Author Topic: Is it a sin not to marry if you have not found the one ?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
Is it a sin not to marry if you have not found the one ?
« on: October 02, 2017, 04:42:14 AM »
I don't think I could make any girl fall in love with me more than others
Maybe we can be faithful to one another but she may not be fully in love with me wishing I had other qualities. That would make me not want to marry

In the last days it is said they will forbid marriage does that mean they will forbid it completely or condemn those who do not find the perfect spouse ? Because the only perfect spouse is Jesus Christ

Is Christianity ensured to continue by giving birth to Christian children atleast because some will raise them Christian successfully so to not marry is sin ?

I don't mind if my wife is faithful and I can not provide for her for her  to love someone else in heaven if we we're not suitable for each other if I find someone else in heaven but would I lose by not being a virgin?

Or I find a similar person to me not virgin

Maybe I want to be that lady first love so I be virgin. I know there is no sex in heaven but it is still about what you have given away

But then all relationships in heaven are common and if all are the same there is no reward for righteousness and that won't even make God happy. I guess the reward is to try to save my wife and give her freedom even though she don't love me but she might and I will be united to many
But I suppose I shouldn't care to be first love of others

I don't want to marry any woman who doesn't allow me to be as dedicated to God as I am now she can say she wants me to care for such things but not to control me and tell me things like don't think that way don't worry and don't post or she will leave
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:42:46 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Is it a sin not to marry if you have not found the one ?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 07:12:02 AM »
mike, there's more to marriage than the 'in love' part, especially a Christian marriage. 
I'd argue that one can "fully love" their spouse and still wish things were different.  Love isn't a merit-based emotion.
Celibacy is not a sin; far from it.
I don't think there's finding anyone else in Heaven.
You're right that control and coercion are problematic, though when you are married you really do not live in a void, so there are two sides to that particular coin.
Just...more food for thought; I know you're ruminating on a lot already.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
Thankyou for your reply Ainnir :) Yeah more food for thought. If I have something I want to say later I will.

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
There is wife for everyone, you will find someone one day.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »

Even women?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 11:50:47 PM »
Women means wife. Husband means men.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:54:05 PM by Indocern »

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 01:25:02 AM »
Women means wife. Husband means men.

He was being sarcastic referring to lesbianism. Your behaviour is funny not always intentionally but maybe you are serious

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:31:22 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 06:09:30 AM »
I support Christ if He is always serious I am too.

Offline Helladius

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 06:29:59 AM »
Good question, Mike, I think a lot of people have wondered something like this at some point!

I would say that 'the one' is not really a very Christian/Orthodox idea. Of course God knows what will happen in your life and has a plan for you, but approaching marriage thinking there's a perfect one out there whom you have to identify and marry is not a good idea. Ultimately, there are lots of people in the world you could have a great marriage with, and no-one is 'perfect' for someone else because we are all imperfect sinners. It's simply a case of finding someone you find you are:
-attracted to spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, and physically
-where you think you could both commit to loving each other for the rest of your lives
-with whom you could have a good and godly marriage where you raise your children in faith and love
- and with whom together you can both grow in holiness and pursue salvation

The best way of finding someone like this is to spend a fair amount of time getting involved in your church community and in Orthodox events (pilgrimages, retreats, talks, concerts, conferences - whatever you like really!). Focus on making friends at these events (and not just with the girls - don't let looking for a spouse mean you miss out on making great friends of your own gender too!) and be friendly and kind. If you find among your friends a girl whom you like who is good and godly and single then see if she would like to spend some more time with you (e.g. go for coffee, or go see a film, or go on a walk), and see where things go from there.

It's better not to philosophise about 'what ifs' but instead to focus on the situation you're actually in, as you can never predict and sort out the future as you really don't know the details of what will or won't happen to you. Just try your best with whatever your situation currently is. Or, as my priest tells me, 'live in the present moment - it is there that we meet God'.
I say all of the above from much experience in the past of having NOT done these things :p And a strong tendency towards philosophising about 'what ifs' instead of getting on with reality! So I have learnt these lessons through trial and error!

It might be a good idea to read some books/articles, or listen to some podcasts (e.g. on Ancient Faith Radio), about relationships and marriage, as we all have misconceptions and learning more about what the Church teaches about marriage and what experienced priests advise can be really helpful in shaping how we approach relationships and think about marriage (again, I have learned this through trial and error, I have to admit!).

