Author Topic: Request for Modern Greek Help  (Read 181 times)

Offline ContraMundum

• Amor quaerens intellectum
  • Faith: Reformed
  • Jurisdiction: Presbyterian Church in America
Request for Modern Greek Help
« on: October 20, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »
I thought this might be a good place to solicit a request, a request, of course, everyone is free to decline. I was wondering if there were any native Greeks here who are fluent or at least relatively competent in Ancient Greek. If so, would any be willing to record themselves reading some texts. maybe once a week, which would only take less than 15 min, may times less. The text I am talking about is Athenaze (more specifically, the Italian edition, which has more readings). It's one of the best textbooks out there, but, unfortunately, almost all the audio out there is either reconstructed or the some bastardized erasmian. Audio is an important part of learning any language, and it would be really nice to have something besides the New Testament to modern Greek pronunciation.

Thanks!

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
Re: Request for Modern Greek Help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »
Are you looking for Erasmian pronunciation which is taught in many universities or the way many Greeks pronounce the ancient Greek, more similar to modern Greek ?
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline ContraMundum

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 04:23:04 PM »
Modern Greek pronunciation. It's easy to find Erasmian and Reconstructed.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »
Most Greeks pronounce hymns as modern Greek.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline ContraMundum

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 07:59:35 PM »
So to make sure my request is clear. I'm looking for someone who is either a native Greek speaker (or at least comparably close thereto) to do some recordings if they are willing. Of course, I can do some of the recordings myself, but my accent is not that great. Part of understanding a language is understanding its natural rhythm and cadence; something native speakers and few others possess.