Author Topic: Question for Catholics re: Catholic view of abortion  (Read 618 times)

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
Question for Catholics re: Catholic view of abortion
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:42:22 AM »
OK, so on another forum the topic of abortion came up and folks were posting re:how different faith traditions view the subject. One guy who's a devout practicing Catholic and attends Latin Mass, has a sister wh is a nun, offered this as the Catholic Church's stance on abortion (I copied his post but removed his name):

"The Catholic Church has a similar approach. If it is the case that either one life is lost, or both, then it is better to save the life of the mother. But the circumstances must be completely dire, and I can't think of another situation where it would apply. I've often seen people justify abortion by saying "the child would not live long"; that is not enough. If a child can draw breath once being born, it can be baptised and therefore saved..."

Huh? I was under the impression that the Catholic Church never approved of abortion under any circumstances. Is that not correct?
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
Re: Question for Catholics re: Catholic view of abortion
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:53:48 AM »
The local bishop excommunicated a nun on the ethics committee of a Catholic hospital in Phoenix for advising a female patient to undergo an abortion because she believed it would save her life, and, when the hospital in question supported her decision, the diocese cut all ties with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excommunication_of_Margaret_McBride

Given the state of Catholic "nuns" (really, sisters) in America, it would not at all surprise me if this one presented Catholic belief as such, but according to my understanding of Catholic teaching it is not true.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:03:49 AM by Antonis »
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4