Those are my two cents anyway, in case they're any help :)
'Be extremely careful not to offend anyone in word or deed, for it is a grave sin. When someone is offended, God, who loves the man, is also offended, for there can be no offending man without offending God.'
St Tikhon of Zadonsk

'Where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also' Matt 6:21

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 07:35:47 AM »
That was beautiful, Helladius!  Though I admit I've had to work around to the view myself; I would have disagreed I think even 5 years ago.

Even women?
Indocern, your statement implies that "everyone" doesn't include women--which basically denies them personhood.  Which is not godly nor Orthodox nor biblical.  The whole "helper suitable" but doesn't mean Eve (and by extension women), are any less made in the image of God than Adam (and by extension men).
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 08:08:29 AM »
That was beautiful, Helladius!  Though I admit I've had to work around to the view myself; I would have disagreed I think even 5 years ago.

Even women?
Indocern, your statement implies that "everyone" doesn't include women--which basically denies them personhood.  Which is not godly nor Orthodox nor biblical.  The whole "helper suitable" but doesn't mean Eve (and by extension women), are any less made in the image of God than Adam (and by extension men).

I mean that everyone can marry in this life. Because Adam and Eve was created married.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
Good question, Mike, I think a lot of people have wondered something like this at some point!

I would say that 'the one' is not really a very Christian/Orthodox idea. Of course God knows what will happen in your life and has a plan for you, but approaching marriage thinking there's a perfect one out there whom you have to identify and marry is not a good idea. Ultimately, there are lots of people in the world you could have a great marriage with, and no-one is 'perfect' for someone else because we are all imperfect sinners. It's simply a case of finding someone you find you are:
-where you think you could both commit to loving each other for the rest of your lives
-with whom you could have a good and godly marriage where you raise your children in faith and love

The best way of finding someone like this is to spend a fair amount of time getting involved in your church community and in Orthodox events (pilgrimages, retreats, talks, concerts, conferences - whatever you like really!). Focus on making friends at these events (and not just with the girls - don't let looking for a spouse mean you miss out on making great friends of your own gender too!) and be friendly and kind. If you find among your friends a girl whom you like who is good and godly and single then see if she would like to spend some more time with you (e.g. go for coffee, or go see a film, or go on a walk), and see where things go from there.

It's better not to philosophise about 'what ifs' but instead to focus on the situation you're actually in, as you can never predict and sort out the future as you really don't know the details of what will or won't happen to you. Just try your best with whatever your situation currently is. Or, as my priest tells me, 'live in the present moment - it is there that we meet God'.
I say all of the above from much experience in the past of having NOT done these things :p And a strong tendency towards philosophising about 'what ifs' instead of getting on with reality! So I have learnt these lessons through trial and error!

It might be a good idea to read some books/articles, or listen to some podcasts (e.g. on Ancient Faith Radio), about relationships and marriage, as we all have misconceptions and learning more about what the Church teaches about marriage and what experienced priests advise can be really helpful in shaping how we approach relationships and think about marriage (again, I have learned this through trial and error, I have to admit!).

Thankyou Helladius :) you are the first one to offer practical wisdom and support. I planned to do some or all of that and now feel my thoughts are more legitimate

I was never so worried about not finding a right person until I was made to feel there is only one type of person for me that will work out for me because it is assumed we are all weak and it will definitely end in divorce or my case maybe separation. For even that possibility I felt condemned not to fight perfect person as though I am responsible for failed marriage for even giving any such relationship a chance
Ofcourse there are wrong people though
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:07:24 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
In my opinion everybody can marry everybody but the problem is that some people have certain type of the partner.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:09:42 AM by Indocern »

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »

Thankyou Helladius :) you are the first one to offer practical wisdom and support. I planned to do some or all of that and now feel my thoughts are more legitimate

I was never so worried about not finding a right person until I was made to feel there is only one type of person for me that will work out for me because it is assumed we are all weak and it will definitely end in divorce or my case maybe separation. For even that possibility I felt condemned not to fight perfect person as though I am responsible for failed marriage for even giving any such relationship a chance

Great advice Helladius.

