OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 04:18:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is smoking marijuana a sin?  (Read 37197 times) Average Rating: 0
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #855 on: August 19, 2013, 04:34:41 AM »

Thank you, I was well aware of the book. I do have a sense of humour, albeit a dry one. And if you read my "memo to self" again you might see it may be read several ways, and even I don't which one I had in mind at point of posting it.  Grin
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #856 on: August 19, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »

Would someone just answer somebody's question so the discussion can actually make some progress?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #857 on: August 19, 2013, 10:24:03 AM »

Would someone just answer somebody's question so the discussion can actually make some progress?

Progress? Extremely unlikely given views are polarised, best that may be had is to agree to fundamentally disagree. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:24:38 AM by Santagranddad » Logged
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #858 on: August 19, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »

Progress? Extremely unlikely given views are polarised, best that may be had is to agree to fundamentally disagree. Embarrassed

You're probably right.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #859 on: August 19, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »

It seems like a no brainer to me. Altering your mental state with any sort of drug or alcohol, outside of necessary medical treatment, would seem to be sinful to me. The difference between MJ and alcohol to me is that I dont know anyone (maybe yall do) who smokes MJ without the intention to get high. One the other hand, practically everyone I know drinks alcohol without the intention to get drunk, or even buzzed. I can have a couple beers with friends without feeling a thing. Certainly should be used with caution though as I would agree that alcohol CAN be much more dangerous when abused.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #860 on: August 19, 2013, 10:45:41 AM »

Did anyone see the special the other night called Weed?  It was very interesting.  I haven't really worked out exactly what I believe, but it was a interesting perspective into the use of medical marijuana.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #861 on: August 19, 2013, 10:59:35 AM »

Does anyone know if there have been any relatively recent statements by a recognized Orthodox body (such as a synod) on this topic? I guess individual laypeople will have any number of opinions, but I don't read a lot of official church things, so I don't know what for instance the bishops have said about this. I am of the opinion that if the Bible says "Be not drunk on wine," it implies we shouldn't make ourselves drunk-like with other things. However, that is just my personal thing and I may be wrong. Thanks.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #862 on: August 19, 2013, 12:20:35 PM »

It seems like a no brainer to me. Altering your mental state with any sort of drug or alcohol, outside of necessary medical treatment, would seem to be sinful to me. The difference between MJ and alcohol to me is that I dont know anyone (maybe yall do) who smokes MJ without the intention to get high. One the other hand, practically everyone I know drinks alcohol without the intention to get drunk, or even buzzed. I can have a couple beers with friends without feeling a thing. Certainly should be used with caution though as I would agree that alcohol CAN be much more dangerous when abused.

There is a singular difference between the two. The God-Man turned water into wine and used wine at the Last Supper. This use continued at every Liturgy to the present should be remembered by those who in promoting MJ chose to disparage alcohol. I never use MJ and outside the communion cup only partake of a couple of wine glasses a year. Being drunk or stoned is altering your mental state, and certainly St John of Kronstadt viewed drunkenness as a serious sin.

As for those who drive while in a mind altered state due substance use I just hope neither me or mine find ourselves on the same road. Know enough officers on the Central Police Motorway Group who can testify neither substance improves drinking ability or 'chills out' drivers.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #863 on: August 19, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »

Caught sight of an article in today's The Times by Dr Mark Porter headlined "Cannabis is Dangerous".

The article won't change any bodies views, of course, but it is nice to have someone else say what I have been saying for a long time. In particular, with apologies to the author Lee Childs, it's effect of turning every day into Sunday. Certainly had that effect on some my clinical colleagues, much to my horror.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #864 on: August 20, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »

I'm late to this conversation, but I am absolutely dumbfounded by how many posts there are on this.  And, frankly, this is such a ridiculous topic that I Cannot believe that every possible angle has not been covered already.  What's the only reason to continue this?  There's no consensu, people are going to keep talking past each other for another 800 responses.  Seriously, what's the point?

This is applicable to many, many threads. You have managed to synthesize the feelings of so many. Thank you.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #865 on: August 20, 2013, 12:31:46 PM »

I'm late to this conversation, but I am absolutely dumbfounded by how many posts there are on this.  And, frankly, this is such a ridiculous topic that I Cannot believe that every possible angle has not been covered already.  What's the only reason to continue this?  There's no consensu, people are going to keep talking past each other for another 800 responses.  Seriously, what's the point?

This is applicable to many, many threads. You have managed to synthesize the feelings of so many. Thank you.
So what are you doing to improve the situation?
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #866 on: August 20, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »

(Fervent prayer with) tears?  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

« Reply #867 on: August 20, 2013, 01:09:39 PM »

I, for one, mostly just complain and point fingers at others.  I find that it helps immensely.  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #868 on: August 20, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »

Does anyone know of a case where a physician prescribed marijuana to a patient and the priest/bishop has blessed it (the action of using it as medicine, not blessing the marijuana itself)?  Just curious.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #869 on: August 20, 2013, 01:36:20 PM »

There is this street in chicago called weed. "I live on weed".
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #870 on: August 20, 2013, 02:03:45 PM »

Which is also near a street called Hooker.  Just saying. Tongue

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #871 on: August 20, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »

Does anyone know of a case where a physician prescribed marijuana to a patient and the priest/bishop has blessed it

Why would medical procedure need a blessing from a bishop?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #872 on: August 20, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »

Does anyone know of a case where a physician prescribed marijuana to a patient and the priest/bishop has blessed it

Why would medical procedure need a blessing from a bishop?
or, frankly, why should I care?

