01 PM »
Amazon is making a ‘Lord of the Rings’ prequel series

Amazon is making a Lord of the Rings TV show, but it isn’t a straight adaptation of the greatest fantasy series of all time — it’s a prequel. The show, which already carries a multi-season commitment, will “explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring.”...

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
I actually would like to see a new treatment of LOTR. The Peter Jackson films are good but not the last word, IMO. But prequels... that's shaky territory. I frankly doubt that many screenwriters are well-read or intelligent enough to produce such material worthy of Tolkien. In the Hobbit trilogy, pretty much all of the dialogue not lifted directly from Tolkien was utterly wretched and dull.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »
I actually would like to see a new treatment of LOTR. The Peter Jackson films are good but not the last word, IMO. But prequels... that's shaky territory. I frankly doubt that many screenwriters are well-read or intelligent enough to produce such material worthy of Tolkien. In the Hobbit trilogy, pretty much all of the dialogue not lifted directly from Tolkien was utterly wretched and dull.

This is assuming the Amazon series won't be a plodding retread of the Jackson-verse. I'm taking for granted it will be something of the sort; that's just the zeitgeist.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »
I actually would like to see a new treatment of LOTR. The Peter Jackson films are good but not the last word, IMO. But prequels... that's shaky territory. I frankly doubt that many screenwriters are well-read or intelligent enough to produce such material worthy of Tolkien.

I can only imagine what happens when they draw from the well of "The Silmarillion."
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »

Plenty of improvements could be made in a new treatment of LotR, I'm sure. I only worry that there is little chance of topping the existing music and art design.

I was fine with the Hobbit being expanded beyond a single film but it really should have been a duology: "There" and "Back Again."
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 05:13:35 PM »
... it really should have been a duology: "There" and "Back Again."

Very nice.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 07:54:38 AM »

I find ridiculous how they managed to make three 3 hour (more or less) movies of one book of 310 pages.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 08:24:01 AM »
What I’d really like to see is a Cirith Ungol sitcom starring Gorbag and Shagrat.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
What I’d really like to see is a Cirith Ungol sitcom starring Gorbag and Shagrat.

And yet I fear what we'll get is a Gotham-style spin-off about how Smeagol became Gollum.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 11:28:43 AM »

And yet I fear what we'll get is a Gotham-style spin-off about how Smeagol became Gollum.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 11:39:13 AM »
Also, 'How I Met Your Mother: The Halfelven Edition'.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »

LOL. Eight seasons of Elrond clumsily dating his way through the races of Middle Earth and deciding to build the Last Homely House far outside The Havens because he just couldn't see raising a family there.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »

LOL. Eight seasons of Elrond clumsily dating his way through the races of Middle Earth and deciding to build the Last Homely House far outside The Havens because he just couldn't see raising a family there.

This will go off script fairly quickly, because can't pass over a chance to have rape on camera.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »

You're on a roll!

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 02:11:55 PM »

This will go off script fairly quickly, because can't pass over a chance to have rape on camera.

I wonder if Christopher Tolkien would be saavy enough to include some kind of "no rape" clause in the rights. I doubt it after some of the weird attempts that have been scripted/spec-ed but not made.

FWIW, I thought Jackson's answer to how the Uruk-hai were made was an elegant enough off-canon answer to, "So, did somebody, like, do an Orc?"

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »
Just in case you were wondering why the rights suddenly went to TV:

Christopher Tolkien, son and literary heir of J.R.R. Tolkien, resigned from the Tolkien Estate. And his departure changes everything.

[...]

The news reached me by friend Michael Martinez via Twitter on his blog. Martinez has an exceptional mind for Tolkien.

He understood perfectly that Christopher R. Tolkien’s departure signals the end of an era.

“With Christopher’s departure as an officer of the Tolkien Estate (which was incorporated in 2011), the long-awaited “rights frenzy” for Tolkien properties may soon begin,” he wrote.

Yes, and it seemingly has already happened. This is a definite piece of the puzzle of the recent news of the Amazon Video deal. I had heard through rock solid, but not reportable sources several years ago that other members of the estate were much more willing to negotiate J.R.R. Tolkien’s properties while Christopher was far more interested in preserving legacy than money.

[...]

The future mentioned in that statement is this week and beyond, and it was obviously in the works then. According to a U.K. government website, Christopher resigned on Aug. 31. One would expect formal resignations of this nature take time to manage legally, so it also was in the works for some time I suspect. What I wouldn’t give to have been in the room for that passing of the torch.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 02:54:25 PM »

I wonder if Christopher Tolkien would be saavy enough to include some kind of "no rape" clause in the rights. I doubt it after some of the weird attempts that have been scripted/spec-ed but not made.

FWIW, I thought Jackson's answer to how the Uruk-hai were made was an elegant enough off-canon answer to, "So, did somebody, like, do an Orc?"

Would be terrible if a adaptation of LOTR become something like GoT with all the rape, incest and prostitution that happens in it.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »

Would be terrible if a adaptation of LOTR become something like GoT with all the rape, incest and prostitution that happens in it.

The difference being that all the rape, incest and prostitution in GOT comes from the source material.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 03:31:54 PM »
I strongly suspect many screenwriters will have a really hard understanding Tolkien's world and worldview. It is really alien to most of what passes for entertainment today. For instance, it will be nigh impossible for them not to read homoeroticism into Frodo and Sam's friendship.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
I strongly suspect many screenwriters will have a really hard understanding Tolkien's world and worldview. It is really alien to most of what passes for entertainment today. For instance, it will be nigh impossible for them not to read homoeroticism into Frodo and Sam's friendship.

Right. I'm not sure many people can adapt a parable about modernity a century after it was first inspired and not read it through the lenses of their own post-post-modern experiences.

There's some hope, though. My oldest is reading "The Hobbit" for school, and their discussion material included a lot about how WWI shaped Tolkien. So, at least in a funky online school in Arkansas, there's someone looking beyond how being an unexpected dinner guest might have made Gloin feel.