Author Topic: 2 new Coptic dioceses in the US, 1 in Europe, & other Coptic ordinations Nov 11  (Read 734 times)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
According to Coptic news media, Watani, HH Pope Tawadros will ordain the following:

+Abouna Seraphim al-Souriani (who was one of the five candidates for the papacy) as bishop of the new diocese of Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana
+Bishop Karas (presently general bishop in NJ) as bishop of the new diocese of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware
+2 monks from St. Shenoute's Monastery in Milan to be general bishops in Europe, one in the new "mid-Europe" diocese and one for Milan and Italy
+Bishop Angaelos, general bishop of London, will be ordained diocesan bishop of London
+Bishop Mark, general bishop of Paris, will be ordained diocesan bishop of Paris and Northern France
+Abouna Pigol of Al-Muhurraq Monastery will be bishop abbott of the same monastery

As a side note, being someone from NJ, this means that the Archdiocese of North America situated in NJ will be replaced with someone else since Bishop Karas is leaving.  The general rumorville is that Bishop Angelos of Northern Shubra will be that general bishop for North America in NJ.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Glory to God!
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Glory to God!

As a side note, being someone from NJ, this means that the Archdiocese of North America situated in NJ will be replaced with someone else since Bishop Karas is leaving.  The general rumorville is that Bishop Angelos of Northern Shubra will be that general bishop for North America in NJ.
I thought you guys never moved bishops.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
BTW, is there any difference between a general bishop and a diocesan one beside the formality of a diocese? Is this splitting present in other Orthodox churches? It seems to be a completely different thing from a titular bishop, but maybe it's related to the idea of a vicar bishop?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Thanks be to God.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
BTW, is there any difference between a general bishop and a diocesan one beside the formality of a diocese? Is this splitting present in other Orthodox churches? It seems to be a completely different thing from a titular bishop, but maybe it's related to the idea of a vicar bishop?

So a general Bishop is one ordained for no particular diocese, and is under the leadership of a Pope or Metropolitan.  Only general bishops can be “moved”.  The Coptic Church has no titular bishops, but general bishops can be comparable to titular ones by function.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:56:43 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Axios!

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
It should be noted, just as a matter of fact, that the General Bishop is a recent innovation, and hopefully we will return to a more traditional ecclesiology where a bishop is indeed the father of actual communities of Orthodox Christians in an Ignatian sense.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Glory be to God!
What is the rite for changing a general bishop to a diocesan one? Is it only an enthroment, or something more?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:35:21 PM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Glory be to God!
What is the rite for changing a general bishop to a diocesan one? Is it only an enthroment, or something more?

So from what I have seen, a general bishop will go through a full prayer rite any monk priest would, with full assignment of his diocese.  So this will be the second time a general bishop will go through the bishop rites with the addition of his diocesan assignment.

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
If he is assigned a Diocese then he should be a Bishop, but I know that some/many General Bishops are assigned to a service and not a geographical area.

I hope that HH will continue to make General Bishops into Diocesan Bishops and not create more. Whatever the perceived problem, they are not the answer.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Given that the Pope himself was a general bishop and has expressed his desire to ordain more general bishops for various services, I remain pessimistic of the hope that we will limit general bishops.

So, I don't know.  Seeing that the Coptic Church is the only Church that takes these laws seriously, the loophole of a "general bishop" created by Pope St. Kyrillos and Pope Shenouda is going to be very difficult to remove.  It might be necessary that we need to choose our battles for other issues that could be more vexing at the moment.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
It might be necessary that we need to choose our battles for other issues that could be more vexing at the moment.

