Author Topic: Orthodox Missions Around the World  (Read 782 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Orthodox Missions Around the World
« on: October 24, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »
A place for posting info about various missions and missionaries around the world. I'd think this primarily would have to do with evangelism being done in locations that have no previous organized and persistent Orthodox presence, but if you want to post about that cool new mission in a suburb of Chicago go ahead.

Not everyone would necessarily get the same thing out of the thread. Some possibilities: being inspired to donate or support missions; learning about and having a greater appreciation for the work being done; or getting ideas for things that could be helpful in the local area of the user.

What it's not meant to be: promoting a particular jurisdiction to the detriment of perceived 'rivals' in an area; or gawking at other cultures because 'gee whiz so exotic!'

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Orthodox Missions Around the World
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »
Project Mexico and St. Innocent Orphanage (Youtube)

A pan-Orthodox effort for nearly 30 years, currently helping 22 orphans and looking to expand their capacity to 30. Some info from the website:

"St. Innocent Orphanage is not a foster care facility, so when we accept one of these special boys into our home, we do so with the knowledge that they will be with us until they are grown men. Because of the substantial number of orphaned children in Mexico, the inadequate state and capacity of municipal and city orphanages, and the need to prioritize available resources for the care of younger children, these adolescent and teenage boys become marginalized and are left to care for themselves on the streets. If not for the existence of St. Innocent Orphanage, these boys would eventually be drawn into a violent life of drug trafficking, prostitution and other criminal activity."

Besides the obvious (food and shelter) they "seek to integrate the Orthodox faith into most aspects of the boys’ daily lives," support schooling, and provide opportunities for positive social interaction and various activities.

Because of the need to maintain a stable and consistent living space, among other reasons, in general they don't accept 'visiting' and temporary help. There seems to be exceptions here and there though, as there is a 'Home Building' project in 2018 that they need help with. Apart from that there are opportunities on the site to support them financially through a U.S.-based non-profit, with both a general and also project-specific or person-specific types. Financial data (for transparency) is disclosed on the website.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:58:23 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
Sometimes you have to go further than before to find Orthodox.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • The BEST Rothschild
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:40:55 PM »
These people seems like they're doing good work with the poor of Toronto. https://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/parables
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 12:36:58 AM »
Archeparchy of Rio de Janeiro and Olinda-Recife

The mission started with a group of 9 Brazilians from a religious studies group who went to an Old Calendarist monastery in Portugal (under Metropolitan Gabriel of Lisbon) and came back as two priests and two subdeacons, who subsequently returned, started two churches and immediately baptised over thirty people. Metropolitan Gabriel joined the Polish Orthodox Church in 1989, consecrating the local Archimandrite Chrysostom a bishop for Brazil in 1991 (today he's an archbishop). Metropolitan Gabriel reposed in 1997, being replaced by Metropolitan John, who consecrated Bishop Ambrose in the following year. In 2000, Metropolitan John was excommunicated, some parishes in northeastern Brazil joined the Serbian Orthodox Church (still on operation and active mission), but both Brazilian hierarchs remained in the PAOC. I'm not sure about our updated numbers, but I can reckon at least six churches (one of them functioning as a monastery) across the country, here in Rio being three active churches, a bishop, five active priests, two or three subdeacons, and one nun.

Our hierarchs celebrating in a humble parish in the Northeast:

Bishop Ambrose and Archimandrite Jerome:

Rio Priests united in Pascha, there were better pictures, but I have no idea where they ended up:

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »
Orthodox Christian Mission Center ( OCMC ):

https://www.ocmc.org/

OCMC - Make Disciples of All Nations AboutResourcesGet InvolvedSubscribeContact the OCMC OCMC on Facebook OCMC on Twitter OCMC on Google Plus
OCMC MissionariesOrthodox Mission TeamsRaise AwarenessSupport Missions
Support Orthodox Seminaries!
 Celebrating 30 Years of Orthodox Missions

Watch the OCMC video - Embark on a Journey of Faith

Metropolitan Tikhon welcomes OCMC representatives to OCA Chancery   Metropolitan Tikhon welcomes OCMC representatives to OCA Chancery

His Beatitude, Metropolitan Tikhon hosted representatives of the Orthodox Christian Mission Center [OCMC] at the Chancery of the Orthodox Church in America here on Friday, October 20, 2017.Meeting with Metropolitan Tikhon were Father Martin Ritsi, OCMC Executive Director, and Protonica Michelle Jannakos, Development Officer.Father Martin briefed Metropolitan Tikhon on the current work of OCMC and shared some its new initiatives, especially in the Center's initiation of...

