Author Topic: Is this or is this not a blasphemous premise for a story?  (Read 652 times)

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Is this or is this not a blasphemous premise for a story?
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:13:52 AM »
For a sci-fi/weird fiction story I am thinking of writing, the beginning takes place right after the Israelites have left Egypt.  In this world, a small number of Israelites decide to remain behind simply because they've found a measure of success in Egypt and have come to consider it their home.  There's no criticism of Moses or Judeo-Christian beliefs.  Is this an alright premise for a book written by a Christian?

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Is this or is this not a blasphemous premise for a story?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 03:24:37 AM »
I don't see why not.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
Would that be historical fiction more than sci-fi/weird?

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:34:31 AM »
I'm willing to guess that this might have happened.  That not all of the descendants of Israel in Egypt were willing to follow Moses. The Exodus story is simply the account of those who did obey God and followed Moses. What would likely be blaphemous is if the aim of your story would be to disprove the Bible account.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »
For a sci-fi/weird fiction story I am thinking of writing, the beginning takes place right after the Israelites have left Egypt.  In this world, a small number of Israelites decide to remain behind simply because they've found a measure of success in Egypt and have come to consider it their home.  There's no criticism of Moses or Judeo-Christian beliefs.  Is this an alright premise for a book written by a Christian?

Sounds legitimate to me.  And like CarolS, I think it possible a few might well have cut themselves off from Israel to stay behind in Egypt for worldly gain.  This was clearly a temptation presented to Moses; he could have remained in the court of Pharoah as a member of the Great and the Good of the highest orders of Egyptian society, enjoying a life of extreme luxury and political influence.  Instead he entered the desert and found God, something which seems to happen frequently in Egypt (for example, to St. Anthony).

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.