OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 06:36:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is smoking marijuana a sin?  (Read 31259 times) Average Rating: 0
zaphod

« Reply #675 on: July 29, 2013, 10:11:14 AM »

WWJD?

Would he, given an opportunity, have smoked a bong in front of the disciples, thereby legitimising and encouraging the disciples (and everyone for all time), partaking this drug? Anyone want to seriously make that claim?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #676 on: July 29, 2013, 10:12:56 AM »

WWJD?

Would he, given an opportunity, have smoked a bong in front of the disciples, thereby legitimising and encouraging the disciples (and everyone for all time), partaking this drug? Anyone want to seriously make that claim?
I've always hated the WWJD argument, since it gives us the perfect opportunity to project onto Jesus our own personal likes and dislikes.
zaphod

« Reply #677 on: July 29, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »

I'm sorry for what you've had to suffer in your family life, I really am.  But these things apply to all of us.  As long as we keep judging others, we're part of the problem and not the solution.        

Is it judging others to point out that these losers encouraged my wife onto drugs and destroyed my family? Is that a bit judgemental?

Is it judgmental to notice that only last week one of these pot smoking folks took a key to my ex-wife's car, and keyed up every panel, because he was in a bad mood, not even a good reason?

Is it judgemental to notice what fools some of these people make of themselves, when they are on these drugs?

As Paul said, the signs of the sinful nature are obvious, and I'm just pointing out the obvious.

zaphod

« Reply #678 on: July 29, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »

WWJD?

I've always hated the WWJD argument, since it gives us the perfect opportunity to project onto Jesus our own personal likes and dislikes.

Hmm. The Orthodox Christian is called to be renewed into the proper image and likeness of God, and Christ as God's perfect image. How are you going to do that without taking your best shot at figuring out what Jesus would do? Imitate me as I imitate Christ Paul said. You seem to think that is a lost cause.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #679 on: July 29, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »

WWJD?

He did that with other drugs.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #680 on: July 29, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »

WWJD?

Such as?
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #681 on: July 29, 2013, 11:47:04 AM »

WWJD?

Such as?

Ethanol.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:47:34 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #682 on: July 29, 2013, 12:02:41 PM »

WWJD?

Agreed

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #683 on: July 29, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »

WWJD?

Such as?

Ethanol.

You said drugs. Plural. What else did Jesus use?

Ethanol doesn't count, as not only was it legal in His time and still is, but there is no evidence whatsoever that Jesus drank to the point of drunkenness.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:29:53 PM by LBK » Logged
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #684 on: July 29, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »

WWJD?

Such as?

Ethanol.

You said drugs. Plural. What else did Jesus use?

Isn't that enough?

Ethanol doesn't count, as not only was it legal in His time and still is,

What does that have to the fact for it being a drug?

but there is no evidence whatsoever that Jesus drank to the point of drunkenness.

He allowed others to do so.

BTW Mt 16, 19.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #685 on: July 29, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »

Isn't that enough?

No, it isn't. You said drugs, plural. Your words, not mine. What other drugs did Jesus use and condone?

As for Matt. chapter 16, there is nothing at all that's relevant to your claim. Chapter 19 also contains nothing.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #686 on: July 29, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »

My bad. Mt 11, 19.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #687 on: July 29, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »

For the Lazy:

Matthew 11:19
the Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Behold, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #688 on: July 29, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »

WWJD?

Hmm. The Orthodox Christian is called to be renewed into the proper image and likeness of God, and Christ as God's perfect image. How are you going to do that without taking your best shot at figuring out what Jesus would do? Imitate me as I imitate Christ Paul said. You seem to think that is a lost cause.
No. I just don't like seeing WWJD thrown around with no reference to the Gospel as our definitive authority of what Jesus would do. Without reference to the Gospel, all we have is whatever personal opinions we wish to project onto Jesus.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #689 on: July 29, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »

WWJD?

