Author Topic: Anyone still on CAF?  (Read 997 times)

Offline Peter J

• still a CAF poster
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Christian
Anyone still on CAF?
« on: October 08, 2017, 10:34:56 PM »
Is anyone here still on the Catholic Answers Forum (CAF)?
- Peter Jericho

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Anyone still on CAF?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 10:53:05 PM »
As in still a regular poster, or do you mean just people who post here and haven't been banned there yet?

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 11:04:42 PM »
Me, but I rarely post there.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Sharbel

• High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:19:15 PM »
I've had an account at CAF for over 15 years, with thousands of posts.  But I've been suspended often for merely asking the questions and stating the things I do here, just to be offered replies that ranged from anathema to quotes from Canon Law to straighten me up!  Never got any spiritual counsel or serious engagement.  I never felt myself as a prisoner of the Catholic Church, but one of her joyful sons, even now as I question it.  So I fail to grasp the appeal to a brother in the faith I'd have to content myself with the corral of legalisms.  If I do become Orthodox, it won't be a rupture in my faith life, but its continuing completion and fulfillment.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 11:58:32 PM »
I still am, but I haven't posted there since their awful forum update. It is aesthetically displeasing in the extreme.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Nicodemusz138

• Faith: Always seeking God
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the Kingdom of God, Eternity
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 06:35:55 AM »
Some months ago I was thinking of joining it, but after everything that happened, I will not.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14

Προς άπειρο και πέραν αυτού!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
I still am, but I haven't posted there since their awful forum update. It is aesthetically displeasing in the extreme.

I logged on there after a long period of inactivity only to see the forum update and think, "Ummm, nope." Besides, as has been mentioned, anyone whose posts I enjoyed reading has been banned.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:40:09 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Peter J

• still a CAF poster
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 09:17:06 PM »
As in still a regular poster, or do you mean just people who post here and haven't been banned there yet?

I guess I mean a little of both of those questions.

Also, I know a handful of people who have been unable to log in since the recent change ... not sure if they are "banned" or not.
- Peter Jericho

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »

Also, I know a handful of people who have been unable to log in since the recent change ... not sure if they are "banned" or not.

I had to reset my password and I lost all my saved PMs. I'm not banned yet, probably because I never post anything remotely controversial.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 08:11:27 PM »

I had to reset my password and I lost all my saved PMs. I'm not banned yet, probably because I never post anything remotely controversial.

Same.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline schismhater

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 12:22:07 AM »
I posted there quite often as "Expatreprocedit". After their retooling I tried to log on with the same username and password I always used but it claimed the password was wrong, and it wouldn't let me update my password. So I gave up.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
I posted there quite often as "Expatreprocedit". After their retooling I tried to log on with the same username and password I always used but it claimed the password was wrong, and it wouldn't let me update my password. So I gave up.

Any chance of you opening a new account? Or you just gonna leave it at that?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 10:29:44 AM »
Is there some redeeming quality of the forum that justifies all this effort?
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »

I've been blocked by most people who were jerks and whatnot. So most of my experiences there are actually decent.

Offline Nicodemusz138

• Faith: Always seeking God
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the Kingdom of God, Eternity
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 06:33:50 AM »

Even although I never had an account there, I still somewhat enjoyed reading threads, but I almost never do this anymore after this update.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14

Προς άπειρο και πέραν αυτού!

Offline Peter J

• still a CAF poster
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 09:54:06 PM »

I at least used to think so.
- Peter Jericho

Offline Sharbel

• High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
Yes, but, unlike other forums ::), it's readable on a mobile device...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:17:28 AM by Sharbel »
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline Story

• Faith: Wannabe Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Former Protestant Evangelical
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
Yes, but, unlike other forums ::), it's readable on a mobile device...

Amen to that!

Offline Peter J

• still a CAF poster
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »
Anyone else?
- Peter Jericho

Offline Ray1

• Ataturk, wake up! Turkey needs you.
  • Faith: Atheist
  • Jurisdiction: Naturalist (Materialist)
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 04:10:37 PM »
I was a member years ago but was banned because I asked so many questions they didn't like.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 04:14:27 PM »
I tried to sign in using various usernames and passwords, but was unsuccessful. It actually looked better, discussion-wise, than I remember it being... but not enough to entice me to keep trying to log in.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
I tried to sign in using various usernames and passwords, but was unsuccessful. It actually looked better, discussion-wise, than I remember it being... but not enough to entice me to keep trying to log in.

You have to reset your password since the update. Just choose the forgot your password option and they'll send you a link to your email to change it.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »
I have not logged in for a couple of years. I find I can no longer log in and resetting my password does not work. I do have the correct username, password and email address. I am still able to log into ByzCath which was established at approximately the same date.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Not even a Catechumen
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 08:07:36 PM »
I'm on Suscipe Domine, which is a Traditional Catholic, SSPX, and Sedevacantist website.
It's mostly me bringing up points and like 3/4 of the site population calling me schismatic, with like 1/8 telling me to leave.
(Although admittedly I can be rather polemical, especially in response to accusations of being polemical and being called schismatic).
I've been on there too much admittedly because I like debate too much.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:10:28 PM by LivenotoneviL »
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
I logged on there after a long period of inactivity only to see the forum update and think, "Ummm, nope."

Actually, after going back a second time and poking around, I actually really like the upgrade. It took a moment because in Web years I'm old and crotchety and thus hate change, but once I got there it was good.

The software wasn't enough to keep me around though. Internet Catholicism is a study in pathology, and I don't mean just scrupulosity.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
The software wasn't enough to keep me around though. Internet Catholicism is a study in pathology, and I don't mean just scrupulosity.

Happy are we to have found a religion so full of well-adjusted, rational people!
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »

Happy are we to have found a religion so full of well-adjusted, rational people!

Amen!
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 12:01:15 PM »

I just prefer a religion with people who suffer the same kind of sicknesses I do.