MORE   
by Orthodox Church in America (Posted 10/24/2017)
First Eventful Months in Guatemala   First Eventful Months in Guatemala

Greetings from Guatemala!"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." ~Psalm 117:24Nestled in the western highlands of Guatemala, I awake to the sounds of roosters announcing the coming day. I rise to join the seminarians and fellow long-term missionaries to offer our daily morning prayers with Matins. It is here in Aguacate that I draw on my seminary education and love of singing the hymns of the Church to mentor the parish choir...

MORE   
by Jennifer Rice (Posted 9/19/2017)
Help Grow the Orthodox Church   Help Grow the Orthodox Church's Witness Across Asia with a Gift to the OCMC

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,Indonesia is home to nearly 260 million people. Over 90% are non-Christian. The Orthodox presence in Indonesia is very small, but you can change this! In Medan, the Church has established a hospital. Named for the Theotokos, it serves those who would not otherwise have access to healthcare. Each year this facility saves lives in the name of Christ. Can you imagine a witness more powerful than this? With...

MORE   
by Orthodox Christian Mission Center (Posted 7/20/2017)
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 09:45:01 AM »
Saint Barnabas Orthodox Orphanage & School, in Kenya:

http://orthodoxmissionkenya.org/
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »
St. Nicholas began his mission in Japan in 1861 and continued it for 50 years. According to this article (linked to by Orthodoxwiki), as of 2008: "the Japanese Orthodox Church had 2 bishops, 23 priests, 12 deacons. There are 67 parishes and 9958 registered members of parochial communities," though "The latter number covers only those who regularly participates in sacraments and make donations. This data does not include those who come to pray to Japanese Orthodox churches as their number is much bigger." The church is currently headed by Archbp. Daniel (Nushiro) in Tokyo.

Exterior of Holy Resurrection Cathedral in Tokyo (originally built in 1891)

Interior of Holy Resurrection Cathedral

- video taken of the exterior of the Holy Resurrection Cathedral
- video from a service
- video from a service in The Cathedral of the Annunciation in Kyoto

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »
Orthodoxy in Alaska
The OCA Diocese of Alaska currently maintains St. Herman's Seminary (Kodiak), some 100 churches, chapels and missions served by 35 priests and 11 deacons, covering an area of 586,000 square miles. The Seminary and many churches are in great disrepair. Today, we find the results of decades of aggressive assimilation policies, war, welfare and misdirected education efforts have left Alaska our number one state for substance abuse (alcoholism), suicide and violence. (Source)

Diocese of Alaska
Alaskan Orthodox texts
Outreach Alaska
Russian Orthodox sacred sites in Alaska

St. Michael's Cathedral (Sitka, AK)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 02:17:38 PM »
“Welfare”?

Bishop David baptized me when he was a priest. Many years to him.
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 03:17:36 PM »
Bishop David baptized me when he was a priest.

If he accomplishes nothing else in his ministry, he has done such good for the Church.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • The BEST Rothschild
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 08:14:50 PM »
Bishop David baptized me when he was a priest.

If he accomplishes nothing else in his ministry, he has done such good for the Church.

Can you feel the love toniiiiiight?
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline peacenprayer

• Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »
I spent a year a St John the Compassionate Mission in Toronto. Its an apostolate mission working with the poor, not place trying to make converts. I can't put into words the beauty of the life there. Like the church itself, you have to experiance it and live the life to get it.
Wonderful, caring people!

http://stjohnsmission.org
"...I'm just a simple dude."
~Finn the Human

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »
"The missionary activity of the Holy Metropolis of Cameroon began in 1980 when she was invited to missionary activism in Extreme Nord, north of the country, and in villages completely abandoned by other Christian confessions. (It is important for the history of Cameroon to clarify that the Roman Catholic Church, while active in Cameroon since 1880, only arrived in the capital of Maroua in Extreme Nord in 1972)... In the northern part of the country the cultural difference is evident with much more difficult living conditions and particular problems, and so many missionary efforts of various Christian Bonds have been abandoned."

"The total number of the Orthodox faithful of the Metropolis is over two hundred thousand"

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
Found some pictures of Archpriest Tercílio Carlini, first Brazilian ordinated to priesthood. He was a missionary in the Moscow Patriarchate, served the poor and was a faithful intercessor for the Amerindian community in Rio. May his memory be eternal.

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.