Sounds like you have high expectations Mike. We all do! It also sounds like you are cozying up to the idea of settling for something less than your expectations. Nothing wrong with that. But, I believe that one should have a healthy attraction to there spouse even though they may not be there ultimate fantasy. Also sounds like if you do except the inferior girl and down the road you run into misses right that you will leave her for the better one. That's not healthy thinking!
I suggest you look yourself in the mirror and the same flaws you find in yourself and don't judge. Do the same for your future wife. People aren't perfect even though our culture has had a sexual revolution and only shows perfection on TV and social media. Raising peoples expectations. Also pray to God for help finding someone. It helps.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 01:33:48 AM »

Great advice Helladius.

Sounds like you have high expectations Mike. We all do! It also sounds like you are cozying up to the idea of settling for something less than your expectations. Nothing wrong with that. But, I believe that one should have a healthy attraction to there spouse even though they may not be there ultimate fantasy. Also sounds like if you do except the inferior girl and down the road you run into misses right that you will leave her for the better one. That's not healthy thinking!
I suggest you look yourself in the mirror and the same flaws you find in yourself and don't judge. Do the same for your future wife. People aren't perfect even though our culture has had a sexual revolution and only shows perfection on TV and social media. Raising peoples expectations. Also pray to God for help finding someone. It helps.

I think you are right Tzimis. I do not think I would leave for another. I do plan on marrying only the one I have feelings for but the above concerns I was made to feel by someone is used to justify the rule not to even try to get to know someone you are not 100% sure about (and or that she will accept you) as though you should be sure from first sight (I do not mean you fall in love at first sight but you love from first sight). If you are not sure from first sight without even getting to know the person that the person is someone you will not have problems going through difficult times with without getting to know that person they are not the one you should marry. Therefore there could be more than one one.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:39:59 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 02:10:02 AM »
I woud like to marry a girl with spirit of male, this is my only requirement... But if God think I can have other girl I would enjoy His decision.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 02:34:00 AM »
This is why I thought you not serious. Seems like you are laughing at someone else who would say such things and that is why I called you maxim brady

Offline MariaJLM

• Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »
I would certainly hope not, lol. Celibacy is valued in the church so as long as the unmarried person remains celibate I don't see the issue?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »
I woud like to marry a girl with spirit of male, this is my only requirement... But if God think I can have other girl I would enjoy His decision.

There are no such people.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 05:13:45 PM »
I would certainly hope not, lol. Celibacy is valued in the church so as long as the unmarried person remains celibate I don't see the issue?

Loneliness.

And celibacy is required, but not valued. When was the last time you heard a homily praising unmarried people?

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »
One either marries or remains single. We are still supposed to live h the [10 commandments and to love God and neighbor .
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 04:21:39 AM »
And celibacy is required, but not valued. When was the last time you heard a homily praising unmarried people?

Unless their unmarriedness was the result of, or for the sake of, a personal sacrifice, I'm not sure what would be particularly praiseworthy about it.

Chances are you have heard homilies praising people who are unmarried, it's just that pointing it out wouldn't have added much.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 07:44:03 AM »

Unless their unmarriedness was the result of, or for the sake of, a personal sacrifice, I'm not sure what would be particularly praiseworthy about it.

Chances are you have heard homilies praising people who are unmarried, it's just that pointing it out wouldn't have added much.

Celibacy can be a personal sacrifice. It is difficult. It is lonely. Resisting sexual temptation is good.

Mentioning it here and there might help more people succeed in not fornicating.

Offline Hawkeye

• High Elder
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »

Celibacy can be a personal sacrifice. It is difficult. It is lonely. Resisting sexual temptation is good.

Certainly celibacy as a choice freely taken is admirable, and such a choice made is indeed a sacrifice, but it's a personal and not a wholly necessary one, generally speaking. The Church doesn't have much reason to advocate committed lifelong celibacy for celibacy's sake except perhaps for widows and widowers. Voluntary celibates, distinct from those who simply never got married, should be praised for their choice if they are open about it but the onus in that situation is really on the celibates themselves.