This user is no longer active.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #690 on: July 29, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »

WWJD?

How is what Mike said blasphemy? We cannot address the logic of his claim, so we get emotional and throw down the blasphemy card? I see a bit too much willingness to do that on this thread, and I don't think it productive.
At_Peace

« Reply #691 on: July 29, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »

My first post ! Personally, I am a regular marijuana smoker and I see no sin in it. It is not as if the plant is some synthetic chemical. If God caused the plant to naturally grow, and Genesis 9:3 clearly tells us "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.", then why not? Sure Paul told us to obey the law of the land, but that verse was under the assumption that the law would be fair and not contradict our faith. Surely, denying and condemning the use of one of God's creation can't be biblically correct? In context, you will see that Paul's intent when writing that was to make sure that us Christians would be good, disruptive citizens who pay our taxes, and fulfill our civic obligations. None of which are affected by smoking marijuana. Truly this "if it feels good then stop no matter what" attitude is what turn many away from Christ.

Personally, marijauna has vastly helped me in my spirituality. One of my favorite things to do is get high and walk around outside, experiencing nature. The state makes you feel one with God's creation. The songs of the birds sound more beautiful, the trees look great, the breeze feels even better, everything is more interesting. I also love to listen to Liturgical and other Christian music after "getting high". It makes my prayer and meditation much more effective. I feel such a powerful closeness with Christ. It really is beautiful.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:54:50 PM by At_Peace » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #692 on: July 29, 2013, 06:58:57 PM »

My first post ! Personally, I am a regular marijuana smoker and I see no sin in it. It is not as if the plant is some synthetic chemical. If God caused the plant to naturally grow, and Genesis 9:3 clearly tells us "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.", then why not? Sure Paul told us to obey the law of the land, but that verse was under the assumption that the law would be fair and not contradict our faith. Surely, denying and condemning the use of one of God's creation can't be biblically correct? In context, you will see that Paul's intent when writing that was to make sure that us Christians would be good, disruptive citizens who pay our taxes, and fulfill our civic obligations. None of which are affected by smoking marijuana. Truly this "if it feels good then stop no matter what" attitude is what turn many away from Christ.

Personally, marijauna has vastly helped me in my spirituality. One of my favorite things to do is get high and walk around outside, experiencing nature. The state makes you feel one with God's creation. The songs of the birds sound more beautiful, the trees look great, the breeze feels even better, everything is more interesting. I also love to listen to Liturgical and other Christian music after "getting high". It makes my prayer and meditation much more effective. I feel such a powerful closeness with Christ. It really is beautiful.
Shocked
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #693 on: July 29, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »

I prefer hemlock, which is also natural, but to each their own  Cool
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #694 on: July 29, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »

Shocked
Is that all you can say?
zaphod

« Reply #695 on: July 29, 2013, 10:30:24 PM »

My first post ! Personally, I am a regular marijuana smoker and I see no sin in it. It is not as if the plant is some synthetic chemical. If God caused the plant to naturally grow, and Genesis 9:3 clearly tells us "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.", then why not?

Given you the green plants.... to smoke? It is healthy to smoke every plant on earth? I think not.

Or eat? Is it healthy to eat every berry you come across?

Sure Paul told us to obey the law of the land, but that verse was under the assumption that the law would be fair and not contradict our faith. Surely, denying and condemning the use of one of God's creation can't be biblically correct?

So... making a law against feeding your kids poison berries would be contradicting your faith, because it would be condemning the use of God's creation?

In context, you will see that Paul's intent when writing that was to make sure that us Christians would be good, disruptive citizens who pay our taxes, and fulfill our civic obligations. None of which are affected by smoking marijuana.

My ex-wife dropped in to say hello just 10 minutes ago. She went up with my son to collect some of her possessions from her friend's place. Her friend's pot smoking husband threatened violence against my son for no reason, and the police had to be called in.