In that vein, let us pray that whatever bishop is assigned to take care of the unincorporated territory is both strong of character and a conservative, for it is exclusively in this largely unregulated area - inclusive of the GTA, NJ, DC, VA, etc, - that CCM has become prevalent, in some parishes even in the Liturgy.  Areas with enthroned bishops are free of this plague.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:25:18 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
+1

Just an update, here is an actual list provided by Fr. Abraham Azmy, US media representative of official Coptic Synodal statements:

November 11-12, 2017, in the Monastery of St. Bishoy, Wadi El-natroun, according to Coptic Orthodox Holy Synod Secretariat

Enthronement of:
1- HG Bishop Angealos (General Bishop of Stevenage), as Bishop of London, UK
2- HG Bishop Karas (General Bishop in Archdiocese of NA), as Bishop of Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and West Virginia, USA
3- HG Bishop Mark, as Bishop of Paris and North France

Ordination of:
1- Hegumen Fr. Pigoul El-muharraqi, as Bishop and Abbot of St. Mary’s Monastery (El-muharraq)
2- Hegumen Fr. Antonio Avva Shenouti, as Bishop of Milan, Italy
3- Hegumen Fr. Seraphim El-soriany, as Bishop of Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana, USA
4- Hegumen Fr. Jeovonni Avva Shenouti, as Bishop of Hungary and its affiliated regions of Romania, the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Poland (Central Europe)

It seems to me all will be diocesan bishops in this official statement.  No indication anyone will be general bishops.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches

So a general Bishop is one ordained for no particular diocese, and is under the leadership of a Pope or Metropolitan.  Only general bishops can be “moved”.  The Coptic Church has no titular bishops, but general bishops can be comparable to titular ones by function.

For accuracy's sake, titular sees of the Coptic Church are also given to those who already are diocesan bishops.  It's not given to general bishops.  For example, Metropolitan Bakhomious of Damanhor and Beheira is also the titular bishop of all of Pentapolis.  No general bishop in the Coptic Church has titular sees, unlike other churches that do engage in the practice of ordaining titular bishops.  But the function is practically the same, whether its auxiliary to a metropolitan or patriarch or for a particular service of the Church in a wider context, for example ecumenical affairs.

Offline Remnkemi

• Elder
Glory be to God!

So from what I have seen, a general bishop will go through a full prayer rite any monk priest would, with full assignment of his diocese.  So this will be the second time a general bishop will go through the bishop rites with the addition of his diocesan assignment.
Correction Mina. There is an enthronement rite that has been modified for the general bishop. It is quite long (actually should take more than a week) and it mostly in Greek. We borrowed a lot of text from the Byzantine Church on this one. Because of the length of the rite, only one section is done (the procession and one of the gospels. Then the diocesean assignment letter is signed (which is in the enthronement rite). Then there is a liturgy the next day.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
+1

Thanks for the correction  :)

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
It doesn't seem a good development to make General Bishops with diocesan responsibilities, and the idea that there should be an engagement period with a diocese as a General bishop before being made a Diocesan seems very harmful to our ecclesiology.

Offline Nicholas_83

Just to verify; is Minnesota still not in a diocese?

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
It seems that way.  Minnesota did not make the cut  :P

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
I am glad that soon all of the churches in the UK will be under a Diocesan Bishop, as our ecclesiology demands.

• Taxiarches
I am glad that soon all of the churches in the UK will be under a Diocesan Bishop, as our ecclesiology demands.

I pray that will eventually be the case in the USA and Canada as well.  Here, the unincorporated territories provide cover for heterodoxy and heteropraxis to fester.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
The Vespers of the Ordination has just been posted on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/aGzkxBGm-5c

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

After one hour: bishop Giovanni of Eastern Europe, including Bolanda, that's Poland ;)

Edit: that's funny that in the case of this service the word "zaffe" (زفة) is used, the same as for the entrance of the bride and the groom on the wedding in the Middle Eastern tradtion ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:26:31 AM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Oh yes, in both cases, zaffe=procession.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches

And here’s the full liturgy of the ordination of the monks who became bishops, (rather than the general bishops):
https://youtu.be/3kkRjCqzttw

Going by a previous question, I was curious and watched some older videos.  What is striking in this video is that there are only four men, whereas vespers had seven men.  The explanation is that the general bishops do not receive laying of hands since they were already bishops, and already received laying of hands when they were ordained as general bishops in the past.  They just receive some sort of promotional prayers in vespers to be diocesan bishops and that’s it for them.  But for those who were not bishops, the liturgical prayers over them become necessary to complete the ordination that began in vespers.  So there you go.  That’s the difference.

