Author Topic: Harriet Tubman’s Canadian church seeks help for repairs  (Read 235 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Harriet Tubman’s Canadian church seeks help for repairs
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:55:19 AM »
(RNS) — A century and a half ago, a new Canadian church gave fleeing slaves a place to worship. Now the sanctuary that welcomed Underground Railroad conductor Harriet Tubman and other escapees needs help itself
Rochelle Bush, one of the 11 remaining members who launched the campaign, is the great-great-great-granddaughter of the Rev. James Harper, who was the minister in charge of the congregation when Tubman attended and when it changed its affiliation from the African Methodist Episcopal Church to BME.

“We became British Methodist Episcopal in 1856 because nobody wanted to go back for conference (in the United States) because of the fugitive slave laws,” Bush said, adding that about 10 churches in Ontario remain British Methodist Episcopal and consider the AME Church their parent organization.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:56:39 AM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Harriet Tubman’s Canadian church seeks help for repairs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 07:57:47 AM »
I hope they find somebody to give!
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »
^Same here, just not me.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Saxon

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:16:17 AM »
I literally live across the street from this church. I see very few parishioners attending Sunday services. Visitors mostly seem to be school children on field trips and elderly (largely black) day-trippers midweek. It is a de-facto museum at it is, and that's probably its future.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 06:11:58 AM »
I literally live across the street from this church. I see very few parishioners attending Sunday services. Visitors mostly seem to be school children on field trips and elderly (largely black) day-trippers midweek. It is a de-facto museum at it is, and that's probably its future.

:(

Depressing.   Christianity was the faith that energized the heroes of the Underground Railroad.  It was its "third rail," the source of motive power that kept heroic conductors like Harriet Tubman going in the face of terrible danger.  It would be a pity to see the Christian aspect of the Underground Railroad be de-emphasized even more than it already has been.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.