Oh, but I guess none of this is disruptive to society or our civic obligations.... Riiight...

It's a simple fact that marijuana makes you paranoid, and paranoia is disruptive to EVERYTHING.

Truly this "if it feels good then stop no matter what" attitude is what turn many away from Christ.

I'm not going to be the one who says you should stop doing it because it feels good. I'm saying you should stop it because its a dangerous drug that rots your brain.

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #696 on: July 30, 2013, 12:28:28 AM »

WWJD?

[im[/img]
How is what Mike said blasphemy? We cannot address the logic of his claim, so we get emotional and throw down the blasphemy card? I see a bit too much willingness to do that on this thread, and I don't think it productive.

Stating that God would smoke a bong... come on now. Who are we to say what God would and wouldn't do.

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #697 on: July 30, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »

He is referred to as "the most high God"... I'm just pointing out.  police
At_Peace

« Reply #698 on: July 30, 2013, 12:41:56 PM »

Quote from: zaphod
Given you the green plants.... to smoke? It is healthy to smoke every plant on earth? I think not.

Of course not. You've actually helped my argument. Just like its not healthy to eat every berry we see, but it is healthy to eat some of the berries we see because the fact that they are digestible and healthy mean that they were intended for our consumption. Why should the same principle not apply to certain plants for smoking?

So... making a law against feeding your kids poison berries would be contradicting your faith, because it would be condemning the use of God's creation?
Nope, because evidently, those poison berries were not intended for our consumption

My ex-wife dropped in to say hello just 10 minutes ago. She went up with my son to collect some of her possessions from her friend's place. Her friend's pot smoking husband threatened violence against my son for no reason, and the police had to be called in

Oh, but I guess none of this is disruptive to society or our civic obligations.... Riiight...
From what I can tell, your friend's pot-smoking husband may have some deeper issues than just marijuana. Just like angry drunkards usually have issues that run deeper than the chronic alcohol consumption itself.

It's a simple fact that marijuana makes you paranoid, and paranoia is disruptive to EVERYTHING.
In my experience, the only paranoia I feel when enjoying marijuana is the fear of getting caught. Beyond that, if anything, it has the exact opposite effect. But don't take my word for it! By all means, I encourage you to give it a try once or twice  Grin

I'm not going to be the one who says you should stop doing it because it feels good. I'm saying you should stop it because its a dangerous drug that rots your brain.

Many studies would disagree with that statement. Although I won't argue that it does make one very lazy and lethargic which is why I save it for my obligations are taken care of and for meditation/prayer/relaxation time.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:46:58 PM by At_Peace » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #699 on: July 30, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »

My first post ! Personally, I am a regular marijuana smoker and I see no sin in it. It is not as if the plant is some synthetic chemical. If God caused the plant to naturally grow, and Genesis 9:3 clearly tells us "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.", then why not?

Sure Paul told us to obey the law of the land, but that verse was under the assumption that the law would be fair and not contradict our faith. Surely, denying and condemning the use of one of God's creation can't be biblically correct?

In context, you will see that Paul's intent when writing that was to make sure that us Christians would be good, disruptive citizens who pay our taxes, and fulfill our civic obligations. None of which are affected by smoking marijuana.

My ex-wife dropped in to say hello just 10 minutes ago. She went up with my son to collect some of her possessions from her friend's place. Her friend's pot smoking husband threatened violence against my son for no reason, and the police had to be called in.

It is? You got any research to back this up? Anecdotal evidence about your ex-wife's friend's pot smoking husband doesn't count.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #700 on: July 30, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »

WWJD?

[im[/img]

Stating that God would smoke a bong... come on now. Who are we to say what God would and wouldn't do.
That doesn't address my question about how what Mike said is blasphemy.
zaphod

« Reply #701 on: July 31, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »

Of course not. You've actually helped my argument. Just like its not healthy to eat every berry we see, but it is healthy to eat some of the berries we see because the fact that they are digestible and healthy mean that they were intended for our consumption.

