Author Topic: Touchpad Troubles  (Read 180 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Touchpad Troubles
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:34 AM »
I had a chromebook before and for some reason the touchpad started acting differently. Specifically, I could no longer scroll using my fingers (touching with one finger and using a second finger to scroll). I thought it was because I had damaged the hardware, as I tended to hold the thing by the corner when I moved it, which caused some bending, and I thought perhaps this stressed some of the internal stuffs. However, I bought a (refurbished) new chromebook, and I'm still dealing with the issue. At first it worked fine (as preferred), but then I rebooted to let it do an update, a signed back in, and... poof, back to not being able to scroll using the touchpad. I really don't want to reset everything, especially since I don't even know if that'll fix it. Has anyone dealt with or heard anything like this, and know of some way I accidentally might have caused this? I've tried a dozen different fixes suggested online, to no avail. I'm sure I didn't change any settings whenever it started happening, so I'm guessing it was some kind of keyboard shortcut thing that I unwittingly did. And now I'm hoping there's some way to reverse it.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: Touchpad Troubles
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 12:31:06 PM »
I had a chromebook before and for some reason the touchpad started acting differently. Specifically, I could no longer scroll using my fingers (touching with one finger and using a second finger to scroll). I thought it was because I had damaged the hardware, as I tended to hold the thing by the corner when I moved it, which caused some bending, and I thought perhaps this stressed some of the internal stuffs. However, I bought a (refurbished) new chromebook, and I'm still dealing with the issue. At first it worked fine (as preferred), but then I rebooted to let it do an update, a signed back in, and... poof, back to not being able to scroll using the touchpad. I really don't want to reset everything, especially since I don't even know if that'll fix it. Has anyone dealt with or heard anything like this, and know of some way I accidentally might have caused this? I've tried a dozen different fixes suggested online, to no avail. I'm sure I didn't change any settings whenever it started happening, so I'm guessing it was some kind of keyboard shortcut thing that I unwittingly did. And now I'm hoping there's some way to reverse it.

I do not have any experience with chrome. But if you can find and look at your touchpad settings, the solution to the problem might be obvious. This is mostly a bump.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Touchpad Troubles
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »

It sounds like it might be an attribute of the software update.  Was your old Chromebook also updated?

Do you have the ability to log one of them into a new or different Google account?  That would identify if it is a user-settings issue. 

Alas I don't have a ChromeBook, I am just telling you what I would do in your situation, in addition to Googling the problem.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.