Author Topic: We need ministries for acts of mercy – help identify them  (Read 414 times)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
We need ministries for acts of mercy – help identify them
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:13:14 AM »
Parishes and Orthodox Christian groups should engage in the sort of ministry called “Acts of Mercy” or “Works of Mercy.” Often in English we call this sort of ministry “alms-giving,” but alms-giving is only one sort of Act of Mercy.

Activities that identify with the other and love others (the poor most of all) as Christ does. And they do so in an undeniable and honest way.

This is part of the practice that Christ revealed to be the reigning order of his coming Kingdom. Acts of Mercy are one of the three pillars of asceticism in the Sermon on the Mount: Prayer, fasting, and Acts of Mercy. And they are manifestations of the weightier matters of the Law: Justice, mercy, and faithfulness. And St. James says that, if we don’t do Acts of Mercy, then the blessings we offer in their place don’t profit anything.

It’s true that our personal energies are limited and we can only do so many things at once. And we aren’t going to give up liturgy, choir practice, or awkward theological house parties. But Acts of Mercy should be at least as important as these and should be taken up among them.

It’s also true that all just ministries are Acts of Mercy in a sense. But I would say that Acts of Mercy “proper” are those acts where we most identify with the other in an undeniable and honest way, often through tangible loss. They can also be a form of outward ministry, whereas ministries like liturgical service are more insider. If these attempts at distinction strike you as flimsy, then think of it this way: We (Americans or whoever) have been forgetting a few acts of mercy more than others, and that’s just the group of acts we’re talking about, here.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:18:55 AM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Re: We need ministries for acts of mercy – help identify them
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:14:13 AM »
I would like help identifying these sorts of acts of mercy ministries.

Asteriktos has made a great thread identifying specific Orthodox programs that exist, and Agabus made one about a specific sort. I think it would also be helpful to identify all the sorts of Acts of Mercy ministries there are or might be. This would help us know what to look for, join, or create.

Many of these ministries involve either feeding, clothing, housing, treating, ransoming, judging for, or honoring other people, including enemies and strangers, where and when this is needed.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:18:08 AM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:22:24 AM »
Well, churches (of any denom) that can should all be hosting AA and other recovery meetings. Soup kitchens are important, too.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 04:54:22 AM »
Parishoners or staff who have cars could volunteer to drive elderly and infirm members of the congregation to services, doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, etc.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 05:26:23 AM »
One might be if someone with auto mechanic experience could be consulted in cases where someone thinks they're getting ripped off. Like elderly mrs. Smith is being told it'll cost $1200 to replace her snizel calibrator, and they say it costs so much because it's hidden behind the tinkerbinker manifold assembly. So the mechanic could point out that there isn't something called a snizel calibrator and she should never go there again.

Lawyers could also do some consulting, and even make a phone call or two if helpful (e.g., in getting callously aggressive debt collectors off someone's back)

Doctors and nurses possibly providing some level of public health clinic style help, or at least some help for parishioners; this seems like it could be one of the most helpful, though probably also one of the most expensive to get up and running, and also maybe tangled up in all sorts of stuff involving legal requirements, health insurance, and malpractice insurance?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 05:29:59 AM »
The Catholics around here (not sure who exactly) sometimes help people financially with things like rent when they're having trouble making ends meet. I don't think this is a much-publicized ministry, lest they get inundated with way more people than they can possibly help, but it does exist.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 05:31:22 AM »
I'd like to know if churches (Orthodox or not) have ever tried creating debt relief funds for the most vulnerable parishioners or members of the community. And also how they addressed the thorny question of how to determine who gets it first. An ecclesiastic version of the Rolling Jubilee.

I also think churches should strongly consider supporting the National Bail Out.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
One obvious ministry is the Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry.

They visit prisoners, provide spiritual catechesis, books, icons, etc.,  and in some instances have helped in the process of getting prisoners tonsured — turning prison cells into monastic cells, as it were.

They also have programs for clergy and laity who want to do local prison ministry, and social reintegration programs for those leaving the prison system.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
I'd like to know if churches (Orthodox or not) have ever tried creating debt relief funds for the most vulnerable parishioners or members of the community. And also how they addressed the thorny question of how to determine who gets it first. An ecclesiastic version of the Rolling Jubilee.

I also think churches should strongly consider supporting the National Bail Out.

+1
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 10:15:15 PM »
One obvious ministry is the Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry.

They visit prisoners, provide spiritual catechesis, books, icons, etc.,  and in some instances have helped in the process of getting prisoners tonsured — turning prison cells into monastic cells, as it were.

They also have programs for clergy and laity who want to do local prison ministry, and social reintegration programs for those leaving the prison system.

Aye, I think that is a very good ministry.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 10:19:25 PM »
I've considered joining or attempting to join Gideons, in that their constitution excludes Roman Catholics, but I might be able to slip in with the whole "we're the oldest Protestants" argument.  Their KJVs lack the Apocrypha, but the KJV is still a very good Bible, and I myself in Ghana was greatly helped by a Gideon's Bible in my guesthouse when homesick at night.  It was actually an NIV study bible, very different from the Bibles issued here, but much of the reading of the Bible I have done in my life, many books I first read and familiarized myself with then, for example, Ecclesiastes, the Song of Solomon, and also the distinctions between the four canonical Gospels.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 04:16:06 AM »
- Dupe -
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:16:23 AM by Alpha60 »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »
I wonder if half the battle with stuff like this is just letting the local parish priest know that you have skill X and would be open to helping (or at least considering it) if such skills are needed. So if an immigrant is having problems getting certain necessary legal/governmental paperwork done due to language issues, and a person has already told the priest that they could help with Serbian, then the priest could contact them and ask if they were available, without worrying that they're putting them on the spot or being out of line. This could be extended to a great vareity of skills or abilities, blue or white collar.

Offline maneki_neko

• Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 01:18:03 AM »
I don't know if this is something that others could benefit from copying, but at our parish and in our town we have a fair amount of active duty/retirees. There recently opened a veteran's transition center close to us (it takes in homeless vets and helps get them on their feet). We have decided to make the focus of Veteran's Day to help out the center and for the weeks leading up to it host a food drive for their pantry.

I'm sure something similar could be done with other shelters in one's local area. It would be nice to tie it in with a specific saint's feast day that correlates with the kind of shelter/food pantry.
主哀れめよ!

Offline arnI

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 07:18:35 AM »
I have found that volunteering as dinner server at a shelter helps me understand the plight of others. I am less quick to judge and hope to better myself. The service to the less fortunate teaches me of the frail human condition. Unexpectedly, I have met a few Orthodox.
Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother