Author Topic: French in the Finnish Orthodox Church  (Read 490 times)

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
French in the Finnish Orthodox Church
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSvFSpk64HA
Since I am not healthy enough to go to church today, I decided to watch a liturgy on Youtube instead. And I was surprised that in this Finnish hierarchical liturgy, some French was used. Is that usual? Does anyone know reasons for this practice?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
Re: French in the Finnish Orthodox Church
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »
That particular church is a private church financed by a businessman. Perhaps he had some French-speaking visitors or something. By far the most prevalent language is Finnish seconded assumingly with Slavonic. Southern and Western parishes might use Swedish and Northern parishes might use Skolt Sami. Other languages are used if the bishop/priest is a polyglot and there are immigrants among parishioners. In my parish I've heard of English, Greek and Romanian.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 12:11:57 PM »
That particular church is a private church financed by a businessman.
Interesting, what exactly is a private church? Are services there still open to the public?

Perhaps he had some French-speaking visitors or something.
Who is the priest? Are there any Finnish priests who have studied in France?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 01:56:38 PM »
That particular church is a private church financed by a businessman.
Interesting, what exactly is a private church? Are services there still open to the public?

Yes, they are and it's not a separate jurisdiction or anything like that. For example the service schedule is published on the website of the "normal" local parish. It's just that AFAIK the church is located somewhat in the middle of nowhere. Services are streamed online though.  I don't know any specifics but I guess this businessman financed the whole building process and promised to maintain it without any financial support from the church whatsoever and then asked the church to consecrate it.

The church has it's own website in case you are interested:
http://www.stgeorge.fi/historia_en.aspx

Perhaps he had some French-speaking visitors or something.
Who is the priest? Are there any Finnish priests who have studied in France?

Which priest? Sorry but I didn't watch through the whole 2 hours long video. Could you provide the exact timing?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:03:00 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 02:12:40 PM »
Up here in Oulu, Finland, Finnish is the main liturgical language, but we also regularly hear Church Slavonic at Sunday Liturgy for some of the prayers. Greek and English are also briefly used occasionally. This is because there are a good number of Russian speakers and some Greek speakers in the congregation. A few families are from Iraq and a choir they are in sings in Assyrian on some holidays. Of course at Easter a lot more languages get spoken for "Christ is risen" as we have a fairly international congregation. Our bishop used to be the priest in a bilingual Finnish-Swedish parish farther south so occasionally says a few words in Swedish when he leads a service here. But I don't remember ever hearing French at a service.

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »
Which priest? Sorry but I didn't watch through the whole 2 hours long video. Could you provide the exact timing?

For example starting at 25:10 until 26:30... it seems like there are 2 different voices speaking French, the second other towards the end of the section.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 12:23:24 AM »

For example starting at 25:10 until 26:30... it seems like there are 2 different voices speaking French, the second other towards the end of the section.

The first one is Fr. Dcn. Jyrki Härkönen who AFAIK is an assistant of Archbishop. The other voice I don't recognize. Could be local clergy or some visitor.

According to Finnish Wikipedia Fr. Jyrki is a graduate of St. Serge in Paris which would explain the French skills.