I respect the bishops, but if my doctor is telling me I should smoke weed or take a THC pill for medication...I'm doing it and I'm not looking for a blessing.

Peace.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #873 on: August 20, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »

Which is also near a street called Hooker.  Just saying. Tongue
yep. was biking in the area a couple days ago. i thought, how all things are mystically ordered.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #874 on: December 25, 2013, 10:47:36 AM »

yeah, I know it's not that. still looking funny

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #875 on: January 23, 2014, 02:55:18 PM »

Jan. 22, 2014 — Exposing adolescent rats to THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) –the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana—can lead to molecular and behavioral alterations in the next generation of offspring, even though progeny were not directly exposed to the drug, researchers at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai have found.
“Our study emphasizes that cannabis [marijuana] affects not just those exposed, but has adverse affects on future generations,” said Yasmin Hurd, PhD, the study’s senior author, and professor of psychiatry and neuroscience at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. “Finding increased vulnerability to drug addiction and compulsive behavior in generations not directly exposed is an important consideration for legislators considering legalizing marijuana.”
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:56:05 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Incognito777
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #876 on: January 24, 2014, 11:25:36 AM »

Recently, the OCF at my college was debating whether smoking marijuana was a sin.  I was wondering what any of your thoughts were regarding "smoking poit"

thank you

The last thing you want to do is ask college students. Ask your priest. Smoking anything is a sin. It is a sin to put toxic and mind altering things into the body, which is supposed to be holy, and a temple of the Holy Spirit.
Cackles
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #877 on: January 27, 2014, 12:25:09 AM »

Does anyone know if there have been any relatively recent statements by a recognized Orthodox body (such as a synod) on this topic? I guess individual laypeople will have any number of opinions, but I don't read a lot of official church things, so I don't know what for instance the bishops have said about this. I am of the opinion that if the Bible says "Be not drunk on wine," it implies we shouldn't make ourselves drunk-like with other things. However, that is just my personal thing and I may be wrong. Thanks.

The wine topic is a very, VERY biased one of the human flesh rather than the spirit.

Those who are repulsed by drinking (prophet Mohammed) will use the very same scriptures for backing their personal viepoint. Others will go the other way.

Then theres the realistic translation of what the would have meant in context and considering theyr limited language and alphabet.

I think alchohol in the bible speaks for itself...  as well as the daily health benefits.

I think being a 'that guy' at the Christmas party - 'the drunkard' also speaks for itself.

Then theres the opinion of man afterwards telling other men what to do.

The issue with the latter is limited free choice on the opinion of man, not what is written.

I mean... I've read lies on large blogs saying that wine wasnt invented back then and they really meant grape juice. These are the lengths people will go through in order to overule the Word into their own viewpoints.

God put MJ on the earth. By stomping out that plant you are stomping out Gods creaton which is stomping out God.

Mj is terribly addictive like ciggarettes and its best to be kept out of reach for easy sale at the stores.

However, those who want to exersize free will can chose to grow it at home or buy through private delivery service. No coffee shops, no corner stores, no advertising, no easy access.

If they really want to have an addiction like ciggarettes, then go ahead and use free will. Maybe it helps your OCD or whatever. Who am i to judge.

We need a common middle ground.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #878 on: August 11, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »

"Frequent marijuana use can have a significant negative effect on the brains of teenagers and young adults, including cognitive decline, poor attention and memory, and decreased IQ, according to psychologists discussing public health implications of marijuana legalization at the American Psychological Association's 122nd Annual Convention.
Additionally, people's acceptance of legalized medical marijuana use appears to have an effect on adolescents' perception of the drug's risks, according to Bettina Friese, PhD, of the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation in California. She presented results from a 2013 study of 17,482 teenagers in Montana, which found marijuana use among teenagers was higher in counties where larger numbers of people voted to legalize medical marijuana in 2004. In addition, teens in counties with more votes for the legalization of medical marijuana perceived marijuana use to be less risky."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:52:13 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #879 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:54 PM »

Not a orthodox video but still an interesting one to watch

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qesb2YvFako
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:31:01 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #880 on: August 11, 2014, 10:31:52 PM »

I was so hoping someone would resurrect this thread.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #881 on: August 11, 2014, 10:35:15 PM »

Wasn't me >_>

Kind of wish this thread would die in a horrible fire

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
kelly
God save Ukraine and Russia
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: mysterious iniquitousness

St. Brigid of Kildare, the Mary of the Gael

« Reply #882 on: August 11, 2014, 10:42:08 PM »

Wasn't me >_>

Kind of wish this thread would die in a horrible fire

Hopefully no marijuana plants will be harmed in said fire.

The Venerable Kelly of the OC.net internet caves
St. Kelly the Forumer.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #883 on: August 11, 2014, 10:42:27 PM »

We're under the effects of the super moon still. Also, it's Monday.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Tags: sin Orthodox Christian Fellowship marijuana alcohol drugs bee in bonnet pot weed 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: