Author Topic: American Orthodoxy/ies w/David Bentley Hart at Fordham  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
Re: American Orthodoxy/ies w/David Bentley Hart at Fordham
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2018, 02:39:20 PM »
Perhaps for Americans with a Low Church Protestant familyline. However there are other kinds of Western Christians too.
Thank goodness!
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
... simplified liturgy and anglican-like liturgy, no matter how simplified, is already too high church to average western christians.
+1

Perhaps for Americans with a Low Church Protestant familyline. However there are other kinds of Western Christians too.

Yeah, but they're shrinking in numbers and influence all the time. Low Church has won the branding war, so to speak. The average person in the West, to the extent they think of High Church at all, thinks only of a catalog of pop culture cliches and caricatures of the Catholic Church.
I do stuff.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2018, 05:45:10 PM »
For those interested in Prof. D.B. Hart's writings on evidence for God, there is a critical article in the New Republic by an atheist, who summarizes some of Hart's arguments and responds to them. I am interested in people's reactions to arguments for God. One of Hart's main ones seem to be the experience of one's relationship with God aas itself a proof.

Religious Believers' Favorite New Book Is a Failed Argument for God, By Jerry A. Coyne, April 16, 2014
https://newrepublic.com/article/117393/david-bentley-harts-experience-god-isnt-must-read-atheist

I don't dislike the book (in fact I've recommended it a couple times to people), but I agree with a number of the criticisms in the article. For example the author points out that DBH quite readily falls into a 'God of the gaps' kind of argumentation, which I think large chunks of the book--including his whole schpiel about consciousness--falls into.
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2018, 06:57:10 PM »
For those interested in Prof. D.B. Hart's writings on evidence for God, there is a critical article in the New Republic by an atheist, who summarizes some of Hart's arguments and responds to them. I am interested in people's reactions to arguments for God. One of Hart's main ones seem to be the experience of one's relationship with God aas itself a proof.

Religious Believers' Favorite New Book Is a Failed Argument for God, By Jerry A. Coyne, April 16, 2014
https://newrepublic.com/article/117393/david-bentley-harts-experience-god-isnt-must-read-atheist

I don't dislike the book (in fact I've recommended it a couple times to people), but I agree with a number of the criticisms in the article. For example the author points out that DBH quite readily falls into a 'God of the gaps' kind of argumentation, which I think large chunks of the book--including his whole schpiel about consciousness--falls into.

I wonder though, how much that kind of argumentation is unavoidable when talking to atheists about certain things, ya know? As long some atheists insist on reality being "innocent of being theistic until proven guilty," then "well, it COULD be God, you don't know," winds up being the only reasonable response.

But I haven't read the book, so I don't know what Hart's arguments entail exactly.
I do stuff.