Author Topic: Homebound/Distancebound ministries  (Read 545 times)

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
Homebound/Distancebound ministries
« on: October 26, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
In the last year, I've seen numerous discussions online from laypeople who themselves or know of people who would like to have some kind of minimal participation in the life of the Church (e.g., anointing, confession, Eucharist) but are not able to because they are bound by distance, circumstance or a combination of both. (I have felt a combination of both in my own life in the past year.) In some cases discussed, the people in question couldn't leave their homes and had even found themselves begging anyone to get a priest to come to see them, but because of geography weren't able to.

While I'm still inclined to tell someone who says, "I have to drive 30 minutes across town to get to church!" to just deal with it, I don't think it's really fair to tell those who want the Gospel that they have to come find it 80 miles from home.

At the same time, I don't know that it would be fair to just demand every priest out there run out to every person in the boondocks every or even every month. The need is too great and the workers too few.

Which is what I want to get at: While I don't think the Byzantine Rite could really develop something akin to the Roman Rite's extraordinary minister system, I think we could do something to better reach out to those who can't step within the physical nave.

Is there some kind of ministry your parish does or that you know of that seeks to address these issues?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:41:53 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Homebound/Distancebound ministries
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »
My first parish would record every liturgy so that shut-ins could stream it. The priest of course would make visits regularly. How well this satisfied people's needs I couldn't say, since I didn't know anybody involved.

Maybe OC.net is coffee hour for introverts? In which case I should definitely be a lot nicer here...
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »
http://boldgoldradionepa.com/94-3-the-talker-nepa-conservative-talk-radio/
The Divine Liturgy is broadcast live every Sunday morning on a local radio station in my area that I have linked above. It is a conservative, talk radio station but I am not posting this for that, just scroll down on the main page for the Sunday AM schedule.
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 04:28:23 PM »
My first parish would record every liturgy so that shut-ins could stream it. The priest of course would make visits regularly. How well this satisfied people's needs I couldn't say, since I didn't know anybody involved.

Maybe OC.net is coffee hour for introverts? In which case I should definitely be a lot nicer here...

I am a big fan of recording the liturgy and uploading it to youtube, every Sunday, not just for shut ins, but also for outreach.

In Santa Barbara, there is a group of 8 or so elderly Serbian Orthodox who usually go to ROCOR, or meet in one of their own houses, but occasionally, a priest comes to see them and serve the liturgy.

I like the idea of micro-churches formed from groups like this, as satellites of major parishes, which could in turn, God willing, become mission parishes.  The only problem with this I can forsee is the priest shortage in several of our denominations.

The Latin Rite of the Catholic Church is able to serve so many masses for small groups in diverse locales and odd hours in part due to a large number of retired diocesan clergy who still retain the obligation to say mass and the divine office daily as their health permits.  The main tragic shortage is usually of new vocations.

I don't think OCNet is fit for purpose as a coffee hour given our robust debating culture, but we are mostly very good people, and I think we could, as a community, have a forum on OCNet which would be more of a coffee hour type of friendship and fellowship oriented forum.  This might include opportunities for group prayer and video chat using FaceTime and social media based live streaming.

As an amusing aside, a Methodist pastor who I greatly dislike, for doctrinal reasons, once seriously proposed using drones to deliver the Eucharist to shut-ins, like Amazon packages.  This and other similiar views are the basis for my intense lack of appreciation for his ministry.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
I am all for recording liturgies, but is there anything that can be done for in-person interactions? Like, developing some kind of lay chaplaincy for people who would like to help those withering in the wilderness but who don't have a full calling to orders?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »
In Poland there is a good, developed system of the Orthodox chaplains: militants, for prisoners, for elder people, for disabeld people. They visit these peopel to talk with them, offer short service like molebien, hear confession and give Eucharist. Actually, parish priest also do it if it's necessary.

I think that for people living far from any church or preist tehre are 2 basic things: broadcasts of the services and try serving typika with blessing of a priest; maybe there is anotehr Orthodox person or family lviing in the area? If so, it's always easier to serve typika.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »
In Poland there is a good, developed system of the Orthodox chaplains: militants, for prisoners, for elder people, for disabeld people. They visit these peopel to talk with them, offer short service like molebien, hear confession and give Eucharist. Actually, parish priest also do it if it's necessary.

I think that for people living far from any church or preist tehre are 2 basic things: broadcasts of the services and try serving typika with blessing of a priest; maybe there is anotehr Orthodox person or family lviing in the area? If so, it's always easier to serve typika.

That's related to a thought I had. Is it possible for priests or readers to come do some truncated version of the service in somebody's house?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:21:06 PM by Volnutt »
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 07:16:37 PM »

That's related to a thought I had. Is it possible for priests or readers to come do some truncated version of the service in somebody's house?

Reader's Typica is pretty truncated compared to the liturgy, especially if you don't pray it with the preceding hours.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:17:05 PM by Agabus »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »
Ah. Ok.

Maybe there should be Readers who visit people's homes to serve one, then.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 11:47:22 PM »
I've seen people get out of their own states to receive sacraments, as large as Brazil is and as much as the demand for Orthodoxy has grown here over the last few years. Once or twice it even resulted on a mission inside the fold of the Polish Orthodox Church. Archpriest Bento has estabilished a mission in Belo Horizonte (440km from Rio) among a couple of guys who heard about the faith online. A friend of mine from Belém (a 4 hour flight away) will be chrismated in the Russian Orthodox Church in Rio. I believe there's a parish "only" some 800km away from him, but he wished to be catechised by a Rio priest.

I believe nothing is impossible to those who have faith and really feel the calling of the Holy Spirit to the Church. Philip Ludwell III lived as an Orthodox Christian centuries before internet in a continent without a single parish. Using a Roman Catholic example, the Kakure Kirishitan lived a priestless Roman Catholic life among persecution for centuries in Japan.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 02:46:47 AM »
I've seen people get out of their own states to receive sacraments, as large as Brazil is and as much as the demand for Orthodoxy has grown here over the last few years. Once or twice it even resulted on a mission inside the fold of the Polish Orthodox Church. Archpriest Bento has estabilished a mission in Belo Horizonte (440km from Rio) among a couple of guys who heard about the faith online. A friend of mine from Belém (a 4 hour flight away) will be chrismated in the Russian Orthodox Church in Rio. I believe there's a parish "only" some 800km away from him, but he wished to be catechised by a Rio priest.

I believe nothing is impossible to those who have faith and really feel the calling of the Holy Spirit to the Church. Philip Ludwell III lived as an Orthodox Christian centuries before internet in a continent without a single parish. Using a Roman Catholic example, the Kakure Kirishitan lived a priestless Roman Catholic life among persecution for centuries in Japan.

This is all true (and good!), but it's not exactly "Go ye therefore..."

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
True. The internet undoubtedly favours mission, but a parish in town will never be dispensable.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
All I have to do is be able to pay for gas.
Learn meditation.