An example of laying on of hands to ordain a diocesan bishop and two general bishops (one of which is prayed over in English because he is the first American born and raised Coptic bishop around the 30th minute):

https://youtu.be/bTZPGJhHky8

And just for fun, in the spirit of Isa’s map collecting, I colored a map for the Coptic dioceses in the United States:

https://ibb.co/jqw6dG
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:45:32 PM by minasoliman »

• Taxiarches
Looking at VA and NJ on that map really made me sad.  :'(

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

And here’s the full liturgy of the ordination of the monks who became bishops, (rather than the general bishops):

Going by a previous question, I was curious and watched some older videos.  What is striking in this video is that there are only four men, whereas vespers had seven men.  The explanation is that the general bishops do not receive laying of hands since they were already bishops, and already received laying of hands when they were ordained as general bishops in the past.  They just receive some sort of promotional prayers in vespers to be diocesan bishops and that’s it for them.  But for those who were not bishops, the liturgical prayers over them become necessary to complete the ordination that began in vespers.  So there you go.  That’s the difference.
Thank you for all these explanations. The Vesper part, very similar to the Coptic one (but always with only one candidate to bishopric) exists in the byzantine rite; in Church Slavonic it's called наречение во епископа (calling into bishopric). The actual difference is that it doesn't apply to vicar bishop changing the place or becoming the diocesan bishop (in such situation only enthronement takes place).

An example of laying on of hands to ordain a diocesan bishop and two general bishops (one of which is prayed over in English because he is the first American born and raised Coptic bishop around the 30th minute):

Amazing! In some way that's joyous as I think that such bishop will understand better his flock, but on the other hand it's sad - massive leaving of Copts their native land, Egypt, over so long time, that the situation is so mature, that there was a candidate being born and raised in another country to become bishop of his native Church.

Offline Nicholas_83

Thank you for all these explanations. The Vesper part, very similar to the Coptic one (but always with only one candidate to bishopric) exists in the byzantine rite; in Church Slavonic it's called наречение во епископа (calling into bishopric). The actual difference is that it doesn't apply to vicar bishop changing the place or becoming the diocesan bishop (in such situation only enthronement takes place).

Amazing! In some way that's joyous as I think that such bishop will understand better his flock, but on the other hand it's sad - massive leaving of Copts their native land, Egypt, over so long time, that the situation is so mature, that there was a candidate being born and raised in another country to become bishop of his native Church.
While of course I agree the situation in Egypt is tragic there is another potential positive. I would think when Bishops are born in the country they serve they not understand their flock better, but that understanding may help to bring more into the fold of Orthodoxy. .. Including those outside the traditional ethnic group. America needs Orthodoxy so I pray this will be true.

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
I think it is very positive that we will have a bishop of a place in the UK, which seems to me to be saying - this is where we belong. And with the increasing numbers of priests and the first bishops, born in the West but committed to the spiritual Tradition of Alexandria, we are getting better placed to fulfill our mission to the world where God places us. The time will come, in an organic manner, when the majority of congregational members in the West will be Western or 2nd and 3rd generation born in the West.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Congratulations for the UK Abouna!  You truly have someone who is Axios for the service.  May your mission and the mission of your fellow priests grow under the guidance of the now 3 bishops of the UK.

• Taxiarches
Let's pray that the heretical Alpha Course of Nicky Gumbel will now fall by the wayside as it pertains to the education of Coptic Orthodox Christians in the UK.