Author Topic: going to the monasteries  (Read 400 times)

Offline OrthoDisco

• Faith: Orthodox
going to the monasteries
« on: October 11, 2017, 06:27:36 PM »
What are some of the things you like to take up to your monks/nuns?  Special foods? Flowers? Fun? I was just planning on taking some dry goods, but was looking for other interesting ideas.
(Aside from $ donation)

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: going to the monasteries
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »
It depends on the monastery and the country.

In Poland if I want to spend a few days/one week on posłuszanie ("obedience" - working for monastery, praying with the nuns), I take the thigns that in any case the nuns, their guests or I need: a package of tea, some chocolate or desserts, salmon, tomato concentrate. It happened that I've given some religious books that I had read and they've been in good condidion, but as I didn't need them anymore, they were able to sell them in the monastery shop. Once my mother has given thema good olive oil from Greece, a s akind of gift.

A neighouring (2 kilometres) male monastery from the female one I usually go, they get from people cakes and sweets (since they're the unique things that they don't prepare at their monastery).

When I visit a monastery in Serbia for a short time or only one night, I give them a Polish vodka or Żubrówka (I've done the same thing in Cyprus).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »
What are some of the things you like to take up to your monks/nuns?  Special foods? Flowers? Fun? I was just planning on taking some dry goods, but was looking for other interesting ideas.
(Aside from $ donation)

Just give them good words that they can leave the monasteries and have families. There is nothing more expensive than real emotion which you can bring in such a dark place.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:53:25 AM »
(Aside from $ donation)

Just give them good words that they can leave the monasteries and have families. There is nothing more expensive than real emotion which you can bring in such a dark place.

What monasteries have you been visiting?

In my experience, they are a spot of bright light in an otherwise dark world.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »
(Aside from $ donation)

What monasteries have you been visiting?

In my experience, they are a spot of bright light in an otherwise dark world.

Rozhen monastery https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rozhen_Monastery , Rila monastery https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rila_Monastery , Samokov Monastery http://bulgariatravel.org/en/object/215/Devicheski_manastir_Samokov , Resilovo Monastery http://www.bulgariamonasteries.com/resilovski_manastir.html Most like the Samokov maybe because it is girl's monastery.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:55:35 AM by Indocern »

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:21:56 PM »
Olive Oil for the icon lamps.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »

Always a good choice, as is Communion-appropriate wine.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:01:30 PM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »

Always a good choice, as is Communion-appropriate wine.

Communion wine is a good choice too, but it can harder to get the right type.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »
Presumably you have or will contact them to inquire about visiting (or if needed could contact them again), and could ask them on the phone/email what specifically would be helpful. Or ask in person for the next time you might visit.