Whether marijuana is healthy or not is the very point at dispute. That it changes the way you think would at least presumptively make us assume "no".

Why should the same principle not apply to certain plants for smoking?

Nope, because evidently, those poison berries were not intended for our consumption

I turn it around and ask why would it include smoking? Why would smoking be something natural that God designed plants for? Do you see any other animals smoking stuff? Did the Israelites in the time of Moses when Genesis was written smoke? Hermeneutics 101.

From what I can tell, your friend's pot-smoking husband may have some deeper issues than just marijuana. Just like angry drunkards usually have issues that run deeper than the chronic alcohol consumption itself.

Whether that be the case is really irrelevant. As we know, drunkards and addicts are incapable of dealing with their issues. If inability to deal with your other issues were the only problem with marijuana, that would be enough to condemn it. But that isn't its only issue.

Would you claim that alcohol has no detrimental effects on families because angry drunk husbands who beat up their wives... oh well they probably had other issues?

Yup, my wife did me physical violence under the influence of marijuana. She NEVER did any such thing when she was sober.

Oh... but its ok, because I guess she had "other issues".

In my experience, the only paranoia I feel when enjoying marijuana is the fear of getting caught. Beyond that, if anything, it has the exact opposite effect. But don't take my word for it! By all means, I encourage you to give it a try once or twice  Grin

That you haven't yet experienced paranoia, doesn't mean it won't happen. It just means that lies ahead of you. I haven't experienced a road accident drunk driving yet, but it doesn't mean it won't happen if I continue a certain behavior.

Many studies would disagree with that statement.

Which serious medical studies conclude that marijuana has no detrimental effects on your mind?
zaphod

« Reply #702 on: July 31, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »

It is? You got any research to back this up? Anecdotal evidence about your ex-wife's friend's pot smoking husband doesn't count.

Really? I really have to prove what is common knowledge? Google marijuana and paranoid, and just see how many posts there are on marijuana user's message boards about what to do for paranoia.

If you want a scientist to say it, Scientific American says that common results of marijuana include "paranoia and irritability". The British Journal of Psychiatry says the most common adverse effects of marijuana are feelings of anxiety, paranoia or depression.

I mean, if you really want a fake high from drugs, why choose one that can make you depressed, anxious and paranoid?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #703 on: July 31, 2013, 01:48:34 PM »

Really? I really have to prove what is common knowledge? Google marijuana and paranoid, and just see how many posts there are on marijuana user's message boards about what to do for paranoia.
Just because you "know" it doesn't make it common knowledge.

If you want a scientist to say it, Scientific American says that common results of marijuana include "paranoia and irritability". The British Journal of Psychiatry says the most common adverse effects of marijuana are feelings of anxiety, paranoia or depression.
AFAIK, you could just be making this stuff up and attributing it to scientists. Can you post any links to the above statements?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:49:03 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #704 on: August 02, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »

Peter, would you ever smoke weed if it was legal?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #705 on: August 02, 2013, 12:38:47 AM »

I don't know. I might try it once just to see what it's like, but after that I would really have to have a use for it to continue smoking it.
john_mo
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #706 on: August 02, 2013, 03:36:50 AM »

Drinking- can make you feel over-confident
Marijuana- can make you feel overly self conscious. 

Both are not desirable, but if I were to pick one over the other, I would rather be overly self-conscious.  No hang-over with weed.

If you drink, don't become a drunk.  If you smoke pot, don't become a pot-head.  Why do we need to make it any more complicated than this?
At_Peace

« Reply #707 on: August 02, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »

Whether marijuana is healthy or not is the very point at dispute. That it changes the way you think would at least presumptively make us assume "no".
Why does the fact that it changes the way you think, make you lean towards no? Have you ever considered that, perhaps changing the way you think can be a positive thing? For me, I love that it changes the way I think, but in a great way! My imagination has been stretched, and I am much more creative. Not to mention the fact that, I am much more relaxed and calm in situations.

