Author Topic: Resources for Koine Greek?  (Read 254 times)

Offline Isaiah53IsMessiah

• Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Latin Church
Resources for Koine Greek?
« on: November 04, 2017, 01:08:05 AM »
My Biblical Greek is pretty bad, I can only understand basic stuff and maybe I can write out some basic stuff too, and I do have an idea of the grammar, but I'm still really bad. I find myself tripping over a lot especially when reading St. Paul and his use of big words. I also find that St. Luke does that too. St. John's works are the easiest to understand. Any resources that can help me learn faster and help me better understand?
"God can be proved in five ways." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
Re: Resources for Koine Greek?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 01:58:51 AM »
Rodney J. Decker, Reading Koine Greek: An introduction and integrated workbook is a textbook that gives very clear grammatical explanations and extensive definitions of vocabulary to be learned. It uses brief passages from the NT, Septuagint, Apostolic Fathers and other Koine writings for analysis and reading. But you need a NT Greek dictionary to work through it as not all of the vocabulary is glossed in the book itself.

Decker also has an intermediate Koine Greek Reader: Selections from the New Testament, Septuagint,and Early Christian Writers that has very helpful notes.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:21:28 AM »
The most difficult vocabulary comes from the Catholic Epistles, I find.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 02:25:10 PM »
I'd strongly recommend you start with a classical (Attic) Greek course. The "koine" courses tend to be highly simplified and Protestant-ized. Then you can read Hellenic Greek fairly well, consulting a "New Testament Greek" resource as necessary. My favorite is Greek: An Intensive Course. It does cover a little Homeric and Hellenic usage.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 12:22:46 AM »
I like "Learn New Testament Greek", by John Dobson. POD's recommendation is really good if you ambition to acquire a high level with time and dedication. My first tries at Greek were merely to check stuff on interlinear texts when I doubted something on the translations, so going through that step wasn't interesting for my own projects, but I would have grasped it much deeper if I had gone through Classical Greek first. Now I need it for classical philosophy and also to see more layers on the NT and liturgical texts.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)