Author Topic: Kneeling  (Read 378 times)

Offline Sharbel

• High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
Kneeling
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:31:10 AM »
I was surprised by kneelers at pews and was unaware that the Greek Orthodox knelt during the Epiclesis.  Is this something new, for I noticed that a few remained standing then?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:31:58 AM by Sharbel »
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline JTLoganville

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Re: Kneeling
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 12:37:35 AM »
I was surprised by kneelers at pews and was unaware that the Greek Orthodox knelt during the Epiclesis.  Is this something new, for I noticed that a few remained standing then?

My GO congregation has been in its present (new) building since the early 1980's.  Pews with kneelers have been there from the beginning.

Many people are confused about when/when not to kneel at the Epiclesis and fail to understand the canonical prohibition on kneeling on Sundays, Paschatide, and Feasts of the Lord.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 01:05:50 AM »
Yeah, I read recently that's it's modernism. The canons do state that we're to stay standing on Sundays.

I know that Greek Catholic parishes have a lot of kneeling.

I saw some kneel before myself.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 01:20:22 AM »
Yeah, I read recently that's it's modernism. The canons do state that we're to stay standing on Sundays.

I know that Greek Catholic parishes have a lot of kneeling.

I saw some kneel before myself.
Not the ones I had attended. In fact there was more kneeling at the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (epiklesis and Lord's Prayer) I visited once than the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church I attended a few times. I'm sure it varies -- we kneel but the other nearby Greek parish probably doesn't, having chairs and a concrete floor.

I did get an explanation and it was that since almost every liturgy is on Sundays we don't "get to" kneel, so this practice is in response to that. More of an economia. Of course not everyone will accept that, though of course no one has broken communion over it either. (that I know of)
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:36:08 AM »

My GO congregation has been in its present (new) building since the early 1980's.  Pews with kneelers have been there from the beginning.

Many people are confused about when/when not to kneel at the Epiclesis and fail to understand the canonical prohibition on kneeling on Sundays, Paschatide, and Feasts of the Lord.

Actually, I have read a compelling argument that Canon XX of Nicea doesnt mean what we think kt means, which i shall have to dig up.  Its also worth bearing in mind that the ancient canons are not some sort of Christian Talmud; their interpretation and application is the responsibility of the bishops
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
I think I saw kneeling on Sunday at some GOARCH's parishes when I visited the USA.
In Poland at many parishes it's pretty common to kneel during the Epiclesis (actually, the previous rector of my parish, let be his memory eternal, sometimes was remind us to do it), it's clear this is a Roman Catholic influence.

Hower, this September I visied Romania, so, various parishes in different parts of the country, for the kneeling, plus sitting on the feet (it's another version of kneeling) or laying head on the ground is the most popualr prayer position. And there are no certain moments to do it, rather if somebody feels he/she needs to do it, just does it. My Romanian friend said that only during the Pentecost period they don't do these various types of kneeling, or, at least, less.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 05:02:33 PM »
I visited an ACROD parish.  Congregation knelt and those in the altar prostrated.  I don't know how widespread that is.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 05:49:38 PM »
Greeks kneeling during the Epiklesis goes back centuries, to the Venetian period. Venetian rule covered much of mainland Greece and some of the islands, including during the Ottoman period.

OTOH, Greeks from the northern regions rarely, if ever, kneel. Their churches traditionally also tend not to have pews or chairs.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
Copts do full metanies during the Epiclesis, on Sundays, to the extent permitted by the amount of room in the church.   
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 06:43:32 PM »
Copts do full metanies during the Epiclesis, on Sundays, to the extent permitted by the amount of room in the church.

Except for the ones who stand and bow the head on Sundays and the holy fifty...

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »

Actually, I have read a compelling argument that Canon XX of Nicea doesnt mean what we think kt means, which i shall have to dig up.

Sounds interesting...

Its also worth bearing in mind that the ancient canons are not some sort of Christian Talmud; their interpretation and application is the responsibility of the bishops

+1