I turn it around and ask why would it include smoking? Why would smoking be something natural that God designed plants for? Do you see any other animals smoking stuff? Did the Israelites in the time of Moses when Genesis was written smoke? Hermeneutics 101.
The fact that those chemicals in the plants react with our bodies to produce that oh so pleasant feeling means to me that God intended the plants for our use. And so what if the Israelites didn't smoke marijuana? Just because the Israelites or Jesus didn't do something, doesn't mean that they by default would have disapproved of it.

Would you claim that alcohol has no detrimental effects on families because angry drunk husbands who beat up their wives... oh well they probably had other issues?
No, but I wouldn't use that to justify total abstinence of it as a whole. Alcohol is an organic compound material God made and approved for our consumption. When used in moderation, it is great to loosen up and have a good time. When abused...Well, you know how that goes. I would say that almost every single one of those drunk, abusive husbands all had deeper emotional, financial, or marital problems that needed to be addressed before the alcohol. Deal with those issues, and the alcohol issue would usually be much easier to solve. Same with weed.

Yup, my wife did me physical violence under the influence of marijuana. She NEVER did any such thing when she was sober.

Oh... but its ok, because I guess she had "other issues".
Now, as much as I doubt it, it could be possible that your wife, could be in that small minority of people that for whatever reason, she reacts horribly to marijuana, in which case I would advise her to get off of it. But , I would refrain from using her in your perception of how marijuana as a whole feels for society as a whole. I have a challenge for you. Try it yourself! I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. I challenge you to smoke marijuana yourself 2-3 times (usually people mess up their first time) and report your experiences back here. I will be very surprised if you don't change your mind.

That you haven't yet experienced paranoia, doesn't mean it won't happen. It just means that lies ahead  of you. I haven't experienced a road accident drunk driving yet, but it doesn't mean it won't happen if I continue a certain behavior.
Any paranoia I feel, is very minimal and overwhelmed in the sea of bliss I feel.  Grin

Which serious medical studies conclude that marijuana has no detrimental effects on your mind?
Here is a 15 year long study which found no link between cognitive decline and smoking marijauna:

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/149/9/794.full.pdf

Although there are definite short-term effects which are part of the "high", and maybe some after-effects of laziness, after a day or two, you feel back to 100%.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #708 on: August 02, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »

How about people who smoke pot, get in a car, fall asleep behind the wheel and hit a tree? Think that has never ever happened before?

Also, Bob Marley died of cancer. He smoked a lot of pot before he died, and yet he didn't see 40 in life. I have outlived him.

Why?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #709 on: August 02, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »

Any paranoia I feel, is very minimal and overwhelmed in the sea of bliss I feel.  Grin

Any psychosis?

Psychosis - a mental illness that markedly interferes with a person's capacity to meet life's everyday demands. In a specific sense, it refers to a thought disorder in which reality testing is grossly impaired.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=5110

You may not be able to accurately answer the question while under the influence of marijuana.

Although there are definite short-term effects which are part of the "high", and maybe some after-effects of laziness, after a day or two, you feel back to 100%.

That might be your experience with marijuana.  That can't be extrapolated to the general population as a whole.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #710 on: August 03, 2013, 12:31:59 AM »

Final conclusion

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #711 on: August 03, 2013, 02:11:29 AM »

How about people who smoke pot, get in a car, fall asleep behind the wheel and hit a tree? Think that has never ever happened before?
ISTM that the problem here is driving under the influence of intoxicants, not pot smoking in and of itself.

Also, Bob Marley died of cancer. He smoked a lot of pot before he died, and yet he didn't see 40 in life. I have outlived him.
Correlation does not prove causation.