Most people already know they shouldn't be fornicating, telling them they could be celibate instead doesn't provide them with anything new.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 08:38:19 AM »

Certainly celibacy as a choice freely taken is admirable, and such a choice made is indeed a sacrifice, but it's a personal and not a wholly necessary one, generally speaking. The Church doesn't have much reason to advocate committed lifelong celibacy for celibacy's sake except perhaps for widows and widowers. Voluntary celibates, distinct from those who simply never got married, should be praised for their choice if they are open about it but the onus in that situation is really on the celibates themselves.

Most people already know they shouldn't be fornicating, telling them they could be celibate instead doesn't provide them with anything new.

Wow, so don't help people with some occasional boosts of kind words. And you wonder why people waver and fall.

Being alone is not always self-imposed. It's hard to find somebody, get them interested, and keep them. In my country, there are a lot of people in my situation. You *can't* always "just go get married!!!" It gets harder every day. And I can't even get people to pray for me. There is no help for us.

I'll stop now, I'm not getting anywhere.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
I'll pray for you biro. I know a little bit of what you've shared with us over the years and my heart goes out to you.

I agree that loneliness isn't always self-imposed.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Hawkeye

• High Elder
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »
Wow, so don't help people with some occasional boosts of kind words. And you wonder why people waver and fall.

Everyone should be afforded encouragement in their struggles but I don't see how saying "attagirl" to the lonely helps them. And I know loneliness perfectly well, just as well as why people fall.

Being alone is not always self-imposed. It's hard to find somebody, get them interested, and keep them. In my country, there are a lot of people in my situation. You *can't* always "just go get married!!!" It gets harder every day. And I can't even get people to pray for me. There is no help for us.

You're right, for some celibacy comes uninvited but such celibacy is markedly different from celibacy self-imposed. Would you praise someone for their loneliness? Praise the fact that they couldn't find someone and couldn't keep them?

I'm just sharing some of my thoughts and don't mean to be rude or dismissive or anything of that sort, so I'll leave it at that.

I'll pray for you.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »
The bible says a man who isolates himself seeks his own desire.  So he should live holy if he can't exercise self control he should seek marriage. But also our Lord warned in the last days many will be getting married and I think it is literal and they eat and drink that is they are caught up too much in ease for jesus says we should not worry about what we shall eat. Those who serve the Lord can forget to eat once they have occupied themself with the service of God. But they also need to eat but that is not what they are most concerned about. We eat because of depression. If we are not depressed we will not eat and there are no mental illnesses for strong christian as it is written His Holy Spirit makes us have a sound mind.

The person who gets married should not struggle with lust at all for Paul explains that those who are married after fasting if they feel tempted to come together to remove the temptation. Therefore it is called holy and a sacrament. It is a way to be set apart to the world to shine as lights in the midst of a crooked generation. Those who can be successful as monks are allowed to be if they find that marriage does not help them serve God as Jesus said there are eunuch who made themselves so for the kingdom of heaven sake. It is written to them if they find it appeals to them to be closer to God Jesus said.
I think you can be successful in the world without marriage or monk but maybe harder for some and to some much harder.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:02:08 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 03:35:09 PM »

To marry someone, simply to be married....is a sin against that person.  You would be using them merely for your own benefit (in this case checking off the "married" box on the list of life).

As a single individual you do have "more" free time than the married person....use that time wisely.  Study.  Do good deeds.  Help others....

God is a fair and just judge....not an evil tyrant.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Čtec

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 07:27:40 PM »
I cannot get married because every single woman i have engaged in a romantic manner, wanted to live in sin. When i pointed out Church doctrine, they laughed. Since then i occasionally masturbate and hate women for taking part in antichrist's staged movie.
I actually imagine my self, before i fall asleep, becoming a Patriarch, and then doing that Anathema rite ritual that Latin Church used until Vatican II, excommunicating every single baptized member of the Serbian Orthodox Church that does not live the Church doctrine and breaking communion with other Patriarchates that don't follow my steps.
Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 - Saint Apostle Paul

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • The BEST Rothschild
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 07:50:04 PM »

To marry someone, simply to be married....is a sin against that person.  You would be using them merely for your own benefit (in this case checking off the "married" box on the list of life).

Does anybody actually do that, though? I'm have a tough time imagining it, to be honest.

I can understand the idea of marrying someone you're not that into just to stave off loneliness, but not so much marrying just to be married (unless maybe your family is pushing you into it and you're marrying just to please them).
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things