Author Topic: Does God's patience run out?  (Read 230 times)

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Does God's patience run out?
« on: September 27, 2017, 09:49:26 PM »
Hosea 9:15 is one of the oddest verses of Scripture to me. Talking about apostate Israel:

Every evil of theirs is in Gilgal; there I began to hate them. Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of my house. I will love them no more; all their princes are rebels.

It seems to me that the point of this verse is not just that they've hardened their hearts like Pharaoh and made their own salvation impossible, but that God Himself will stop loving them, will stop "knocking at the door." That seems odd to me.

Not only does it seem to speak against popular "River of Fire" thinking that wrath and Hell are just forms of God's love. But it also seems to contradict Psalm 30:5 which seems to me to imply that God never gives up on anybody (even desiring to save the devil, as per St. Isaac of Syria):

For his anger is but for a moment,
    and his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may tarry for the night,
    but joy comes with the morning.
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Does God's patience run out?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
When taken as a whole, this is a theme in Hosea:
For his anger is but for a moment,
    and his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may tarry for the night,
    but joy comes with the morning.

It is a back and forth story of Hoses with his prostitute wife and God's analogous back and forth relationship with Israel. Hosea was told to pick a prostitute for a wife because Israel is like that.

God says No More
But then......

It is kind of like the ending of Gone with the wind. The characters break up, but there is an expectation that they will reunite. Rhett says he always had a weakness for lost causes.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:04:23 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 10:15:15 PM »
I think you're really overreading. God offers his grace to everyone. If a whole people doesn't accept it, the prophet says God loves them no more. Hosea was always open to receive Gomer back, but once she decided to leave for her lovers, he broke up with her, announcing he wouldn't accept an insincere return.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »
These sound like good explanations. Thanks  :)
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things