Why?
Is that a rhetorical question?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #712 on: August 03, 2013, 02:12:56 AM »

Final conclusion

What fun is there in doing that?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #713 on: August 03, 2013, 02:40:21 AM »

I don't know. I might try it once just to see what it's like, but after that I would really have to have a use for it to continue smoking it.
I can't remember, you talked about medical benefits in the past right?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #714 on: August 03, 2013, 02:44:28 AM »

I do recall talking about that. However, the medical benefits I talked about apply only to specific conditions such as glaucoma, chemotherapy, and AIDS. I don't recall mentioning any general health benefits of smoking marijuana, if there are any.
john_mo
Elder

« Reply #715 on: August 03, 2013, 05:24:49 AM »

We've gone through all the normal arguments in favor of marijuana not being categorically worse than alcohol (i.e. not a sin).  From those arguing that it is a sin, we have seen anecdotal evidince, cultural rhetoric, quotes from saints that are off-topic and condemnation.  BTW, anecdotal evidence goes both ways.  They make it seem like we are arguing that it is okay to be a sketchy psycho pot-head.

To further bring you up to speed, whenever someone brings up a well-thought out argument complete with statistics in favor of it not being a sin, they are greeted with responses such as "That's so wrong" and "Why are you promoting sin?!"  Sometimes they just respond to whole arguments with one or two words or even just some sort of smiley face.

At this point we are still waiting for the usual suspect(s) to produce reasons for why alcohol and drinking is okay but taking a hit off a joint is not.
Final conclusion

Honestly, I wouldn't care so much if not for the fact that the anti-pot crowd can get rather preachy and judgmental as if we are siding with Arius.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:41:35 AM by john_mo » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #716 on: August 03, 2013, 06:20:29 AM »

Why?

There is absolutely no evidence to support the insinuation that Bob Marley's cancer was caused by his marijuana use. The cancer began in his toe, after he injured it playing soccer, then spread from there. I'm glad you have lived as long as you have, but it seems a bit judgmental and self-righteous to imply Bob died because he smoked herb.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
john_mo
Elder

« Reply #717 on: August 03, 2013, 06:38:05 AM »

Why?

There is absolutely no evidence to support the insinuation that Bob Marley's cancer was caused by his marijuana use. The cancer began in his toe, after he injured it playing soccer, then spread from there. I'm glad you have lived as long as you have, but it seems a bit judgmental and self-righteous to imply Bob died because he smoked herb.

Selam

Look, the point is that Bob smoked pot and was therefore selfish, aggressive, unmotivated and disorganized.  He was rude to people and frequently lept to judgement.  Oh no... wait...

It turns out that he was a deeply inspiring individual who wrote and recorded timeless music and went on world tour consistently while fervently advocating for peace.  Apparently he was also incredibly faithful.  All this while being one of the most well-known marijuana smokers in history!  He even had the drive to perform live shortly after being shot in an assassination attempt.  Not bad!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:43:20 AM by john_mo » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #718 on: August 03, 2013, 06:56:02 AM »

Why?

Selam

Look, the point is that Bob smoked pot and was therefore selfish, aggressive, unmotivated and disorganized.  He was rude to people and frequently lept to judgement.  Oh no... wait...

It turns out that he was a deeply inspiring individual who wrote and recorded timeless music and went on world tour consistently while fervently advocating for peace.  Apparently he was also incredibly faithful.  All this while being one of the most well-known marijuana smokers in history!  He even had the drive to perform live shortly after being shot in an assassination attempt.  Not bad!

True indeed. Although before his baptism he struggled with infidelity.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #719 on: August 03, 2013, 08:20:30 AM »

Not sure I would want to pin whether pot is good or bad on the complex life of one man, or jump to conclusions about why his life was cut short. Judgement on him is reserved to the Day of Judgement and not here.

Some of his music was good listening though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:20:56 AM by Santagranddad » Logged
Tags: sin Orthodox Christian Fellowship marijuana alcohol drugs bee in bonnet pot weed 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: