Author Topic: Apostolic authorship of the Divine Liturgy of St. James.  (Read 405 times)

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
  • Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for US!
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Apostolic Throne of St. Peter's
Apostolic authorship of the Divine Liturgy of St. James.
« on: September 30, 2017, 01:12:34 AM »
The Divine Liturgy of St. James, widely used in Eastern Churches, both Catholic and Orthodox, is inspired, theologically rich, beautiful and breathtaking; its Apostolic authorship was scarcely questioned till relatively recently. Yet today there are very few defenders of its ancient origin and Apostolic composition, The following statement on Orthodoxwiki sums it up, "The general scholarly consensus is that this liturgy originated in Jerusalem during the late fourth or early fifth century".
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Liturgy_of_St._James

Just like liberal "scholars" claim the Gospels were written post 70 A.D. because the destruction of the Temple is so vividly and accurately prophesied in them, so many, even Catholic and Orthodox scholars, today seem to doubt that St. James, the Lords cousin, really handed down the Divine Liturgy that bears his name, mostly because it contains explicit references to the Trinity and so on which, they falsely assume, could not have come from the lips of the Lord Himself and His Apostle. http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0717.htm

What is the consensus of posters here, did this Divine Liturgy originated only in the 4th or 5th century in Jerusalem? Or was it handed down by St. James himself, Apostle of the Lord and first Bishop of Jerusalem?

http://britishorthodox.org/miscellaneous/an-introduction-to-the-liturgy-of-saint-james/
"My daughter, look at My Heart surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console Me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months go to confession and receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary and keep Me company for a quarter of an hour" - The Theotokos to Sr. Lucia.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: Apostolic authorship of the Divine Liturgy of St. James.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 07:02:59 AM »
What is the consensus of posters here,
Consensuns on oc.net?  :o

did this Divine Liturgy originated only in the 4th or 5th century in Jerusalem? Or was it handed down by St. James himself, Apostle of the Lord and first Bishop of Jerusalem?

My very personal opinion:
the scetch of Liturgy/Mass is apostolic, ancient. There are no doubts.
As for this specific Liturgy: I think it's based on st. Jame's/Jerusalemite Liturgy, but over ages it has developed (so, that e.g we have also teh Pre-sanctified version of this Liturgy) and enriched.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
Re: Apostolic authorship of the Divine Liturgy of St. James.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 07:57:02 AM »
What is the consensus of posters here,
Consensuns on oc.net?  :o

did this Divine Liturgy originated only in the 4th or 5th century in Jerusalem? Or was it handed down by St. James himself, Apostle of the Lord and first Bishop of Jerusalem?

My very personal opinion:
the scetch of Liturgy/Mass is apostolic, ancient. There are no doubts.
As for this specific Liturgy: I think it's based on st. Jame's/Jerusalemite Liturgy, but over ages it has developed (so, that e.g we have also teh Pre-sanctified version of this Liturgy) and enriched.

Brilliant answer.  Why does anyone need to dispute this?